Wiki Posts
Search

Empty JFK-LHR flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 40 46'N 73 57'W; AA Gold; CO Silver
Smile Empty JFK-LHR flights

I think AA is really hurting (relatively) on their JFK routes and it's probably due to the lack of connecting traffic. This has to be a catalyst for the NYDBL promotion.

My wife took LHR-JFK last Friday and JFK-LHR last night (Fri) and both flights were half full. I took CO EWR-LHR last night, and it was packed (granted it was a 757) with the kiosk asking for volunteers.

I also in the last 3 months have taken another CO roundtrip EWR-LHR-EWR and British Airways LHR-JFK and all 3 were full. Another American LHR-JFK return I took in June on a Sunday night was maybe 70% full.

Frankly, I'm surprised AA has not been the price leader on this route - at various times in the last 4 months I have seen the lowest prices out of CO, DL, and BA but never AA.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has been hurting on the LHR routes from BOS and JFK for almost a year now, ever since tens of thousands of bankers and investment bankers were fired on both sides of the ocean late last summer. Those bankers flew lots of J and F tickets; BA has had the same problem with its LHR routes to BOS and JFK.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes and we should mention the transfer of all the LGW flights to LHR on CO, DL, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Lehman, Merrill Lynch and Bear Sterns were all significant NYC-LHR accounts that are now significantly smaller and part of Barclay's, BoA and Chase corporate programs. I do believe the reason BA is going forward with their LCY-JFK all J flights are they received some commitments from key corporate customers who wanted the service.

If BA/AA/IB immunity goes through there will be a number of significant changes on TATL schedules unless demand picks up pretty fast.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
OP- What was the departure time of your JFK-LHR flights? I have recently been on the 6:30p flight and it has been at least 95% full.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:08 pm

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 100K
I think AA is really hurting (relatively) on their JFK routes and it's probably due to the lack of connecting traffic. This has to be a catalyst for the NYDBL promotion.

SNIP...
One more reason that NYDBL makes no sense. If you want CONNECTING traffiffic, why create an inncentive for locals? Originating and terminating flights can't be connections (a tautology, yes.)

If it is indeed connecting traffic that matters, the proper thing to motivate is flights that actually connect. So, they could offer 3X miles on flights that transit through JFK and actally motivate the behavior they want to encourage. And, it would not incite the wave of fraudulent address changes.

Econ 101: Incentives matter.
Real World Management 101: That which gets measured gets done; that which gets measured and compensated gets done first.

I'm just a disappointed, LAX based economist,

Jim
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

JFK-LHR flights I base my observation on were all post-630p:
820p or 915p. My wife and I tend to take the late flights both ways to maximize the day.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Points well taken, jkearns, but
1) I don't know that my hypothesis on lack of connecting traffic is right;

2) Originating traffic is inherently more profitable than connective traffic;

I bet they want to fill it any way they can, and it's worth an added $50 subsidy or so one-way to do it for them.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
2) Originating traffic is inherently more profitable than connective traffic;
I would be interested in an explanation of this point of view, if the OP will indulge.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I would be interested in an explanation of this point of view, if the OP will indulge.
The hypothesis that originating traffic is more profitable is complex.

Profits come from both revenues and costs. The overall costs for serving an originating passenger are lower than the costs for a connecting passenger since connecting passengers use more resources. The marginal costs of some connection spokes are higher than others, however.

The revenue side is trickier since some spokes can be charged higher fares than others. Overall, our impressions tend to be biased by media-reported evidence of a "hub premium": average fares from hubs tend to be higher than average fares from non-hubs. That, however, varies widely by how competitive the situation is at a given hub, and tells us little about the relative profitability of O&D traffic at hubs in general.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I have no doubt that competing for connecting traffic, say STL-JFK-CDG yields less than trying to originate more JFK-CDG traffic simply because of higher competiton for the connecting traffic (STL-ORD-CDG, STL-IAD-CDG, whatever) and no perception of difference for most customers on those options.

There is no way that a hub's particular competitive situation (with multiple airports like New York and/or multiple carriers like DL/AA at JFK) can entirely offset the reality of the above.

The hub premium is real and stems from the price a carrier can extract from local residents for nonstop flights vs their alternative of taking connecting flights through another carrier's hub in another city.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I know for fact that traveling LGA/DFW/PDX roundtrip, is cheaper than a DFW/PDX roundtrip 90% of all the times we checked prices/fares.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:30 pm

I have no doubt that competing for connecting traffic, say STL-JFK-CDG yields less than trying to originate more JFK-CDG traffic simply because of higher competiton for the connecting traffic (STL-ORD-CDG, STL-IAD-CDG, whatever) and no perception of difference for most customers on those options.

There is no way that a hub's particular competitive situation (with multiple airports like New York and/or multiple carriers like DL/AA at JFK) can entirely offset the reality of the above.
I agree, not at New York for connecting to Europe, certainly. But substitute Miami for connecting to the Caribbean or Latin America, and the picture is quite different. There's no reality to offset, for many destinations lacking good connective access through other hubs.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:49 am

I have taken multiple JFK-LHR flights lately on AA 100 ( 6 PM ) as well as AA 132 ( 9 PM).. ALL flights in business and first were full.. I do not have the same experience as the OP.. ... My recent LHR-JFK was 100 percent full in all classes last week on the 4:35 PM departure from Heathrow....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TigerWould
I know for fact that traveling LGA/DFW/PDX roundtrip, is cheaper than a DFW/PDX roundtrip 90% of all the times we checked prices/fares.
Yes, and MKE/MSN/DSM - ORD- LHR is more expensive than ORD-LHR.

Another poster describes the situation as a hypothesis and noted that profit is a function of both revenue and cost. Hypotheses come to be accepted when supported by facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.