MIA / Miami Airport AA Terminal Renovations (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 24, 13, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and may edit this Wikipost.

For updates from the MIA North Terminal, see: http://www.miami-airport.com/cip_north_terminal.asp

10/9/11 - The new MIA Mover train from the terminal to the Rental Car Center is now open. [Press release and photos] [Link to Post #174 for start of discussion and photos]

9/12/11 - The current Customs & Immigration hall is in Concourse E. The new hall in Concourse D is now slated to open in Fall 2012. [Link to Post #176] [Link to Post #193]

10/02/10 - List of new MIA food/retail opening in the coming months [Link to Post #158]

9/28/10 - The Concourse E Admirals Club and Flagship lounge closed on this date and the new Concourse D15 Admirals Club opened the following day. The new Flagship Lounge at Concourse D30/37 is scheduled to open "in the future". [Link to Post #149]

9/15/10 - The North Terminal/Concourse D Skytrain is now running. [Link to Post #133] [Link to Skytrain Map]

8/20/10 - American Eagle moves to Regional Commuter Facility at Concourse D gate D60. [Link to Post #99]

7/20/10 - Gates D1-D19 (formerly Concourse A) reopen, along with associated security checkpoint; 8 out of 16 gates in use until Skytrain opens in Sept 2010. [Link to Post #66] [Link to Press Release]

7/12/10 - The new rental car center is now open and is served by shuttle buses; train service from the airport is scheduled for Fall 2011. [Post #65]

5/11/10 - For dstan's brief report on the progress of the Concourse D renovations, see Post #59

7/26/12 - The new North Terminal International Arrivals Facility is scheduled to open on 7/31/12 - [Post #235]

Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 09, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
MIA / Miami Airport AA Terminal Renovations (consolidated)

First things first, La Carreta has been moved inside the security checkpoint near gate D38, directly underneath the D admirals club. The old location is closed outside the old-D checkpoint (and current D exit)

Other news:
- the C concourse will be open for a few more months, then close down for removal along with the baggage building on the back side of it. AA is down to C5, C7, and C9 on this concourse. They aren't using C3 anymore.
- the old 'A' terminal is set for opening next year, and will be renamed the 'D' terminal with A1 becoming D1 and so on.
- The Flagship lounge will move to a new location in the 'D' concourse after it opens
- Miami was the TSA 2008 airport of the year, and I can't possibly see how this happened

Questions:
- Is American still going to use the 'E' gates? They are not scheduled to be removed, but the current walkway between 'D' and 'E' will be removed and the traffic will be rerouted to the main terminal

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 24, 13 at 10:40 pm Reason: N Terminal immigration to open
Old May 13, 09, 4:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
Miami was TSA airport of the year??? Wow that is shocking.
Old May 13, 09, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by phish1209 View Post
Miami was TSA airport of the year??? Wow that is shocking.

Maybe for the TSA, not the paxs. Really glad to hear that A is reopening next year and C is finally being closed for renovations. I went to sit one time on the carpet because the flight at the last minute became delayed (crew held up at customs) and I looked down at it and realized that I would have dirt smeared across my butt if I did.
Old May 13, 09, 7:47 am
Suspended

All this post is pretty much old news I posted on all those points pretty much multiple times here before.

But lets clear up the errors.
a) Having passed through MIA last weekend I would be surprised the main La Carretta is closed as of yet it certainly was not closed then.
The main restaurant is supposed to be moved OUTSIDE secusrty closer to the old A concourse area but there would be no point in doing so yet since that part of the airport is currently unsed.

The annex at D38 has been there for about seven + months and sells mostly sandwiches, coffee, soup at times and some desserts.

b) The Flaship lounge will move into D concourse .. no brainer... since AA will not be using E at all AND the entire AA terminal will be called D.

c) All of C as of today is not yet closed. By necessity the new gates to open later this year D29 and 30 and D25 through 29 require C to be demolished before they can open.
The new baggage system is now complete.. hence the annex at C can go.

Despite the usual nonsense posted here by those who never use MIA I have always found the security better than many US airports. eg DEN, EWR, JFK, LAX, SFO and on...

mike
Old May 13, 09, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by MIKESILV View Post
All this post is pretty much old news I posted on all those points pretty much multiple times here before.

The annex at D38 has been there for about seven + months and sells mostly sandwiches, coffee, soup at times and some desserts.
There's a new full-service La Carreta restaurant inside security opposite D38 (I think). I spotted it a couple of weeks ago on my return from the UK. Was going to post about it but assumed someone else already had.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 2, 10 at 10:24 am Reason: typoe
Old May 13, 09, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Silver (ew), SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Once everything is done (see you in 2023), how will the naming of the terminals/concourses work? It seems like North/Central/South hasn't caught on - everyone refers to the concourses themselves (A, C, D, etc.). It'll seem sort of goofy to start the concourse lettering at "D", but it won't be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Also, who will use "E" once AA vacates those gates? I won't miss them...
Old May 13, 09, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I keep wondering where I can get more information about the end game on this "renovation." For instance, the walk across the terminal is ridiculously long. Are there any plans for moving walkways? I suppose that if they did that, they'd be up on the second level?
Old May 13, 09, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
For instance, the walk across the terminal is ridiculously long. Are there any plans for moving walkways? I suppose that if they did that, they'd be up on the second level?
Do you mean between terminals, or within terminal D? I would hope that moving walkways are part of the plan between terminals, like they have at DFW, for example, but I'd think that within-terminal walkways are less likely (also using DFW as an example, although some airports definitely do have this, HKG, for example). terminal D doesn't seem set up for this.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 09, 9:19 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
I keep wondering where I can get more information about the end game on this "renovation." For instance, the walk across the terminal is ridiculously long. Are there any plans for moving walkways? I suppose that if they did that, they'd be up on the second level?
There is a train in the roof.
Old May 13, 09, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Having passed through MIA last weekend I would be surprised the main La Carretta is closed as of yet it certainly was not closed then.
The main restaurant is supposed to be moved OUTSIDE secusrty closer to the old A concourse area but there would be no point in doing so yet since that part of the airport is currently unsed.
I was at MIA this past Thursday night and am pretty sure the La Carretta outside of security was closed. (It's possible it was just closed for the night, but I think it was closed closed.)

As noted, the La Carretta inside of security now is a full service restaurant.
Old May 13, 09, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold

a) Having passed through MIA last weekend I would be surprised the main La Carretta is closed as of yet it certainly was not closed then.

b) The Flaship lounge will move into D concourse .. no brainer... since AA will not be using E at all AND the entire AA terminal will be called D.

c) All of C as of today is not yet closed. By necessity the new gates to open later this year D29 and 30 and D25 through 29 require C to be demolished before they can open.
The new baggage system is now complete.. hence the annex at C can go.

Despite the usual nonsense posted here by those who never use MIA I have always found the security better than many US airports. eg DEN, EWR, JFK, LAX, SFO and on...

mike
You're wrong on this one. I was there on 5/11, and the old La Carreta is closed, with a sign that says "visit our new location near D38". The new location is a full service restaurant under the Admirals club, that is completely different from the restaurant stand that used to be there. It's a very nice place, with lots of tables for dining, and a ton of food selections.
Old May 13, 09, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
To be fair, my experience has been that the waiting times at the security checkpoints to get into E and D/C reduced significantly in 2008. I don't know if that was just down to the new checkpoint opening or other changes too.

Being British, my main gripe about MIA is the very long time it takes to clear immigration as compared to other US airports. This seems to me to be attributable to 3 things: (1) not enough immigration desks, (2) the system used whereby passengers line up for a particular desk as opposed to waiting in one line, which serves all desks, as this has the effect that some passengers can wait a very long time if they choose what turns out to be the wrong line, and (3) the high proportion of passengers arriving from non visa waiver scheme countries. Does anyone know if there will be a new international arrivals hall for AA passengers, when it will open and if the design will address points (1) or (2) above?

Thanks,
Old May 13, 09, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
There is a train in the roof.
I think somewhere I had read that the long term plan was to have a Skylink type of train operating at MIA. Of course, by then I will probably be in a wheelchair if not already dead.
Old May 13, 09, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I think somewhere I had read that the long term plan was to have a Skylink type of train operating at MIA. Of course, by then I will probably be in a wheelchair if not already dead.
The access points to the train have been visible in D for some time. Look for the escalators that are blocked off with the blank signs next to them.
Old May 13, 09, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
the trains are already there, and the escalators to reach them...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: