Search

GIG, who is onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
GIG, who is onboard?

We did this in the spring for FRA with many cheap fares (MRs). Now AA has outrageously low fares to GIG from many US cities. Thought FTs that are taking advantage of these fares could post their dates of travel and routing.

Me outbound 9/4 from JFK routing through TPA and MIA and return 9/7 through MIA.

Of course, if you do not have a valid Visa for Brazil, you have to factor in the $131 additional cost for the Visa.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Was already looking to go next month before my visa expires.

Sidebar, does anyone now how close I can cut a trip to visa expiration? I'm looking at a trip that will return to the US either the day before or the day OF my visa expiration. Will I be okay on entry if I have a return ticket?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

Of course, if you do not have a valid Visa for Brazil, you have to factor in the $131 additional cost for the Visa.
Another thing to note about this- it is my understanding that the 5 year validity of the visa transcends the validity of the passport. My passport expired almost two years ago (and I have a new one), but the visa in the old one still has several years on it. From what I've been told, this visa is still valid- just need to bring both passports.

Edit: Doing a google search on this, the first hit was a 2003 FT thread, and then something even more definitive:

http://www.consulatebrazil.org/usvisainfo.htm (toward the bottom)

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jul 1, 2009 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:50 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
We did this in the spring for FRA with many cheap fares (MRs). Now AA has outrageously low fares to GIG from many US cities. Thought FTs that are taking advantage of these fares could post their dates of travel and routing.

Me outbound 9/4 from JFK routing through TPA and MIA and return 9/7 through MIA.

The fares start at $340 from JFK to GIG. Thus the post.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL
The fares start at $340 from JFK to GIG. Thus the post.
Looking more like $537 out of SFO (and even more from SJC). These seem to route through JFK, so that's the cheap part of the sector. At about $640 ai for Q, not quite as good a deal from here. (Based on casual "Dates Flexible" search for Sept. and Oct.) And our visas have until Jan 2010.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Carnival 2010? N fare from NYC 500 all in...
routed via DFW to get some extra miles...

leave Thursday 11 return 6 Am Tuesday 16...

also looking at 8/27-8/30 for 422 all in...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
For those of us allergic to coach, I was able to upgrade from a Q fare to an N fare for an additional $178 ($526.70 vs. $348.70) for JFK-MIA-GRU-GIG-GRU-JFK in August.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Plat
Last week I got tkts for July 23, Nov 20, and Dec 17. Always going down through MIA and coming back through DFW.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
delete

Last edited by jamflyer; Jul 2, 2009 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:14 am

No VISA needed for UK citizens thankfully!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:01 pm

i dont have an interest in paying the visa fees, makes it from a cheap trip to just a trip. ill wait for 2014.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Sorry - but I have to ask :-) What's the point of this? Is this a cheap way to build up miles to get to an award level? I'm not traveling any more and never was in a real FF program when I was - so I'm just curious and enjoy hearing about the ways you find to get where you need to be in these programs. What I'm having a hard time understanding is what benefit to you get from the trip versus what it costs you - and how many trips at what $300+ each would it take to get enough miles for an award?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bj2757
Sorry - but I have to ask :-) What's the point of this? Is this a cheap way to build up miles to get to an award level?
There are many different variants on why people do things like this:

Some will fly places and fly back to accumulate miles either for status, or for awards if the trip can be done cheaply in terms of cents/mile.

Others will look for cheaper trips to interesting places and spend some time there. It wasn't that that was a specific destination they had in mind, but a good fare to an interesting place can be incentive for those who like to travel. In the process, one can achieve status and/or accumulate miles for later awards.

Some folks just love being on the plane for its own sake.

And every possibility in between exists (different trips with different purposes).

Not everyone gets it. That's why there are normal people and FTers

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bj2757
Sorry - but I have to ask :-) What's the point of this? Is this a cheap way to build up miles to get to an award level? I'm not traveling any more and never was in a real FF program when I was - so I'm just curious and enjoy hearing about the ways you find to get where you need to be in these programs. What I'm having a hard time understanding is what benefit to you get from the trip versus what it costs you - and how many trips at what $300+ each would it take to get enough miles for an award?

First of all, and this is more geared towards personal/leisure travelers, you need to have the "travel bug" and the financial resources to support it (even with cheap fares.) So why not travel in style the most economical way. Its a totally different experience flying in business or first on an international flight than being stuck in the middle rows of the a/c between two passengers of size.

Elite status (often referred to as EQMs) is the first preference among FFs. Miles that can used for award travel, upgrades, airline club membership, etc. are typically the second preference (often referred to as RDMs).

I love Rio. And now I have an unexpected trip for just $530 (subsequently upgrading then to an N fare-or a fare code that allows upgrade use) in business class to a place that enjoy immensely.

But if travel means little to you and you rather be at home tending the barbeque, then yes none of this will make a lot of sense.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
brp and newyorkgeorge - thanks for the info! I do understand your comments and figured that was the motive. I don't have the money to just fly like that anymore and love this site for helping me find ways to make the best of what I can do when I do travel.

I was traveling for a lot of years and for some reason FF programs (other than Southwest) never crossed my mind - until after I was paying with my own dime :-) Now I don't travel enough to accumulate enough points/miles to really play the game - but I did manage to get enough to book 5 hotel rooms in different locations on a 2 week driving trip in May for a total of $36 thanks to all the things I learned on FT!

I appreciate your responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.