Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring from Alaska to AA in SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American
Transferring from Alaska to AA in SJC

I am on a codeshare operated by Alaskan Air, transferring to AA in San Jose. It will be this Sunday, and we have a 2 hour connection time. Should I be worried? As I remember, Alaskan is in the south terminal, so we will have to exit the terminal and take a shuttle to the AA terminal (I assume they have interterminal shuttles, I have only been the the rental car shuttles). I still have nightmares about the time the security line there went across the skybridge and wound thru the parking garage. If it is like that again and with changing terminals, there is a chance it could be tight.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I'd rather walk than take a shuttle if transferring from AS->AA. Don't bother waiting!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
First, there is no such thing as Alaskan Airlines. Perhaps you meant Alaska Airlines?

In that case,they do operate out of Terminal C while AA operates out of Terminal A. They do have inter-terminal buses. Just note that you're going in the "wrong direction" traffic-flow-wise, so it will take longer than A->C. I've walked this, but I wouldn't advise it unless walking in what are really non-pedestrian areas with no sidewalks is your idea of fun (it is for me).

Security lines have not been as bad as you remember for along time.Two hours should be OK.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
If you have elite AA status, 2 hrs is ok. If not, then don't check in any luggage, walk briskly to get to Term A and get in security line cuz it can be big.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
If you have elite AA status, 2 hrs is ok. If not, then don't check in any luggage, walk briskly to get to Term A and get in security line cuz it can be big.
Why not check luggage (other than the usual reasons, of course)? This should be interlined and present no problems at all. Even with the bus, it won't be more than 20 minutes to get from C to A. That leaves 1:40for the connection. Panic-monkeying aside, this is plenty of time.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Even when security lines are backed into the stairwells and garage, I've never had to wait more than 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't worry unless your AS flight is late.

<redacted> We all knew what you meant.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2009 at 9:06 am Reason: taking liberties with others' speech
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by OnlyGold
I am on a codeshare operated by Alaskan Air, transferring to AA in San Jose. It will be this Sunday, and we have a 2 hour connection time. Should I be worried? As I remember, Alaskan is in the south terminal, so we will have to exit the terminal and take a shuttle to the AA terminal (I assume they have interterminal shuttles, I have only been the the rental car shuttles). I still have nightmares about the time the security line there went across the skybridge and wound thru the parking garage. If it is like that again and with changing terminals, there is a chance it could be tight.
If you are arriving SJC in the morning, I recommend the security area inside the International part of Terminal A. Whenever I go (Sat mornings usually), the number of passengers there has been less than the number of TSA staff. There is no baggage checking facility there.
Even if you go through the normal security line, I doubt it is going to be backed up through the garage on a Sunday. Of course, since the ticket counters have been moved downstairs, there is more room upstairs for security lines. No matter what, 2 hours is more than enough time to connect at SJC.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
Terminal B

I will be connecting in SJC tomorrow morning from Horizon Air to AA. I noticed Terminal C is now Terminal B thus I will be transferring from terminal B to A.

Is a shuttle still the preferred method of transferring or is there now a walking path between the terminals?

Also, is 1-1.5hrs generally sufficient transfer time late mornings on a weekday (11am)?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jurisdr
I will be connecting in SJC tomorrow morning from Horizon Air to AA. I noticed Terminal C is now Terminal B thus I will be transferring from terminal B to A.

Is a shuttle still the preferred method of transferring or is there now a walking path between the terminals?

Also, is 1-1.5hrs generally sufficient transfer time late mornings on a weekday (11am)?

Now that the new terminal opened all of SJC gates are located behind one secure area. The transfer is a snap now.

Last edited by HNL; Dec 8, 2010 at 11:57 pm
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
Now that the new terminal opened all of SJC gates are located behind one secure area. The transfer is a snap now.
Also, if you are interested in buying food, the concessions at Terminal B are much better than A.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
Originally Posted by HNL
Fantastic! Anytime I can avoid TSA delays is a plus.

Originally Posted by Xero
Also, if you are interested in buying food, the concessions at Terminal B are much better than A.
Good to know.

Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xero
There's a Gordon Biersch and a Peet's in Terminal A. On a par with anything in B. Just got coffee at Terminal A Peet's about an hour ago and on 1280 to DFW as we speak

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
There are no worries now .... all the airlines are underneather the same "house" marked as Terminal B and Terminal A. Be prepared for one heck of a walk though budget 15 minutes plus for the walk if you are a slow walker ....

There are several restaurants that you can sit at Gordon Biersch is one of them .... outside of that ... there are really no comfortable places to sit at SJC anymore ....

+-ADT
Originally Posted by OnlyGold
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tegelad
There are several restaurants that you can sit at Gordon Biersch is one of them .... outside of that ... there are really no comfortable places to sit at SJC anymore ....
The new seats are not that comfortable, but after the morning HNL departure on HA there are plenty of seats around gates 1 - 4. You just have to deal with that annoying moving art exhibit making noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.