Question Regarding Standby

Old Jul 8, 09, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Question Regarding Standby

Hello All,
I have a question regarding the free same day standby offered on American Airlines. I currently have a ticket booked from MSP-STL-LGA that departs MSP-STL at around 4pm and STL-LGA around 7pm. Would it be possible for me, space available of course, to fly standby MSP-STL that morning and keep the STL-LGA leg at approximately 7 in the PM? Many thanks.
Old Jul 8, 09, 11:46 am

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
Hello All,
I have a question regarding the free same day standby offered on American Airlines. I currently have a ticket booked from MSP-STL-LGA that departs MSP-STL at around 4pm and STL-LGA around 7pm. Would it be possible for me, space available of course, to fly standby MSP-STL that morning and keep the STL-LGA leg at approximately 7 in the PM? Many thanks.
Each are independent of the other. So, standing by for one segment shouldn't affect the other.
Old Nov 19, 09, 10:33 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Hi Guys, this was the closest thread on my topic

I'm currently booked on Dec 5, Saturday

AA 4151 BUF>ORD, 11:40 to 12:35
Connecting to AA 425 ORD>SEA, 16:00 to 18:35

My problem is that I want to get to Seattle earlier to this itinerary

AA 3913 7:05 to 8:05
AA 1843 8:35 to 11:10

Usually I'll CFC and get a sticker upgrade along with it and no deal with probability. But this change I want is under MCT. Therefore if I standby both sectors, but only to get to ORD and go over the 4hr connecting window, will this cause a fare break and invalidate my fare?
I would prefer to get a sticker upgrade on ORD-SEA sector, so I'll keep a close eye on EF about the flights and the weather too.

The fare basis is Q14ADNR
Thanks for all the help!
Old Nov 19, 09, 10:44 pm

If you miss a connecting flight which is the last one of the day, will they let you standby for the next morning flight? I know they've let me do that before when it was weather-related, but is this a standard thing? Will they ever leave you stranded?

I know mechanical reasons will entail free nights and all that, but I was just wondering whether it's a policy to help when it's weather, or whether (pun intended ) I was just lucky.
Old Nov 20, 09, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis View Post
I'm currently booked on Dec 5, Saturday

AA 4151 BUF>ORD, 11:40 to 12:35
Connecting to AA 425 ORD>SEA, 16:00 to 18:35

My problem is that I want to get to Seattle earlier to this itinerary

AA 3913 7:05 to 8:05
AA 1843 8:35 to 11:10

Usually I'll CFC and get a sticker upgrade along with it and no deal with probability. But this change I want is under MCT. Therefore if I standby both sectors, but only to get to ORD and go over the 4hr connecting window, will this cause a fare break and invalidate my fare?
I would prefer to get a sticker upgrade on ORD-SEA sector, so I'll keep a close eye on EF about the flights and the weather too.

The fare basis is Q14ADNR
Thanks for all the help!
As in the previous posts, these are 2 separate standby events.
If there is room, go for it. Also, in most cases CFC is a waste of money for an EXP, especially on an early flight, when there is a smaller chance of an irrop on another flight filling up seats at the last minute. As you have noted, you aren't going to be able to CFC for both flights due to MCT.
Old Nov 20, 09, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
If you miss a connecting flight which is the last one of the day, will they let you standby for the next morning flight? I know they've let me do that before when it was weather-related, but is this a standard thing? Will they ever leave you stranded?

I know mechanical reasons will entail free nights and all that, but I was just wondering whether it's a policy to help when it's weather, or whether (pun intended ) I was just lucky.
If you missed your connection do to weather, you will get a confirmation for a new flight. In this case, you could standby for an different flight than you newly confirmed flight. This is a bit different than standby simply because you want a different flight. If you are on standby for the connecting flight, and miss it, then they do not have to let you standby the next day
Old Nov 20, 09, 4:49 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I've gone stand-by on an earlier flight on an award even, so as to put more time for the connection since the next segment only has a single flight a day (and no option to re-route), so I certainly did not want to waste a day around an airport rather than soaking up the sun on a Hawaiian beach.

Steve

(before commenting, inter-island flights are excluded from regular awards--they require an additional inter-island award)
Old Nov 20, 09, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis View Post
But this change I want is under MCT. Therefore if I standby both sectors, but only to get to ORD and go over the 4hr connecting window, will this cause a fare break and invalidate my fare?
Tricky question, but bottom line is that AA could invoke the lack of legal connections at BUF and deny to take you standby at that airport, but, if it doesn't, it has to take you to SEA even if you're stuck in ORD for >4 hours (i.e. it can't hold you ransom at ORD for breaking the stopover rule).

In my experience, you won't have any problems: airport agents are there to move passengers, and will take anybody who wants to get closer to their destination on standby without pouring through schedules.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: