Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:47 pm

Do I need to re-check baggage with connecting flights on 2 different reservations?

I have a ticket from DFW to ORD on AA, then another ticket from ORD to KUL on Malaysia airline. ORD to NRT is operated by AA, then from NRT to KUL is operated by MH. Do we need to claim our baggage at Chicago and re-check the baggage to Kuala Lumpur?

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by CCYTravel
I have a ticket from DFW to ORD on AA, then another ticket from ORD to KUL on Malaysia airline. ORD to NRT is operated by AA, then from NRT to KUL is operated by MH. Do we need to claim our baggage at Chicago and re-check the baggage to Kuala Lumpur?

Thanks
No, unless you have a stopover in ORD.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

You can have your baggage sent through, because Malaysia is in Oneworld. With 2 separate tickets, AA will not interline baggage, except to Oneworld airlines. It's a bit confusing, but anyway, you are OK as long as you have sufficient connection time and it's on the same day.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:08 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yup - you'll be fine. When you're checking in at DFW, just show the AAgent your ticketed reservation on Malaysia Airline. (Just to be safe, have the full itin with actual ticket number.)

Just FYI: AA actually used to check bags through on separate tickets for a big list of airlines with which it had interline baggage agreements; however, it's recently changed that practice. Now AA only through-check bags on AA, American Eagle, US, US Express, and oneworld partner airlines' flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-tickets.html
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:19 pm

Thank you all. Another question, international flights allow 2 free checked bags, while domestic doesn't, how does it come in play with this trip?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you are on separate tickets, you will be charged by AA the bag fees applicable for your domestic flight. Presuming that you are in Y and have no status, that will be $60 for 2 bags.

A kindly agent might waive the fees, but don't ask for it and don't count on it and you won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Baggage $ 64,000 Question

Hi all,

Will a bag checked from Paris to Montreal via JFK be automatically transfered or should I claim it in JFK and re-check it ? I thought I knew the rules, but this is a situation I have never faced. There must be a rule, though...

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hi all,

Will a bag checked from Paris to Montreal via JFK be automatically transfered or should I claim it in JFK and re-check it ? I thought I knew the rules, but this is a situation I have never faced. There must be a rule, though...

Thanks
When you check in the bags will be tagged all the way to YUL, but you'll have to reclaim at JFK and drop back off at the bag drop outside customs.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You must pick up your bag and clear US customs at your first stop in the US. You can re-check the bag immediately after you clear customs without needing to drag it out to the regular checkin counter.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You must pick up your bag and clear US customs at your first stop in the US. You can re-check the bag immediately after you clear customs without needing to drag it out to the regular checkin counter.
Whilst mostly true, there are some situations where this is not needed. Some airlines at some airports (MIA springs to mind) have an agreement where International to international connections do not require bags to be collected. Reference: http://www.miami-airport.com/baggage_international.asp
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:37 pm

A bit OT, but is there an AA drop-off counter in T7, for those making IB-AA connections in JFK?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA and DFW also has some ITI operations.

But going back to OP, you will have to claim your bags and go thru customs at JFK Before giving the bags back to the airline.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by will2288
A bit OT, but is there an AA drop-off counter in T7, for those making IB-AA connections in JFK?
After clearing immigration and customs, you will find an AA drop-off counter just beyond the exit from the customs area.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:11 am

Y-->F award baggage allowance

Hi,

I'm on an award ticket from BOS-JFK-SFO and wondering if AA will honor the free baggage allowance on the Y portion (BOS-JFK)? The JFK-SFO segment is in F (three-cabin).

Related to this, would I receive lounge access in BOS (even if I'm starting off in Y and connecting to F)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by dmlee18
Hi,
I'm on an award ticket from BOS-JFK-SFO and wondering if AA will honor the free baggage allowance on the Y portion (BOS-JFK)? The JFK-SFO segment is in F (three-cabin).
I would expect so, yes. Perhaps look at your ticket, if this is one ticket it should state the baggage allowance applying to the whole ticket.

Related to this, would I receive lounge access in BOS (even if I'm starting off in Y and connecting to F)?
Yes, lounge access is available on all parts of a trip involving 3-class transcontinental F. So you should have Admiral's Club access in BOS and Flagship Lounge access in JFK (in my recent experience SJU-JFK-LAX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.