Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old May 2, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You have a U.S. origin airport: U.S. DOT single-ticket/single allowance applies.

You acquired the ticket from AA (and perhaps a web site directed to U.S. consumers): U.S. DOT luggage allowance disclosure rules apply.

Check your ticket receipt. The standard luggage allowance will be there.
Thanks. AA allows 3 x 70 lb bags for OWE so I am all set.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Sorry, but that is wrong.

Under US law, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment, applies to all segments on the ticket.
Regrets, but you are wrong. DOT rules are different for international vs. domestic.

The Department has accepted, with some conditions, the “most significant carrier” (MSC)methodology set forth in IATA Resolution 302. Does section 399.87 permit carriers to use the MSC methodology to determine which carrier’s baggage rules apply to international single ticketinterline and code-share itineraries?

emphasis below is mine

The section 399.87 requirement that U.S. and foreign carriers apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger’s itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary does not prohibit carriers from using the “most significant carrier” (MSC) methodology for international flights set forth in IATA Resolution 302, as conditioned by DOT Order 2009-9-20, to determine which carrier’s baggage rules apply to international itineraries. However, as is the case with all IATA resolutions, Resolution 302 is not binding on IATA or non-IATA carriers.

Accordingly, if the first segment of a ticket is not a code-share flight, then the airline operating that segment determines the baggage fees and allowances that apply throughout that passenger’s journey/itinerary. If the
first segment of a ticket is a code-share flight, then the marketing carrier for that segment determines the baggage allowances and fees that would apply on all the remaining flights on that ticket.
The carrier for the first flight on the ticket is free to apply the MSC approach, as conditioned by DOT.
In that event, the MSC carrier’s baggage allowances and fees apply to all segments on that ticket, including the
first segment. Note, however, that whatever methodology the carrier follows to determine the applicable baggage allowance and fees, the baggage information must be disclosed in a number of different ways --- on
the first screen where a fare quotation for a specific itinerary is provided as required in section 399.85(b), on e-ticket confirmations as required in section 399.85 (c), and on the website where fees for optional services
are listed as required in section 399.85(d).

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAPP_2_FAQ.pdf
Old May 2, 2015, 9:39 pm

who is the overwater carrier... You'll pay/ receive the allowance for that carrier.

If you fly LAX-JFK-LHR. your allowance is based on the JFK LHR. Even if LAX-JFK is in Y. If you are flying LAX-NRT-HKG and only one segment is first and another econ. it's based on the overwater carrier.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Thanks. AA allows 3 x 70 lb bags for OWE so I am all set.
Not so fast. Does your ticket show 3 x 70 lb bags? I agree with 3Cforme that the allowance is shown on the ticket.

I suspect you would find that it does not show 3 x 70 lb, since OW status doesn't entitle you to extra on EY.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jridge
Not so fast. Does your ticket show 3 x 70 lb bags? I agree with 3Cforme that the allowance is shown on the ticket.

I suspect you would find that it does not show 3 x 70 lb, since OW status doesn't entitle you to extra on EY.
I don't have a ticket only a itinerary which doesn't show baggage allowance.

I can call AA and ask, but I am not confident if the check-in agents will be on the same page or not, so I was trying to see if I could find info from the guys here (who IME know better than the phone agents).
Old May 2, 2015, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry, but that is wrong.

Under US law, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment, applies to all segments on the ticket. Thus, the allowance for your AA/US domestic segment will apply to the entire ticket.

However, as you are on an F award, even though seated in domestic Y, you should receive the AA F allowance.
The 1st marketing carrier's baggage policy applies - not allowance

The 1st marketing carrier can choose whether to apply its allowance or that of the MSC

The Cathay website has quite a good detail on this issue
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_A...r-journey.html

Originally Posted by Middleseatguy
who is the overwater carrier... You'll pay/ receive the allowance for that carrier.

If you fly LAX-JFK-LHR. your allowance is based on the JFK LHR. Even if LAX-JFK is in Y. If you are flying LAX-NRT-HKG and only one segment is first and another econ. it's based on the overwater carrier.
That is not the case of how it is determined - there is no such thing as "overwater carrier" when it comes to fares/baggage allowances - for a trip containing a domestic AA sector followed by a JL sector , it is AA's policy that applies

AA does, I believe, defer to the MSC , which in this case is JL rather than apply its own rules

The AA ticket receipt will detail what the baggage allowanc is , so no need to have to figure it out. The easiest way for OP to be certain is to look at the ticket

JL's baggage allowance are 2x23Kg in economy/premium economy and 3x32Kg in business/1st, so with JL's allowance it will be 3x32Kg

As it happens, it is a rather non issue since 3x32Kg is exactly the same as what AA would allow for 1st class

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 2, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I don't have a ticket only a itinerary which doesn't show baggage allowance.
OK. I'd say you get the EY allowance, with no extra entitlement due to OW status (since EY is not OW). Check ticket once it is issued.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Get a ticket. Until you have that you don't need to worry about baggage allowance, you need to worry about whether EK is accepting your reservation and confirming. If it's been 72 hours, call back and push. Hard.

2. DOT rules provide that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment apply to the entire ticket. But, fee waivers granted for status, CC's and the like, do not. Thus, the allowance for AA domestic Y will apply to the entire ticket as a minimum. You will receive waivers according to status as appropriate from each carrier.

3. Forget about MSC. That went out in 2011. While the first marketing carrier could chose to apply MSC rules, no US carrier does, so irrelevant for your purposes.

4. When you do receive your e-ticket receipt, DOT rules require that the allowance be shown on the receipt. That is what check in agents will see at each station. If wrong, get them corrected before travel. Fighting with check in agents overseas about DOT rules is a losing proposition.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:20 am

AA codeshare baggage allowance

I have been trying to search for an answer but I couldn't find an answer. I don't have any status with OW. As far as I understand, baggage rules depend on operating carrier. Let's say I fly economy this route DFW-ORD-LHR*-KUL* with no stopover. The * denotes AA codeshare operated by MH.

Am I correct with the following:
1. Outgoing flight, I get only one checked bag allowance without fee.
2. Return flight, I get 2 checked bags up until ORD then 1 checked bag for the ORD-DFW legs since I have to rechecked my bag there.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Presuming that by "route" you mean "ticket", US rules provide that the baggage allowance for the marketing (not operating) carrier of the first segment apply to the entire ticket. Thus, presuming that DFW-ORD segment is marketed by AA, the rules for that segment will apply for the entire ticket, e.g. all the way to KUL. If a carrier happens to provide more than that allowance, that is to the good.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:00 pm

I am sorry if this is considered cross-posting, I couldn't find this thread before.

Anyway, I made a dummy booking in a single econ ticket of the following route KUL*-LHR*-ORD-DFW. The * denotes AA codeshare flight operated by MH. So, on the baggage allowance section, it shows

It seems AA uses MSC rules and MH should be the MSC with 2 baggage allowance but as you can see in the screenshot, 2nd bag cost over 1 million?
Old May 3, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by guear
I am sorry if this is considered cross-posting, I couldn't find this thread before.

Anyway, I made a dummy booking in a single econ ticket of the following route KUL*-LHR*-ORD-DFW. The * denotes AA codeshare flight operated by MH. So, on the baggage allowance section, it shows

It seems AA uses MSC rules and MH should be the MSC with 2 baggage allowance but as you can see in the screenshot, 2nd bag cost over 1 million?
I would suspect that there is an error in the details provided. I would be rather surprised if there was actually a $1.3 million charge for the bag

MH's allowance for economy class is a maximum of 2 bags total with a combined weight not to exceed 30Kg

Note : that is not 30Kg per bag , but 30 Kg total

AA does defer to MSC where applicable
Old May 3, 2015, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Regrets, but you are wrong. DOT rules are different for international vs. domestic.

The Department has accepted, with some conditions, the “most significant carrier” (MSC)methodology set forth in IATA Resolution 302. Does section 399.87 permit carriers to use the MSC methodology to determine which carrier’s baggage rules apply to international single ticketinterline and code-share itineraries?

emphasis below is mine

The section 399.87 requirement that U.S. and foreign carriers apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger’s itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary does not prohibit carriers from using the “most significant carrier” (MSC) methodology for international flights set forth in IATA Resolution 302, as conditioned by DOT Order 2009-9-20, to determine which carrier’s baggage rules apply to international itineraries. However, as is the case with all IATA resolutions, Resolution 302 is not binding on IATA or non-IATA carriers.

Accordingly, if the first segment of a ticket is not a code-share flight, then the airline operating that segment determines the baggage fees and allowances that apply throughout that passenger’s journey/itinerary. If the
first segment of a ticket is a code-share flight, then the marketing carrier for that segment determines the baggage allowances and fees that would apply on all the remaining flights on that ticket.
The carrier for the first flight on the ticket is free to apply the MSC approach, as conditioned by DOT.
In that event, the MSC carrier’s baggage allowances and fees apply to all segments on that ticket, including the
first segment. Note, however, that whatever methodology the carrier follows to determine the applicable baggage allowance and fees, the baggage information must be disclosed in a number of different ways --- on
the first screen where a fare quotation for a specific itinerary is provided as required in section 399.85(b), on e-ticket confirmations as required in section 399.85 (c), and on the website where fees for optional services
are listed as required in section 399.85(d).

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAPP_2_FAQ.pdf
I am not wrong. OP's question is about AA. And, as I've noted, no US carrier has chosen to use MSC and it is accordingly a non-issue for those with a first segment marketed by a US carrier. This decision also obviates the domestic/international distinction which could, but does not occur.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:08 pm

I am not wrong. OP's question is about AA. And, as I've noted, no US carrier has chosen to use MSC and it is accordingly a non-issue for those with a first segment marketed by a US carrier. This decision also obviates the domestic/international distinction which could, but does not occur.
AA uses MSC
Old May 3, 2015, 3:16 pm

Do you have a reference for AA rule? The screenshot above clearly shows AA uses MSC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.