Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 64 JFK-Zurich emergency landing in Halifax due to smoke

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
AA 64 JFK-Zurich emergency landing in Halifax due to smoke

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9012088.html

Fire forces jet to make emergency landing in Halifax

By EVA HOARE Staff Reporter
Tue. Jun 9 - 8:36 PM
A cabin fire forced an American Airlines jet to make an emergency landing tonight at about 8:15 p.m. at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Flight 64, which left John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York at 5:25 p.m., was en route to Zurich, Switzerland, when smoke was detected in the plane's cabin.

The smoke came from a fire in a bathroom in the jet's mid-section, airport spokesman Peter Spurway said.

The Boring 767-300 apparently landed without incident, he said.

Airport fire crews were on the runway and RCMP were heading to the scene.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA.com is ***unreliable***

Yikes!

Just a reminder: never rely on the flight information on AA.com. In case of disruptions (which is really when you need the information most) it will spit out incorrect information.

AA.com shows that everything is cool with AA64: it reports it "IN TRANSIT" and estimates the arrival at 7:01 AM!!!

Until AA fixes AA.com (quite an embarassment), the best source of info on the web is IMHO a combination of www.aa.cargo and Sabre's Virtuallythere (mobile edition) at http://mobile.usablenet.com/mt/www.s...ml?un_choice=5 . The first shows the diversion, landing YHZ at 2020 and gate arrival at 2020, with an ETA departure from there of 0200.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Just a reminder: never rely on the flight information on AA.com. In case of disruptions (which is really when you need the information most) it will spit out incorrect information.
Well, it is "incorrect" until it is not. As of right now AA.com is showing a 10:30am ETA in ZRH, about 3 hours delayed, which I'm guessing is correct now. I guess the issue is more one of timeliness in getting the flight information updated. Certainly something AA needs to sort out.

Of course ExpertFlyer is showing a 7:12am arrival time. It also shows a different "actual" departure time from AA.com.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:47 pm

Yikes!

AA.com shows that everything is cool with AA64: it reports it "IN TRANSIT" and estimates the arrival at 7:01 AM!!!

Until AA fixes AA.com (quite an embarassment), the best source of info on the web is IMHO a combination of www.aa.cargo and Sabre's Virtuallythere (mobile edition) at http://mobile.usablenet.com/mt/www.s...ml?un_choice=5 . The first shows the diversion, landing YHZ at 2020 and gate arrival at 2020, with an ETA departure from there of 0200.
After the Cali crash several years ago the flight was still showing as in transit 24 hours later.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It also shows a different "actual" departure time from AA.com.
Oh, you just found out another bug with AA.com's flight information. The flight departed at 1724, and took off at 1755. AA.com has the takeoff time in the "departed" column. www.aacargo.com has it right.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by millionmiler
After the Cali crash several years ago the flight was still showing as in transit 24 hours later.
I mentioned that you remember what happened AA flight is crashes into the mountains. This is where the plane is almost descent approach into BOG. The pilot didn't pay attention where the plane is turn around the mountains. That was 14 years ago. I remember all over the news by TV. So this is reason why has happening the flight is not survived with these people out of the aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by bmxbboy

The Boring 767-300 apparently landed without incident, he said.
A plane with smoke on board is never boring!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
The "other jet" AA is sending to YHZ. Glad to hear everyone is safe.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RxCapt
The "other jet" AA is sending to YHZ. Glad to hear everyone is safe.
Excellent! I'm glad to hear it. I'm sure everyone is doing very well. AA will have another aircraft out of YHZ will continuation the journey to ZRH. It will be on en-route for YHZ-ZRH tonight. I am bit little worried about AA flight out of JFK-ZRH tonight. So I thought it was little bit damaged the aircraft. So the equipment will have to change?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Oh, you just found out another bug with AA.com's flight information. The flight departed at 1724, and took off at 1755. AA.com has the takeoff time in the "departed" column. www.aacargo.com has it right.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
This was only a recent change...they always had the gate departure time (whether it's door closing or pushback time I am not certain) under the Departures column on aa.com but in the last month or so, they have started posting the actual takeoff time instead.

FWIW, the Arrivals/Departure information via the phone has always given the actual takeoff time even while the website was posting gate departure time...

Just some of the ridiculously "useful" things I have somehow managed to retain in my memory!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
mmmm - fire, bathroom -- possibly a smoker?

UPDATE: Well that was a bad guess. It turns out the problem was related to a fan motor.

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 10, 2009 at 11:25 am
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Looks like AA 64 with the replacement aircraft is now planned to arrive ZRH at 3:35pm...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist

Amazing. Simply amazing.
Once it's happened, aa.com always shows the takeoff time in the "actual" column. Pull it up after you land next time you fly, and you'll see it shows wheels up and not push back from gate. I believe it actually updates twice, first showing the time it left the gate, and then updates to takeoff time once the plane has actually taken off.

I actually find this more useful, especially when you're trying to meet someone who's coming from a notoriously congested airport, i.e. it's much more useful for me to know that the flight from JFK is in the air, not that they've pushed back since they might be on the tarmac for 90 minutes. I'd of course rather have both, but if I can only pick one, this is the one I'd want.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:36 am

From USA Today Airplane Blog;

A Halifax airport spokesman tells AP that the smoke ultimately was traced to a fan motor in a lavatory. AA sent a replacement 767-300 to Halifax to pick up the passengers, who were expected to arrive in Zurich about eight hours later than scheduled.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Here is a great example of why planes should fly as close to land as possible. There is often an airport close enough to stop. Imagine if they had already been in the middle of the Atlantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.