Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you sued AA lately?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Have you sued AA lately?

I am curious to see if anybody on here has taken AA to court and if, regardless of the outcome of that particular issue, there have been any repercussions or unintended consequences, like frozen AA accounts, refusal to sell tickets, 'put on the black list', etc.

Cheers
Old May 16, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am curious to see if anybody on here has taken AA to court and if, regardless of the outcome of that particular issue, there have been any repercussions or unintended consequences, like frozen AA accounts, refusal to sell tickets, 'put on the black list', etc.

Cheers
No.

Do tell us how this works out for ya...

cheers!
Old May 16, 2009, 8:11 am

Cheers
Other airlines take a more formal approach to blacklists. At American Airlines, 138 passengers are now banned for offenses that range from striking a crew member to endangering the operation of a flight.

”A passenger’s behavior has to rise to an egregious level in order to get them on the list,” a spokesman, Tim Wagner, said. ”For example, if you have to be restrained or handcuffed, you would make the list.”
http://www.elliott.org/the-travel-cr...st-passengers/
Old May 16, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by WalkinBackToTexas
Pretty interesting article. I wonder how many people are on a list for complaining all the time as well?
Old May 16, 2009, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by chanp
Pretty interesting article. I wonder how many people are on a list for complaining all the time as well?
Indeed, very interesting article
Old May 16, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Cheers
Tell me this isn't related to your VIP/wait list post earlier this week...

Seriously, it's not about that right?

Regards
Old May 16, 2009, 9:33 am

I liked the way they told the same story twice. It allowed me to get the finer points I missed the first time.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I got mad at them and considered it for awhile when they refused to refund because of jury duty. lol but I got over it by just telling myself that I'll pay off the credit card at a later date
Old May 16, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
I got mad at them and considered it for awhile when they refused to refund because of jury duty.
I'm not sure I follow you - did you have an expectation that you could get a non-refundable ticket refunded because of jury duty? I've never seen that listed as one of the exceptions to the "no refund" rule, so I'm not sure where you'd get the impression that it was.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I haven't sued AA, but my husband has defended them in several cases. The most infamous was a case where a guy (lawyer) bought a vacation package to Cancun. While he was in Cancun, a hurricane hit. He sued AA for the hurricane interrupting his vacation. The district court told him it was crazy and threw it out. He appealed to the state supreme court. The written opinion given by the supreme court of Oklahoma was hilarious. They basically stated that AA could not be counted on to control the weather, etc and it was a waste of the court's time. They made him pay all court costs, including my husband's bill.
Old May 16, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm not sure I follow you - did you have an expectation that you could get a non-refundable ticket refunded because of jury duty? I've never seen that listed as one of the exceptions to the "no refund" rule, so I'm not sure where you'd get the impression that it was.
I understand where you are coming from (rules are rules), but I can also understand demkr's expectations. I would have expected it. Ive never looked for it in the refund rules, but I am kind of surprised to hear they won't. AA was in line for the government handouts when they needed it. Wouldn't hurt them to relax the rules so someone can perform their civic duty for the government without being penalized.
Old May 16, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AP, QF, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RachelG
I haven't sued AA, but my husband has defended them in several cases. The most infamous was a case where a guy (lawyer) bought a vacation package to Cancun. While he was in Cancun, a hurricane hit. He sued AA for the hurricane interrupting his vacation. The district court told him it was crazy and threw it out. He appealed to the state supreme court. The written opinion given by the supreme court of Oklahoma was hilarious. They basically stated that AA could not be counted on to control the weather, etc and it was a waste of the court's time. They made him pay all court costs, including my husband's bill.
Could you get the cite for that judgment from your husband. Sounds like fun reading.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Ive never looked for it in the refund rules, but I am kind of surprised to hear they won't.
Don't think you'll find it there.

AA was in line for the government handouts when they needed it. Wouldn't hurt them to relax the rules so someone can perform their civic duty for the government without being penalized.
I'm really not following how you can make that connection.

Besides, a few times when I've been called for jury duty and had non-refundable travel booked, I was excused from jury duty and made the trip. It's usually discretionary with the judge, but that's been my experience.

And back to the OP's question, no, I haven't sued AA lately, nor have I had any reason to.
Old May 16, 2009, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
Don't think you'll find it there.

I'm really not following how you can make that connection.

Besides, a few times when I've been called for jury duty and had non-refundable travel booked, I was excused from jury duty and made the trip. It's usually discretionary with the judge, but that's been my experience.

And back to the OP's question, no, I haven't sued AA lately, nor have I had any reason to.
The point I was making is that it wasnt an unreasonable expectation. Not even an extraodinary expectation IMO. Other airlines waive cancellation and change fees for jury duty.
Old May 16, 2009, 3:42 pm

AA was in line for the government handouts when they needed it. Wouldn't hurt them to relax the rules so someone can perform their civic duty for the government without being penalized.
Was in line, never took it except for the compensation for the national airspace being shut down for 3 days. Also only AA never hid behind bankruptcy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.