Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I have an business class ticket connecting from AA domestic to JL international to Japan.. (booked as an AA award) I'm wondering what the baggage allowance would be.. It should be 3 according to JL website, but AA agent told me only 2.. Is there any luck for me to check in 3 luggages?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:40 pm

Newbie to AA. Need your help and appreciate your input very much.
I have: domestic round trip on AA, connecting to round trip international on non-AA/non-One World partner. Domestic and International are on two separate PNR tickets
What would be my baggage allowance on the outbound?: AA ⇒International (I take any checked-in luggage will cost $$ since AA will be the 1st airline on the trip.). I also have to pickup and re-check my baggage at the connecting airport. If a connection is less than 4 hours to the international flight, still no GO with AA, Am I correct?

Return trip: International ⇒AA (Will I be able to interline/thru-check my luggage to AA domestic? International is on a Star Alliance metal). Connection is less than 4 hours. Do I have to pick up/re-check and pay the fee at the connecting airport or will 1st international carrier interline the baggage? If the Intl carrier can interline the baggage, I can take earlier flight on AA home. If not, then I would need all that time (up to 4 hr, just in case) to do the pick-up/re-check at the connecting airport.

I am a general member of AA and Star Alliance mileage program but no status.
Thank you so much!!

Last edited by msiamsia; Nov 27, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by msiamsia
Newbie to AA. Need your help and appreciate your input very much.
I have: domestic round trip on AA, connecting to round trip international on non-AA/non-One World partner. Domestic and International are on two separate PNR tickets
What would be my baggage allowance on the outbound?: AA ⇒International (I take any checked-in luggage will cost $$ since AA will be the 1st airline on the trip.). I also have to pickup and re-check my baggage at the connecting airport. If a connection is less than 4 hours to the international flight, still no GO with AA, Am I correct?

Return trip: International ⇒AA (Will I be able to interline/thru-check my luggage to AA domestic? International is on a Star Alliance metal). Connection is less than 4 hours. Do I have to pick up/re-check and pay the fee at the connecting airport or will 1st international carrier interline the baggage? If the Intl carrier can interline the baggage, I can take earlier flight on AA home. If not, then I would need all that time (up to 4 hr, just in case) to do the pick-up/re-check at the connecting airport.

I am a general member of AA and Star Alliance mileage program but no status.
Thank you so much!!
These are two totally independent tickets so no baggage allowance will carry over, you will not be able to check bags through, and if you miss a connection then you will be on your own. The baggage allowance and fees will be those for your class of service on the respective airline. If it is any consolation it would be the same if it was all Oneworld or even all AA, except that AA will accommodate missed connections if both flights are Oneworld.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
These are two totally independent tickets so no baggage allowance will carry over, you will not be able to check bags through, and if you miss a connection then you will be on your own. The baggage allowance and fees will be those for your class of service on the respective airline. If it is any consolation it would be the same if it was all Oneworld or even all AA, except that AA will accommodate missed connections if both flights are Oneworld.
Thank you. That is what I thought. Glad that I intended it but did not purchase the ticket yet. I would be fine with the return trip but outbound only gives 1 hr connection (within which I have to pick-up/re-check, and I see a big problem there already). Again, thank you so much!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Hey guys, two questions regarding bags and the AA Citi Platinum world elite...
-would bag fees to Jamaica be covered? It technically says "domestic" fees are covered, but this international route still charges fees
-does the Citi card need to be used to purchase to tickets to get the free bag?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:46 am

Hi there. Am I allowed to check a box on an AA domestic flight? I'm Platinum. Also, what are the size/weight restrictions. FYI: it's a big (but lightweight) box.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA ExP;HHonors Diamond;IHG GOLD;SPG Gold
AA Baggage Policy (to merge)

Firstly Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.

I have a question about baggage allowances. My family flew into the UK from the US and I used my worldwide upgrades for the 4 of them. One of the group brought 2 bags, which is allowed. When they fly back they will be coach. Does that mean that there will be a charge for the bag on the return. Many thanks
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rjohnmurray

I have a question about baggage allowances. My family flew into the UK from the US and I used my worldwide upgrades for the 4 of them. One of the group brought 2 bags, which is allowed. When they fly back they will be coach. Does that mean that there will be a charge for the bag on the return. Many thanks
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well.

In this instance, the baggage permitted is governed by class of service. If a person was allowed two bags because they were in Business (regardless of how they got there), if the return is in Economy their baggage limitations will be based on their cabin of service. The second bag is likely to cost $100. Link

We will probably merge this into the AA baggage master thread soon.

/Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
IME, if an EXP is in the same PNR as non-elites, everyone in the same PNR gets the increased baggage allowance.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rjohnmurray

Your post is written so as to suggest that you, an EXP, are not traveling with them. If that is the case and based solely on the facts you have stated, the allowance will be the standard Y allowance for each of the 4. If you are one of the 4, then your EXP waiver will cover the second bags.

Would you please clarify whether you are one of the 4.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
IME, if an EXP is in the same PNR as non-elites, everyone in the same PNR gets the increased baggage allowance.
That's interesting. I flew out last week (we had four bags for the four of us), and I was concerned that I was going to have to fallback on the Executive Citi card bag allowance (up to 8 bags). The problem with the Exec Citi exemption is that you lose the EXP right to have bags more than 50 lbs (darn fine print). Either way, the agent didn't request anything from me and just processed the four bags, and I'm guessing this is why.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, HH Diamond & some others
AA through check baggage to AA - sep tickets

Searched as best I can but seem to get conflicting info, so was hoping someone on here could give me latest experiences.

I am travelling LAX-MIA on AA in D-class so Biz/First ticket, then on a separate award ticket AA MIA-SDQ (Santo Domingo) in Economy. Both tickets are issued by BA not AA. Each ticket has a separate PNR. Connection time just over 2 hours. I am BA GGL so Oneworld Emerald if that helps any.

The official rules i think would say no, collect bags in MIA and re-check, which would necessitate an overnight stay for me as the connection time is tighter than I would like for doing that, but is well within the standard MCT which of course doesn't apply on separate tickets in different PNRs.

But then quite a few references that AA will through check baggage in these instances but that seems discretionary not policy.

Appreciate the latest views. If need be I will just shift the inbound LAX-MIA to an earlier flight but then I will miss out on the wide-body service and I know from the rest of my itinerary I need the sleep time on that flight this time around, and no chance I will sleep on a regular A321. Or I will shift the MIA-SDQ to the next day and just overnight at MIA. Before I push the button on either of those options really appreciate the latest views and news as I decide whether to take my chances or not.

Thanks all and apols in advance if the answer to my question is already out there in a thread, just cannot find it right now.

All best
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s quite clear. On separate PNRs and ticketing, under normal circumstances, AA will not check your baggage through. You will have to recover and recheck. AA was possibly the biggest impetus behind the oneworld policy that allows one world airlines to opt out of through checking baggage with separate ticketing precisely to try to force passengers to purchase more pensive through ticketing.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
One World Emerald extra baggage allowance on RFS economy Avios redemption (on BA).

Can I, and all the members of my party (on same booking), take an extra check-in bag thanks to MY One World Emerald status (QR Platinum) ?

I think so, but just not absolutely sure given that it's an Avios redemption.
If they were paid economy seats (except for HBO) then it would be fine and given as Avios seats are not HBO I presume we can take an extra bag EACH.

Cheers.
(Below taken from BA site):

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...age-allowances

Silver and Gold Executive Club Members and equivalent members in other oneworld frequent flyer programmes get additional baggage allowances.

Tier Baggage allowance
Gold/oneworld Emerald

One additional checked bag in any travel class

For everyone in your booking, except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares*

A weight allowance of 32kg (70lb) per checked bag.

*You must be travelling on the booking for these benefits to apply. They apply to British Airways flights only and are not available to infant Members who are travelling without their own seat. Not available on group rate bookings.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Baggage Policy - OW Sapphire

I have a couple of questions relating to AA bag policy please -

We are arriving in SJC in BA First and connecting - but on a separate ticket - to LAX in AA coach. There are two of us on the same itinerary and I am a OW Sapphire (BA Silver).

It looks like I can take 2 bags free based on my OW status, but limited to 51lbs / 23kg each.

1. Does the free bag policy extend to all members of the party (on BA it does).
2. If I go overweight, does my status get me any relief from those fees?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.