Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed on Domestic Stopover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Help Needed on Domestic Stopover

Hello,
I am writing to request assistance from any experts. I am attempting to book a ticket that is JFK-SFO-JFK. However, the JFK-SFO is exorbitantly expensive. I have found a more cost efficient option of going JFK-LAX-SFO the only issue being that JFK-LAX is a night time flight that lands at 12.15 AM at LAX and the next LAX-SFO flight is not until the morning. Is there anyway to get the system to book this JFK-LAX-SFO as one segment? I would prefer not to use multi-city as I have a promotional code which can be used on a Round Trip booking but not multi-city. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Most likely, this isn't going to work. The overnight probably means that it really isn't a roundtrip fare. The first thing you'll need to check is the fare rules for the itinerary you want, assuming you found it using the multi-city option. Put the whole trip together, and then view the fare rules. If you see 3 different fare basis codes (JFK-LAX, LAX-SFO, and then SFO-JFK), it definitely won't work.

If it's just a regular roundtrip fare, then your next problem is going to be trying to figure out how to get the LAX overnight itinerary to show up in a normal search (either price + schedule or search by schedule), which also isn't likely. But, as you've likely seen, there's no place to enter the code when using multi-city.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Most likely, this isn't going to work. The overnight probably means that it really isn't a roundtrip fare. The first thing you'll need to check is the fare rules for the itinerary you want, assuming you found it using the multi-city option. Put the whole trip together, and then view the fare rules. If you see 3 different fare basis codes (JFK-LAX, LAX-SFO, and then SFO-JFK), it definitely won't work.

If it's just a regular roundtrip fare, then your next problem is going to be trying to figure out how to get the LAX overnight itinerary to show up in a normal search (either price + schedule or search by schedule), which also isn't likely. But, as you've likely seen, there's no place to enter the code when using multi-city.
Thank you for your assistance. is there no way to get the JFK-LAX-SFO show up? I have tried many ways without success. The odd thing is I seem to very clearly remember seeing overnight stopovers on certain itineraries when I was not looking for them.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by family friend
Hello,
I am writing to request assistance from any experts. I am attempting to book a ticket that is JFK-SFO-JFK. However, the JFK-SFO is exorbitantly expensive. I have found a more cost efficient option of going JFK-LAX-SFO the only issue being that JFK-LAX is a night time flight that lands at 12.15 AM at LAX and the next LAX-SFO flight is not until the morning. Is there anyway to get the system to book this JFK-LAX-SFO as one segment? I would prefer not to use multi-city as I have a promotional code which can be used on a Round Trip booking but not multi-city. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
What you are trying to do is called last-in/first-out. If you book the last arrival into the connecting point, and the first departure out, then usually that counts as a connection not a stopover.

The only issue I can see here is that a 1215am arrival might not count as the last flight in on date x, but instead as the first flight in on date x+1, and so your attempt to "connect" on x+1 is getting stuck by the gap in hours.

Have you tried it with the last arrival into LAX that is scheduled before midnight? That's the 10:43pm.

Also, "undesirable" connections, like overnight or airport-change, are given a low display priority (and so rarely show up) in Price & Schedule displays. To see them you pretty much have to do it by Schedule alone. Price alone in theory should work, but the Price alone tool has never really worked as it should.

Last edited by martin33; Jul 8, 2009 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
What you are trying to do is called last-in/first-out. If you book the last arrival into the connecting point, and the first departure out, then usually that counts as a connection not a stopover.

The only issue I can see here is that a 1215am arrival might not count as the last flight in on date x, but instead as the first flight in on date x+1, and so your attempt to "connect" on x+1 is getting stuck by the gap in hours.

Have you tried it with the last arrival into LAX that is scheduled before midnight? That's the 10:43pm.

Also, "undesirable" connections, like overnight or airport-change, are given a low display priority (and so rarely show up) in Price & Schedule displays. To see them you pretty much have to do it by Schedule alone. Price alone in theory should work, but the Price alone tool has never really worked as it should.

These ideas worked, many, many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.