NGBC on 777s Starting to fall Apart...

Old May 17, 09, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Exclamation NGBC on 777s Starting to fall Apart...

Hi all,

I was shocked, last wednesday on AA 997 DFW -EZE, to find as many as 3 seats with inop or damaged functions. It started with 12 D (my original seat) having a screen so dark and flickering that it was practically unuseable. I quickly moved to 12 G where the seat would not recline properly with the motor doing erratic back and forths, and I ended in 12 H which was OK. The forward table next to me, however, would not stay locked in its panel and fell open at the slightest hint of turbulence (of which we had our share).

Since there were 10 of us in a 37 seat cabin, I was more amused than inconvenienced, but these cabins are mostly less than 2-3 years old....

Shoddy work or bad conception ? Also, for the bean counter geniuses who have not understood (or do not care...) that a moving seat needs a reading light attached to it and not only in the ceiling (and the light is offered by the seat maker but was not selected by AA), what about reconsidering ? Maybe if these things were properly taken care of, there WOULD be more than 10 pax in a 37 seat cabin...
Old May 17, 09, 9:58 am

Likewise on MIA-LHR last week, lots of seats with IFE screens that were flickering and going black all the time. The seats are not going to last long, they are just so cheap. Seat back tables are the worst, they are either stuck in position and need to be wrestled out or won't go/stay up at all.

IMHO the 767s are worse though, same problem with the tables, the power ports are universally dodgy and the battering that 2A had taken on my LAX-MIA at the weekend was unbelievable. Not sure if that is down to AA or AA's passengers though!
Old May 17, 09, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
They have been falling apart for months now.

Several design features made them prone to failure after only moderate use.

Armrest tops fall off with ease, often I suspect due to people trying to 'open' the wrong one to get their tray table out.

many of the magazine section doors fall straight down rather that stop where they should, due again I suspect to over zealous passengers opening them with too much force.

The default setting on the IFE screens is unwatchable but can usually be corrected by nudging the brightness up one notch to maximum but accessing that function isn't obvious for the uninitiated.
Old May 17, 09, 10:12 am

Programs: AAEXP, and every other one on the planet
not shocked...

yes, they are rapidly deteriorating... regretable but poor quality IMO...

dittymau
Old May 17, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
763 seats no better

Why single out the 777 seats... The ones in the 763 are not any better. Many of the same problems ( except different ife) exist. Arm rests, recline, panels near feet falling off etc.
Old May 17, 09, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Premature tray-table breakdown, misalignment and bending seems to occur on almost every AA plane, from the oldest Mad Dogs to the newer NGBC cabins (the 738s too).
Old May 17, 09, 10:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Same over here.. on my last few flights on both 777 and 767, I have had several issues with the seat, arm rest not working anymore, tray tables stuck, monitors with deteriorating viewing and a few more.. I was actually quite shocked by it.. seems like really poor product..

I guess even if it was due to passengers handling these seats roughly, I would imagine that AA would have selected a vendor to provide seats that should withstand these rough handling for a period of time..

It is sad to see the product deteriorating already.. and ironically, they are actually starting to promote the product quite actively.. am sure there would be quite some dissapointed passengers expecting those nice promised features as seen in their promo..

Hope AA will take note and start taking some actions.. it is after all the Premium cabin..

Old May 17, 09, 10:36 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
Hi all,

I was shocked, last wednesday on AA 997 DFW -EZE, to find as many as 3 seats with inop or damaged functions. It started with 12 D (my original seat) having a screen so dark and flickering that it was practically unuseable. I quickly moved to 12 G where the seat would not recline properly with the motor doing erratic back and forths, and I ended in 12 H which was OK. The forward table next to me, however, would not stay locked in its panel and fell open at the slightest hint of turbulence (of which we had our share).
Not to defuse what you stated...I wanted to add a few notes/observations that you hopefully tried to remedy this:

The seat jerking back and forth.....you can't have any obstructions in the foot well, and if you put your pillow or comforter behind your seat, but still inside the shell (as do a good percentage of other passengers) your seat will not do all of it's maneuvers, and will "get stuck" doing the jerking motion.

The front tray table.....on the T-7 only, there is a small lever/knob above the center section of the tray that locks it closed and keeps it from popping open. I've seen pax trying to close the table and not know about this lever, as well as "force" it open due to not knowing about said lever. I presume you knew about this lever/knob?
Old May 17, 09, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
Premature tray-table breakdown, misalignment and bending seems to occur on almost every AA plane, from the oldest Mad Dogs to the newer NGBC cabins (the 738s too).
The misaligned NGBC tables that don't lock together as they should is my biggest peave. This has resulted in spilled red wine all over my pants.

Last edited by aamilesslave; May 17, 09 at 12:55 pm
Old May 17, 09, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
Hi all,

I quickly moved to 12 G where the seat would not recline properly with the motor doing erratic back and forths
FWIW... most of the time that can be resolved by getting up out of the seat, particularly if going from fully upright to bed mode. The first "hump" the seat has to climb over tends to be the position that "sticks" for me more often than not, and moreso at climb out than at any other time during the flight.

It sounds like in your case that wouldn't have made a difference, but in case others run into this problem, removing some weight from the seat seems to help.

- T
Old May 17, 09, 12:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
This is a good thing!!!

We had inop NGBC seats on MAD-MIA in February. The mechanics simply did not work, even after reset. So, the purser noted that they still had two unoccupied seats in F...so we sat there. Two other FTers on the plane came up to ask how we had gotten moved J->F. I simply mentioned that we had disconnected wiring and had to fix it after the flight, a joke, of course

Seriously, though, this is annoying. Even though the seats jerk a bit, I can usually get it to do what I want, although it shouldn't take that much effort. As already noted, the mis-aligned tray tables are the primary annoyance. This seems more common than not.

I sure hope that these are still under warranty so that AA are not still paying full boat for repairs.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; May 18, 09 at 9:18 am
Old May 17, 09, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
For me it has to be the following:

1. Misaligned interlocking tray-tables. Never had a seat which worked as it should

2. Shoddy IFE. Seriously, I don't know why AA kept this decade old bulky active matrix screen. My $300 netbook has a larger, brighter, and beautiful screen than this junk.
Old May 17, 09, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by brp View Post
We had inop NGBC seats on MAD-MIA in February. The mechanics simply did not work, even after reset. So, the purser noted that they still had two unoccupied seats in F...so we sat there. Two other FTers on the plane came up to ask how we had gotten moved J->F. I simply mentioned that we had disconnected wiring and had to fix it after the flight

Seriously, though, this is annoying. Even though the seats jerk a bit, I can usually get it to do what I want, although it shouldn't take that much effort. As already noted, the mis-aligned tray tables are the primary annoyance. This seems more common than not.

I sure hope that these are still under warranty so that AA are not still paying full boat for repairs.

Cheers.

Oh thats funny!! Im gonna have to use that line one day.

I had problems as well with the AVOD's on two LHR flights within one month. This last weekend, did a trip to SJO and even on the other planes, they dont have their entertainment as good as it should be (screen flickering, sound cutting in/out, etc)
Old May 17, 09, 5:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Flying TATL at lTeast x1/month, NGBC on all flights, every one with the problems noted above.

Most recent one, the screen was duct-taped to the panel so it wouldn't keep falling out.

On most flights, te IFE has gone out more than once requiring a re-boot that keeps all pax from watching anything for 30 min.

Occasionally I'll see a mechanic called on board who then insists there's nothing to be done. On one flight, when a mechanic was reportedly not available, the purser said they couldn't take a delay in calling one.

On one flight, two of the coach lavs were inoperative and pax were redirected to the J ones.
Old May 17, 09, 5:36 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My batting average on seats that work as intended vs. those with minor to major defects is around 70% bad, 30% good. Dark IFE screens and constant re-booting, bad audio jacks (one side of the stereo not working), armrests falling off, tray tables wonky, unlocking, misaligned; unadjustable/misadjustable seats (no impediments,) loose trim (esp. metal strips on the aisle side that I've witnessed twice gouge FAs legs resulting in nylon and maybe skin damage)... Oy.

I thought the current generation of BA Club seats set the standard for flimsy construction but I'm afraid NGBC is pulling ahead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: