Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Deltahater

AUS-DFW-LON//VIE-FRA-DFW-AUS, all operated by AA, except for VIE-FRA, which was operated by HG (NIKI).

As you would expect I was dinged 100 EUROS for excess luggage in VIE by HG. HG told me that they are not part of OW yet, so their own rules apply.

AA told me that they cannot dictate other airlines' baggage rules and regulations, so I am on my own.

If I understand this Resolution correctly, my AA baggage allowance should have applied in this case on my HG segment, correct?
Not unless the HG-operated VIE-FRA segment was an AA-coded flight. Try reading your paste of the U.S. reg again.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
I presume that U.S. law cannot apply to a non U.S. carrier that does not even fly to the U.S. for a segment that is completely outside of the U.S.

While the intent is for the rule to be a broad as possible, it is unenforceable in this case....
Wow, that's a completely unwarranted assumption.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Here is my situation and I would like the experts to sound check me here.

ticket issued by AA.

AUS-DFW-LON//VIE-FRA-DFW-AUS, all operated by AA, except for VIE-FRA, which was operated by HG (NIKI).

As you would expect I was dinged 100 EUROS for excess luggage in VIE by HG. HG told me that they are not part of OW yet, so their own rules apply.
If you want to pursue this further, you should file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not unless the HG-operated VIE-FRA segment was an AA-coded flight. Try reading your paste of the U.S. reg again.
The VIE-FRA was not an AA-code share.
Looks like the IATA resolution does not apply but the US reg does.
I'll talk to AA
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:26 am

I am not sure it's entirely helpful for the threads to be merged, as for the most part, my query isn't about interline fees, but hey ho.

I have had a response back from my message to AA. They have declined to answer and tell me to contact reservations, which pretty much puts me back at square one.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm a little confused after reading the rules so I figured that I'll just throw this one out for the crowd to handle....

I've got a 2 separate tickets BWI-JFK on AA and JFK-LHR on BA in First. I know (at least think) that the interlining will happen but what (if any will my fees be)...

ie.. I think that the MSC should be BA, correct? meaning that I should have some baggage allowance? or will I be goverened soley by my separate BWI-JFK segment, for which I will have to pay (which I am ok to do, if that's the rule)

FDW
Old May 25, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Codeshare Flights
Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and oneworld affiliates are eligible for mileage accrual.

since the flight is not operated by a oneworld carrier , or a oneworld affiliates I would not expect to earn AA mileage on it .
But Vueling is a OneWorld (IB) affiliate in one sense of the word.

Does anyone have a test case on this? Does N or V class with an IB code, operated by Vueling earn 60% on AA? Or will I have to be the test case tomorrow and give up a precious few Avios?
Old May 25, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HansGolden
But Vueling is a OneWorld (IB) affiliate in one sense of the word.
The only 'sense of the word' that matters is this bit :

oneworld Affiliate Airlines

Air Nostrum
Iberia Express

If it isn't operated by one of those two you are not going to get AA miles.

If you can get Avios for this flight I would go for it, no point in trying to test something as clearly set out as this.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
I flew Vueling back in Nov 11 LIS-MAD. Added aa # @ checkin. No miles.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly! If one earned AA miles or received any oneworld benefits, I'd consider it a lucky fluke.

Originally Posted by Mark_T
The only 'sense of the word' that matters is this bit :

oneworld Affiliate Airlines

Air Nostrum
Iberia Express

If it isn't operated by one of those two you are not going to get AA miles.

If you can get Avios for this flight I would go for it, no point in trying to test something as clearly set out as this.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I am looking at flying from BCN to CDG next month and found a pretty good fare on iberia.com (actually to Orly, but I can transfer) - but then see that it is operated by Vueling. Anybody know if my OneWorld status will do anything for me on the bag fees since it is an Iberia codeshare?

My wife and I travel with 3 checked bags -- the third bag is small, but since the first two are usually right at 50 lbs (Vueling's 23kg limit), I calculated the 3rd bag would cost me 100 Euros or more under their rules.
These would be 533 miles?

I have found that buying the ticket directly from Vueling.com is much cheaper than buying the IB codeshare.

Even if you get AA miles, is the price difference worth the miles you'd get?
Old May 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Gold, M&S Gold, QF Gold
I took a flight with vueling last year booked by Iberia and got no miles in my LAN account.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
I presume that U.S. law cannot apply to a non U.S. carrier that does not even fly to the U.S. for a segment that is completely outside of the U.S.

While the intent is for the rule to be a broad as possible, it is unenforceable in this case (try taking HG to small claims court and you will see), and is the exact equivalent of, for example, the South African government dictating JetBlue's baggage policies on interline tickets sold by SA (SA interlines with B6).
Actually, I believe it is enforcable since my interpretation of the DoT rule is that they hold the ticketing/marketing carrier liable. So you could in theory pursue a claim against them even if the operating carrier is a non-US carrier and doesn't fly to the US. It is then up to the carrier that issued your ticket (which presumably does business in the US) to recover the baggage fee from the operating carrier.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Actually, I believe it is enforcable since my interpretation of the DoT rule is that they hold the ticketing/marketing carrier liable. So you could in theory pursue a claim against them even if the operating carrier is a non-US carrier and doesn't fly to the US. It is then up to the carrier that issued your ticket (which presumably does business in the US) to recover the baggage fee from the operating carrier.
Interesting; it's been a while I have read the regs and that nuance had escaped me.

So I guess this also applies to the one-person "Mary's Travel & Tours" down the road, who, through the magic of the GDS, sells tickets on over 400 airlines. A bit of a dilemma for Mary, since I can't see her ever recovering anything from HG or any of the other airlines she can sell but aren't subject to US law or DOT jurisdiction (due to their lack of presence in the US).

The amounts are so small that probably in most cases they will just end up being written off instead of testing the law in court.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:47 am

What about redeeming AA awards on Vueling?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:07 am
Suspended

You can't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.