Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed Upgrade Timing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP , Avis Presidents Club, Marriot Titanium
Confirmed Upgrade Timing?

Is there any trick to when you should check-in to be offered a confirmed upgrade at the self-service? Is earlier better?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BrassGuru
Is earlier better?
Yes, checking in before all of the F seats have been taken by others certainly would be a good idea!

I don't know that I've seen this specifically addressed, but my guess is that the determination of whether to offer kiosk upgrades is made three to four hours before flight time, which is when all remaining unsold F seats become available for sticker upgrades and the last pre-requested upgrades are cleared.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is there any trick to when you should check-in to be offered a confirmed upgrade at the self-service? Is earlier better?
Not sure, but I've got a vague impression that kiosk upgrades aren't available until the flight passes to airport control. In any event, in my (somewhat limited) experience, when kiosk upgrades are offered there are a lot of empty chairs in the pointy end, and they don't all get filled, so anytime should be OK.

Edited to add: if you check early and there are no LFBUs available, that does not preclude you from checking again. Just go to any kiosk and reprint your boarding pass. The kiosk should offer you the upgrade if it is available.

AAgents can also do a LFBU for you - gate agents, ticket agents, service counter agents - but sadly, many do not seem very familiar with it.

Last edited by gemac; Jul 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
*IF* LFBUs (aka kiosk upgrades) are offered, they will be available around 3 hours before departure. They may appear earlier than that, but I know they are loaded by the 3 hour mark.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP , Avis Presidents Club, Marriot Titanium
Excellent!

Thanks for the responses!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
...when kiosk upgrades are offered there are a lot of empty chairs in the pointy end...
Really off-topic for this thread, but does anyone know why we (myself included) always refer to the front of an aircraft as the "pointy end?" As a quick look at any Boeing or Airbus product will confirm, the front is rounded. It's the back of the fuselage that's pointy. (Granted, a few RJs have pointy noses, but even they are pointy in back too.)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
Really off-topic for this thread, but does anyone know why we (myself included) always refer to the front of an aircraft as the "pointy end?" As a quick look at any Boeing or Airbus product will confirm, the front is rounded. It's the back of the fuselage that's pointy. (Granted, a few RJs have pointy noses, but even they are pointy in back too.)
You're looking at the outside. From the inside, you can see a taper towards the front, can't see one in the back (I guess, if you go back there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.