BuyAAmiles Discount For The First 5,000 Customers

Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:00 pm
LRD
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
BuyAAmiles Discount For The First 5,000 Customers

Offer:
With the buyAAmiles® program, you can get the miles you need for the trip you want. Your dream vacation is closer than you think with our limited time offer of 20% off. Starting July 6, 2009 the first 5,000 customers will receive a 20% discount with a purchase of 25,000 AAdvantage® miles or more.

Link to aa.com
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I saw that as well. They were offering the 20% off way before their "special offer" to the 1st 5,000 buyers.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Out of curiosity (killing time whilst awaiting a long report to print), clicked on the link at aa.com. If you're one of the 5,000 cusomters, you'll get a "Congratulations, you beat the rush.....!" message (which tells me that as of right now, there's still spaces left for any that need this.

As a referecne point, with this discount, the "sale price" is $500 for 25K.

Is the 25K worth $500 USD? YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by skye1
Is the 25K worth $500 USD? YMMV.
You figure 25,000 is a o/w first class award. So, if you're flying domestically and going to otherwise pay for a first class seat, it's not clearly a terrible investment (assuming availability, of course and factoring in lost accumulation, etc).
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
This is essentially $0.02 per mile (when you disregard the $30 fee). I've always said that I valued my AA miles at $0.02 to $0.025 each, but am hesitant to spend $830 for 40k miles, which would indicate that I really don't believe the miles are worth that much. I've been able to get them much cheaper lately (about $0.01 each on LAX-BOS BOS3X runs, almost free with Citi AA churning, etc.), and I'm rapidly approaching my target of 600k AA miles for four OW150C RTW Business awards, so I just don't see the need in a cash outlay to get them. If I had a more urgent need that would provide greater than a $0.02 value, I would do it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
This might sound ridiculous, but a few could actually benefit from a deal like this if trying to go for MM status. For example, you could purchase nearly enough miles for an off-peak coach award to Japan for $830. With coach fares at about a grand right now RT, this could be an easy way to accumulate more lifetime miles than would've been possible from paid travel.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:11 pm

too bad. i already max out my purchase limit for the year.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:59 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
too bad. i already max out my purchase limit for the year.
Its Less Value than the 30% Extra Miles that ended only last week

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.