Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Oct 17, 18, 11:42 am
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by S.R View Post
If I'm flying CLL-DFW-LGA with CLL-DFW in Y (bc only Y on that aircraft) and DFW-LGA in F, what would my checked bag allowance be? No AA or OW status. Hoping that it would be the same 2 bags at 70lbs.

Thanks!
Anyone?
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:22 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
If I am flying EWR -> DFW -> LAX -> HNL on a ticket booked in Y, but 500 mile stickers clear on one segment in advanced before the day of departure, can I check two bags up to 70 LBS even though all of my flights aren't in first? I think the answer is yes, but I just wanted to make sure.
Old Oct 21, 18, 10:40 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Had in interesting incident with my mom flying in from CA on Friday. I booked her ticket about 2 weeks ago from my AAdvantage account (she has no status but is an authorized user on my Barclays Silver card). Plugged in her FF number and personal info, and placed the ticket on hold. Finally converted the hold to a booked ticket within 24 hours. No issues, no erroneous fees on the quick ticket side, no problems getting a decent seat assignment (blue seats).

On the ticket confirmation, the following appeared:

Day of travel, I checked her in. All good. Boarding passes printed, Precheck assigned, FF number in locator, etc.

She got to the airport, and got a wheelchair assist since she is limited in mobility. Went to front counter and got all set. There, the front counter agent insisted on collecting the checked baggage fee as my mon wanted to check a bag. My mom said it wasn't owed as AA.com's own website said no fee was owed. Agent insisted on collected a fee and implied that my mom had basically falsified the website printout. After 5 minutes of back and forth, my mom was wheeled off to the security checkpoint - with bag in tow. The bag fits in the overhead, but she prefers the ease now of checking a bag with her age.

So who was right in this instance and why would aa.com state -two- times now that there is no bag fee associated with her ticket?
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Had in interesting incident with my mom flying in from CA on Friday. I booked her ticket about 2 weeks ago from my AAdvantage account (she has no status but is an authorized user on my Barclays Silver card). Plugged in her FF number and personal info, and placed the ticket on hold. Finally converted the hold to a booked ticket within 24 hours. No issues, no erroneous fees on the quick ticket side, no problems getting a decent seat assignment (blue seats).

On the ticket confirmation, the following appeared:

Day of travel, I checked her in. All good. Boarding passes printed, Precheck assigned, FF number in locator, etc.

She got to the airport, and got a wheelchair assist since she is limited in mobility. Went to front counter and got all set. There, the front counter agent insisted on collecting the checked baggage fee as my mon wanted to check a bag. My mom said it wasn't owed as AA.com's own website said no fee was owed. Agent insisted on collected a fee and implied that my mom had basically falsified the website printout. After 5 minutes of back and forth, my mom was wheeled off to the security checkpoint - with bag in tow. The bag fits in the overhead, but she prefers the ease now of checking a bag with her age.

So who was right in this instance and why would aa.com state -two- times now that there is no bag fee associated with her ticket?
Why would there not be a fee?

The bag fee is dependant on the traveler's status/class of service, etc. Who bought the ticket is irrelevant.

I think the reservation computer gets confused when a FF with status uses miles to get a ticket for a non-frequent flyer.

Either way, the agent was correct on the fee.
Old Oct 22, 18, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
Why would there not be a fee?

The bag fee is dependant on the traveler's status/class of service, etc. Who bought the ticket is irrelevant.

I think the reservation computer gets confused when a FF with status uses miles to get a ticket for a non-frequent flyer.

Either way, the agent was correct on the fee.
This wasnít the web site, it was the ticket confirmation email. My understanding is that under US law, that is binding on the carrier. Even if thereís some way AAís lawyers have of getting out of that being legally binding, itís awful customer service (not that thatís likely to bother the new American) to disregard their own confirmation email, especially over $30. Yes, AA was wrong to list no fee on the ticket, but once they made that mistake, they were wrong to charge the traveler a fee.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by ashill View Post

This wasnít the web site, it was the ticket confirmation email. My understanding is that under US law, that is binding on the carrier. Even if thereís some way AAís lawyers have of getting out of that being legally binding, itís awful customer service (not that thatís likely to bother the new American) to disregard their own confirmation email, especially over $30. Yes, AA was wrong to list no fee on the ticket, but once they made that mistake, they were wrong to charge the traveler a fee.
Not sure who told you that, but it is simply wrong. The email is not legally binding. When you purchase a ticket, you agree to the terms in the Contract of Carriage and only the CoC.

However, I do agree, given the email, 100% it is poor customer service.
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:11 pm
dkp

I am AA platinum and traveling on the same rez with 4 other family members. I do not check bags but some of the family members want to check bags. I understand that they will receive same baggage privileges as me, i.e. first 2 checked bags free.

My question is - was I supposed to indicate that they wanted to check bags at the time I did online check-in? I usually just breeze through the check in process and checked in all 5 of us at once but, in the back of my mind, I think there is a question there about checking bags. Did I screw up or make it more difficult for them because I didn't indicate they wanted to check bags?

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not sure who told you that, but it is simply wrong. The email is not legally binding. When you purchase a ticket, you agree to the terms in the Contract of Carriage and only the CoC.

For travel to/from USA, the carrier is required to stipulate the baggage allowance plus the cost of additional bags in the eticket confirmation , so it is , iirc, binding

The CoC ( https://www.aa.com/intl/es/footer_en...OfCarriage.jsp ) does not define the baggage allowance
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

When I buy a ticket, is the PRICE for the ticket in the CoC? If not, then how is the price 'legally binding"? Point being that there may be aspects of a transaction that can be legally binding that arent in the CoC.

Are the rules for bag fees listed in the CoC when on a free ticket using miles from a child's account? Clearly the AA software imparts the account owners status to the booking (perhaps erroneously) then provides this erroneous information to the flyer in a manner in which they can rely on said info to their detriment. The CoCs are not clear on possibly the passenger being afforded the account holders status or not. Doenst say yeah or nay.

Finally Id have paid the fee, then insisted my credit card deal with a chargeback.
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post

Finally Id have paid the fee, then insisted my credit card deal with a chargeback.
I don't think that the card company would have processed it though - just not wanting to pay a charge is not grounds for a dispute - the airline would be able to provide a signed copy of the credit card slip to show that the purchase was made

If the charge was erroneous, it is something that I would expect to be able to get the airline to reverse
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I don't think that the card company would have processed it though - just not wanting to pay a charge is not grounds for a dispute - the airline would be able to provide a signed copy of the credit card slip to show that the purchase was made

If the charge was erroneous, it is something that I would expect to be able to get the airline to reverse
We've discussed this a few times. You and I.

The idea that a chrgeback is ONLY for errors or fraud is just an utterly false concept. You cll the creidt card company. You tell them "they chagred me for abag, but their email said it was free. Could you look into it?" They will.

This is a stated benefit of many (many) cards these days. If you are dissatisfied with a purchase most cards will assist.

Continuing to claim a cardmember can ONLY contest errors is a disservice.

Finally my life is way to important to me to waste my time dealing with airlines over reversing charges. They deal with AMEX.
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:34 pm

For travel to/from USA, the carrier is required to stipulate the baggage allowance plus the cost of additional bags in the eticket confirmation , so it is , iirc, binding

The CoC ( https://www.aa.com/intl/es/footer_en...OfCarriage.jsp ) does not define the baggage allowance
But go figure...THIS CoC does cover bags:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...e&from=footer?

click on bags.....
Old Oct 24, 18, 7:39 pm

But go figure...THIS CoC does cover bags:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...e&from=footer?

click on bags.....
It only states

All bags are subject to inspection. We will not accept checked or carry-on bags we think are unsuitable for transportation for reasons like size, weight or character.

Before you go to the airport, be sure to check our baggage page for information on all our checked and carry-on baggage policies.

There is then a link , which goes to outside of the CoC - the baggage allowances are not stated within the CoC
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:25 am

When I buy a ticket, is the PRICE for the ticket in the CoC? If not, then how is the price 'legally binding"? Point being that there may be aspects of a transaction that can be legally binding that arent in the CoC.

Are the rules for bag fees listed in the CoC when on a free ticket using miles from a child's account? Clearly the AA software imparts the account owners status to the booking (perhaps erroneously) then provides this erroneous information to the flyer in a manner in which they can rely on said info to their detriment. The CoCs are not clear on possibly the passenger being afforded the account holders status or not. Doenst say yeah or nay.

It only states

All bags are subject to inspection. We will not accept checked or carry-on bags we think are unsuitable for transportation for reasons like size, weight or character.

Before you go to the airport, be sure to check our baggage page for information on all our checked and carry-on baggage policies.

There is then a link , which goes to outside of the CoC - the baggage allowances are not stated within the CoC
In the American Airlines Conditions of Carriage it clearly states bag fees apply and provides a link as well as exceptions to the fees.
Old Oct 25, 18, 3:50 am

In the American Airlines Conditions of Carriage it clearly states bag fees apply and provides a link as well as exceptions to the fees.
Except that those links are outside of the CoC - anyway , if it says on the ticket that a certain number of bags are permitted free of charge , my understanding is that that is the entitlement. If charged where it should be free, then I would take it further

Search this Thread
Search Engine: