Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-LHR EVIP's clearing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
LAX-LHR EVIP's clearing

Does anyone here know if EVIP upgrades generally clear between lax-lhr and back? I was talking to the AAgent over the phone and she said that sometimes the business class seats all get purchased, so I was wondering if anyone has prior experience with this route. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had one clear between LAX and LHR; always clear prior to departure.

Seriously, lots of them clear all the time. Sometimes biz is sold out, and it can be a difficult route to upgrade, but they certainly do clear. I've been op-upped numerous times both directions as well (leaving behind 31B).
Old May 27, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've never had one clear between LAX and LHR; always clear prior to departure.

Seriously, lots of them clear all the time. Sometimes biz is sold out, and it can be a difficult route to upgrade, but they certainly do clear. I've been op-upped numerous times both directions as well (leaving behind 31B).
I don't quite understand FWAAA's response. Do they "never" clear, or "always" clear? I have the same question--how reliably to eVIPs clear between LAX and LHR? Expertflyer almost never shows C availability on this route. I'm about to make EXP due to DBEQM, so I'm starting to care a lot.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdquick
I don't quite understand FWAAA's response. Do they "never" clear, or "always" clear? I have the same question--how reliably to eVIPs clear between LAX and LHR? Expertflyer almost never shows C availability on this route. I'm about to make EXP due to DBEQM, so I'm starting to care a lot.
We've never failed to clear this route, but we have to waitlist this one more often than others...and they tend to clear later. Never as bad as at the airport. But it is a popular route,and our preferred.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pdquick
There's some grammar fun being had here: the point is that an eVIP can't clear "between" LAX and LHR - b/c well, you are on the flight. If your upgrade hasn't cleared before takeoff, then it isn't going to clear.

Mine have always cleared. Barring irregular ops or some type of major news event, yours will likely clear as well.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
100% success on this route. You'll have no trouble. The agents at LAX are pretty good about moving people from C to F if there is an oversold situation or if there are a lot of people trying to upgrade from Y to C.

- T
Old May 27, 2009, 3:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonySCV
The agents at LAX are pretty good about moving people from C to F ... if there are a lot of people trying to upgrade from Y to C.
I highly doubt that this is true.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
But why let the truth get in the way of good story about what I think to be true?
Old May 27, 2009, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
But I do sense a future thread topic.
Old May 27, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
Having just flown this route on memorial weekend, I think your chances of EVIPs clearing are pretty good. Both of mine cleared one day in advance
Old May 27, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Ive only once failed not to clear when I requested. If you have some sort of status, I dont think you will have a problem.
Old May 27, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I have a SFO -> LHR trip this Friday, in which I wanted 100% guarantee of eVips clearing. The only flight that could get this was going via ORD.

I enquired if I could waitlist for SFO-LAX-LHR and was told no as you cannot standby for international, but since it was within the 100 hour window, they could confirm C upgrade if I re-ticketed at a higher price. Was quoted $2700!!!!
I was offered another alternative ..... I could ask at the AC when I arrive at the airport and if available could be moved from SFO-ORD-LHR to SFO-LAX-LHR with no extra charge.

Anybody else managed a international route change same day as flight? If so, were you charged the difference in price?

BM
Old May 27, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by burtonmadness

Anybody else managed a international route change same day as flight? If so, were you charged the difference in price?

BM

I tried and was told that can't be done. Hopefully I was told wrong... would love to hear that other managed to get that done
Old May 27, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
i'm in the same boat.. if you look at lax-lhr on jun 12th, there is only 1 biz seat available. i guess the main problem is that there is only 1 flight on this route now. previous years, there were 2 so the upgrades were more plentiful.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burtonmadness
but since it was within the 100 hour window, they could confirm C upgrade if I re-ticketed at a higher price. Was quoted $2700!!!!
This brings up a question and a concern:

Since this is an international flight, with eVIPs, why is the 100 hour window relevant? This is only for EXP on domestic flights.

I've never before heard that C inventory is available for certain base fare classes, but not for others. If it is available, it should be "confirmable" regardless of base fare class (assuming it is valid, of course). If true, this is not a good precedent.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.