FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA/IB codeshare questions: fare & mileage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/974664-aa-ib-codeshare-questions-fare-mileage.html)

travelbuff Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm

AA/IB codeshare questions: fare & mileage

Hi!

I have a couple of questions about AA codeshare flights with IB:

a) VCE - MAD on IB flight # and metal (itinerary all from aa.com): do I earn any miles on this? (called AA agent and said yes...but I would like to verify this with Flyertalk geniuses)

b)My flight route is ORD-MXP-VCE-(MAD)-ORD. A week ago, they were all AA flight numbers, with the VCE-(MAD)-ORD on Iberia metal. Today, the VCE-MAD is on Iberia flight # and the fare increased by ~$80 (same flight and time as the AA flight #). Any chance AA will revert it back to AA flight # and save me $80/person?

Thank you.

3Cforme Jul 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Gee, thanks. I haven't been called a genius in almost a week.;)

1. It matters whether the fights are AA-coded or IB-coded. AA-coded opperated by IB earns the same as AA.

2. One can't predict AA fare action reliably. If you're traveling on discount fares you will earn more miles if AA-coded.

<link>

martin33 Jul 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelbuff (Post 12058997)
Hi!

I have a couple of questions about AA codeshare flights with IB:

a) VCE - MAD on IB flight # and metal (itinerary all from aa.com): do I earn any miles on this? (called AA agent and said yes...but I would like to verify this with Flyertalk geniuses)

b)My flight route is ORD-MXP-VCE-(MAD)-ORD. A week ago, they were all AA flight numbers, with the VCE-(MAD)-ORD on Iberia metal. Today, the VCE-MAD is on Iberia flight # and the fare increased by ~$80 (same flight and time as the AA flight #). Any chance AA will revert it back to AA flight # and save me $80/person?

Thank you.

Assuming you are not on a full coach fare, you will not get full miles on any IB-coded flight. To earn miles at all, your IB discount fare class must be B, H, K, M, Q, V, G, L, N, O, P, or S. Let's assume you have one of those.

VCE-MAD is 876 miles (great circle mapper, AAdvantage distance may vary), and you would earn 30% of that, or 263 miles, unless you are Gold or better elite in which case the minimum is 300 miles. That base EQM mileage level would become your EQP base, multiplied by 0.5 or 1.0 depending on how deeply discounted your fare code is: so, from 132 to 300 EQP would be earned depending on fare class and status.

If your VCE-MAD is AA-coded, you earn 876 EQM and either 438 or 876 EQP.

brp Jul 13, 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 12059058)

While AA have spelled the name of the airline (Iberia) correctly on the website, it's actually spelled incorrectly on the URL (and it does work that way). :td:

Cheers.

flippy110 Jul 14, 2009 4:28 am

It would be interesting to see what you come up with as as far as accrued miles.
I fly MAD-PMI a lot and have gotten like 30 miles in the past. It gives me kind of a chuckle. Last month I flew LHR-KBP on BA and got 341 miles and 2 bonus miles. Not sure of the calcs for the bonus miles, but every bit helps!

beerup Jul 14, 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by travelbuff (Post 12058997)

I'm a little unclear on what you are asking here. Are you saying that you were ticketed on the flight on an AA flight number and it was subsequented recoded to an IB flight number? If so, you should be able to call AA after the flight to request original routing credit (ORC) to get the full mileage as an AA-coded flight.

martin33 Jul 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by flippy110 (Post 12062848)
It would be interesting to see what you come up with as as far as accrued miles.
I fly MAD-PMI a lot and have gotten like 30 miles in the past. It gives me kind of a chuckle. Last month I flew LHR-KBP on BA and got 341 miles and 2 bonus miles. Not sure of the calcs for the bonus miles, but every bit helps!

MAD-PMI is assigned a flat 125 miles (domestic Spanish flight other than Canary Islands), and you earned 30%, or 38 miles.

LHR-KBP is 1362 miles. 25% of that is 341 miles. 2 bonus miles is a bit of a puzzler, I must admit! perhaps a disagreement between BA and AA over the actual length of the route?? How many EQM did you get?

travelbuff Jul 15, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks for all your responses. Appreciate them.:)

I am pretty sure the VCE-MAD on IB metal is IB-coded not AA-coded, that's why I called AA.

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 12063825)
I'm a little unclear on what you are asking here. Are you saying that you were ticketed on the flight on an AA flight number and it was subsequented recoded to an IB flight number? If so, you should be able to call AA after the flight to request original routing credit (ORC) to get the full mileage as an AA-coded flight.

Sorry for the confusion. No, I haven't ticketed the itinerary yet....was just asking if there is a chance AA will revert back to the AA flight # for the VCE-MAD leg, thus saving me $ and giving me more mileage. Thanks 3Cforme for answering.

fireworksboy Sep 2, 2009 8:31 am

Did a search with not much luck - this looks like the best thread to ask the question though.

Bought a super cheap rt JFK-BCN (on IB.com) for upcoming BooDoo in late Oct. The outbound is IB operated JFK-MAD-BCN all on the same flight number. The return is AA direct BCN-JFK.

On the outbound - my question is whether anyone has experience with AA allowing someone from an IB nondirect flight to jump on the earlier direct JFK-BCN AA metal codeshare?

Sounds like it may be worth a shot but was hoping someone here had experience with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

f-boy

JDiver Sep 2, 2009 8:36 am

fireworksboy, we have done just that (from other destinations, e.g. IB operated by SN BRU-MAD and MAD-ORD on IB to AA BRU-ORD) once or twice, but I believe (just my opinion) that the transfer was allowed by pleasant, customer-oriented airport personnel and not official policy. If these are exceptions, and some members are knowledgeable enough to know that, remember an exception or two do not make a rule. ;)

hillrider Sep 2, 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 12319042)
fireworksboy, we have done just that (from other destinations, e.g. IB operated by SN BRU-MAD and MAD-ORD on IB to AA BRU-ORD) once or twice, but I believe (just my opinion) that the transfer was allowed by pleasant, customer-oriented airport personnel and not official policy. If these are exceptions, and some members are knowledgeable enough to know that, remember an exception or two do not make a rule. ;)

In fireworksboy's situation the ticket is an IB one, not an AA one, so even the super-pleasant, customer-oriented airport personnel that might be bending the rules (at AA's benefit, one might add, as the formerly IB revenue now flows to AA for an otherwise empty seat) might have his/her hands tied in this situation.

But it never hurts to ask...pleasantly!

fireworksboy Sep 2, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks for the help JDiver and hillrider. Advice duly noted and will ask nicely at the airport with no expectations of success. ^

JDiver Sep 2, 2009 9:20 am

That was precisely my situation. It was the AA folks who were super-nice, and I suspect it may even have been because in part the revenue flow would be diverted. ;) But nice works much, much better than DYKWIA... though I would caution readers not to build expectations.

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 12319091)
In fireworksboy's situation the ticket is an IB one, not an AA one, so even the super-pleasant, customer-oriented airport personnel that might be bending the rules (at AA's benefit, one might add, as the formerly IB revenue now flows to AA for an otherwise empty seat) might have his/her hands tied in this situation.

But it never hurts to ask...pleasantly!