Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which oneworld airline's number was in the record? QR? AA? Some other?
Seems to be as post 1079 here--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29946190
Originally Posted by vikasr
I have a ticket booked using Avios in business class for 2 people from LGA to DEL. The flight is LGA to BOS on AA and from BOS to DOH and DOH to DEL on QR, all in first (AA) and business (QR). I am a Oneworld Sapphire.

QR allows 2 hand bags per person in business class.

Can anybody let me know how many hand bags will we be allowed on the AA flight from LGA to BOS? As per QR rules, 2 hand bags each will be allowed for BOS to DEL.
So may be BA Sapphire (but not stated)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The check in agent was correct

There is no additional allowance beyond 2 bags for a passenger holding OW Sapphire status

As per https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Originally Posted by OneWorld
Extra baggage allowance*

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines;

On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
Since you already had a 2 bag allowance, you had what you were entitled to

Only OW Emerald members get an extra piece on top of a ticketed allowance of 2
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Which oneworld airline's number was in the record? QR? AA? Some other?
IB number was in the record and the checkin agent could see and confirm the OW Sapphire tier but could not find any terms stating any additional baggage allowance and hence refused to allow additional bag.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Seems to be as post 1079 here--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29946190

So may be BA Sapphire (but not stated)
This query was regarding hand baggage.

To avoid last minute forced checkin situation of hand bag I then decided to pack the stuff to check the bag in as a fifth bag since I understand, from research on the internet, a total of 5 checked in bags should be allowed.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:33 pm

This query was regarding hand baggage.

To avoid last minute forced checkin situation of hand bag I then decided to pack the stuff to check the bag in as a fifth bag since I understand, from research on the internet, a total of 5 checked in bags should be allowed.
Your understanding is , however, incorrect and the airline was correct in charging for the extra piece. There is only additional allowance in that if

For piece based allowances
if ticketed allowance = 0 piece, then 1 piece permitted ( excluding BA hand baggage only fares )
if ticketed allowance = 1 piece, then 2 pieces permitted
If ticketed allowance = 2 or higher, then only the ticketed allowance permitted

for weight based allowances
15kg extra permitted
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Your understanding is , however, incorrect and the airline was correct in charging for the extra piece. There is only additional allowance in that if

For piece based allowances
if ticketed allowance = 0 piece, then 1 piece permitted ( excluding BA hand baggage only fares )
if ticketed allowance = 1 piece, then 2 pieces permitted
If ticketed allowance = 2 or higher, then only the ticketed allowance permitted

for weight based allowances
15kg extra permitted
Just to inform that I had applied for a refund of excess baggage charges paid for the 5th bag and have received the refund. So I would take it as in such an itinerary a total of 5 checked in bags are allowed.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:13 pm

Just to inform that I had applied for a refund of excess baggage charges paid for the 5th bag and have received the refund. So I would take it as in such an itinerary a total of 5 checked in bags are allowed.
I don't know why it gave a refund, but there is no entitlement to an extra piece except for those with OW Emerald status
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Through check baggage on 4 AA flight segments to final destination?

I have booked a four-flight domestic journey on American Airlines (all in First) on one ticket with the same PNR.
Flight details with departure and arrival timings as below:

15 Sept 2018: BOS-ORD - AA1509 - 07.17 am- 09.14 am
15 sept 2018 ORD-SEA - AA2586 - 20.15 pm - 22.40 pm
16 Sept 2018 SEA-CLT - AA600 - 00.06 am - 08.10 am
16 Sept 2018 CLT - MCO - AA1849 - 09.20 am - 11.00 am

We will be 2 pax, both BA Gold Exec.
Our aim is to check in our luggage in Boston all the way through to our final destination (Orlando) so that we can have a full day sightseeing in Chicago (ORD) without the hassle of carrying luggage, then get to AA Flagship lounge in Chicago around 6.00 pm, have a shower and dinner, then on to Orlando via Seattle and Charlotte. We had to do this itinerary to fit a Oneworld promotional fare that makes Seattle a mandatory transfer/stopover point .

My question is: Is through check baggage on 4 successive flights allowed? Has anybody made the experience? Apart from the first connection, all others are tight and will probably entail a miss if our luggage is not checked through all the way.

Thank you for enlightening me.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Allowed: Yes. Should a competent agent be able to do so: Yes.

If an agent is not able to get it checked though you should have to checked to SEA as you have a decent layover there and at that hour TSA shouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Allowed: Yes. Should a competent agent be able to do so: Yes.

If an agent is not able to get it checked though you should have to checked to SEA as you have a decent layover there and at that hour TSA shouldn't be a problem.
Is it? I was under the impression that AA didn’t through-check bags if the connection was over 11 hours. (Based on what I’ve read here on FT.)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One ticket / PNR? Should be able to. And using the AA app you can see if your bag has been loaded, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Djokison:
As per AA website below, for through checked luggage (free of charge) the max. connection time between any two AA flights is 12 hrs

​​​​​​https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

In any case I have written to AA customer relations about my issue and am awaiting their response. Will post their reply accordingly.

Last edited by lall; Aug 5, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by lall
I have booked a four-flight domestic journey on American Airlines (all in First) on one ticket with the same PNR.
Flight details with departure and arrival timings as below:

15 Sept 2018: BOS-ORD - AA1509 - 07.17 am- 09.14 am
15 sept 2018 ORD-SEA - AA2586 - 20.15 pm - 22.40 pm
16 Sept 2018 SEA-CLT - AA600 - 00.06 am - 08.10 am
16 Sept 2018 CLT - MCO - AA1849 - 09.20 am - 11.00 am

OT but You're flying ORD-CLT via SEA? Damn.......
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I see OP’s note about OW fare sale. How do you get those and are these for anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.