Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and may edit this Wikipost.

For updates from the MIA North Terminal, see: http://www.miami-airport.com/cip_north_terminal.asp

10/9/11 - The new MIA Mover train from the terminal to the Rental Car Center is now open. [Press release and photos] [Link to Post #174 for start of discussion and photos]

9/12/11 - The current Customs & Immigration hall is in Concourse E. The new hall in Concourse D is now slated to open in Fall 2012. [Link to Post #176] [Link to Post #193]

10/02/10 - List of new MIA food/retail opening in the coming months [Link to Post #158]

9/28/10 - The Concourse E Admirals Club and Flagship lounge closed on this date and the new Concourse D15 Admirals Club opened the following day. The new Flagship Lounge at Concourse D30/37 is scheduled to open "in the future". [Link to Post #149]

9/15/10 - The North Terminal/Concourse D Skytrain is now running. [Link to Post #133] [Link to Skytrain Map]

8/20/10 - American Eagle moves to Regional Commuter Facility at Concourse D gate D60. [Link to Post #99]

7/20/10 - Gates D1-D19 (formerly Concourse A) reopen, along with associated security checkpoint; 8 out of 16 gates in use until Skytrain opens in Sept 2010. [Link to Post #66] [Link to Press Release]

7/12/10 - The new rental car center is now open and is served by shuttle buses; train service from the airport is scheduled for Fall 2011. [Post #65]

5/11/10 - For dstan's brief report on the progress of the Concourse D renovations, see Post #59

7/26/12 - The new North Terminal International Arrivals Facility is scheduled to open on 7/31/12 - [Post #235]

Print Wikipost

MIA / Miami Airport AA Terminal Renovations (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Or is Metrorail seen as more of a business-person service, less for leisure passenger?
Neither, really. Most people just see it as impractical. The county's population is about 2.50M, but only about 60k people ride the Metrorail each day. Much of this is due to the track mostly running alongside US1, essentially avoiding the western suburbs (which developed considerably through the late 70s up to the early 00s; Miami grew "out" instead of "up"). Metrorail ridership is actually operating at an all-time high right now, in part because of the realization of a "truer" urban core (more people living in Brickell, Midtown and downtown thanks to the 2000s condo boom) and in part because of the prohibitive cost of vehicle ownership for the working class. (Oh, and because of all of the UM kids taking the train to the ULTRA Festival every year.)

Tough to see it ever changing, imo, since no one wants the train to run through their suburb (it's a real NIMBY situation).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Originally Posted by jtw_mia
Metrorail will start running to MIA this Saturday, July 28th. All the local buses that used to stop at the lower level in front of Concourse E have already been rerouted to the new Metrorail station. The Tri-Rail station is still under construction.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/mia...rt-station.asp
I plan on trying this out Sunday and will report results.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Flying through MIA next month. Looks like the flight from DFW-MIA on AA is normally arriving in the D concourse and my next flight MIA-AUA is departing from the E Concourse. It is hard to tell on the map if you can get from D to E without exiting security. Anyone know if that is possible with the new design. Also only have 50 minutes for that connection, seems to be a tight connection with terminal change.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There is an airside connector - see map in OP - it's a thin line.

From near D31 to the 'trunk' of E - nearest gates are E2/E4/E5.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by exMiami
The immigration nightmare is almost over at MIA, and the new federal inspection station is almost ready. Photos of the new North Terminal passport check: http://bit.ly/Jw1kpd
The new Concourse D FIS opens today (July 31). According to the Miami Herald the old Concourse E FIS will be closing and may possibly reopen, not clear when...
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/3...ls-center.html
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by jtw_mia
The new Concourse D FIS opens today (July 31). According to the Miami Herald the old Concourse E FIS will be closing and may possibly reopen, not clear when...
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/3...ls-center.html
I just went through this nightmare today - total chaos...
  • Some bags took 1 1/2 hours to get delivered.
  • Immigration itself took close to 2 hours.
  • Line stretching out the door.
  • Many booths were not staffed
  • Systems were down several times for immigration officers

Not a good start. Too bad they closed the E terminal's facility - they should have gradually moved over to the new facility to do some tests before.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
I just went through this nightmare today - total chaos...
  • Some bags took 1 1/2 hours to get delivered.
  • Immigration itself took close to 2 hours.
  • Line stretching out the door.
  • Many booths were not staffed
  • Systems were down several times for immigration officers

Not a good start. Too bad they closed the E terminal's facility - they should have gradually moved over to the new facility to do some tests before.
I went thru it at the evening on Aug 1st as a Visitor(i.e. non US citizen) and was a bit disappointed as well.

Note: #s(# of booths and those assignment, # of carousel) below may not be exactly accurate.
  • It took 8 min from the gate(D45) to the immigration area by riding on another Skytrain.
    Taking a elevator may be better than taking a escalator to save time.
  • Total # of booths is about 72
  • Booth #52-#70 are for visitors, #71-#72 for crews
  • Saw booth #51 for US citizens, so I guess booth #1-#51 are for US citizens(some of them may be for diplomats)

• When I arrived at the immigration, there was a long waiting line(The line was stretching from booth #51 to #70 with 2 turns(thus 3 rows) + 5-6 people in front of each booth.)
  • 80% or more booths were in operation.
  • It took 35min to clear the immigration.I think I got lucky as there was no one waiting in front of me after I was assigned the booth.If there were some people waiting,it might take another 15-20min.

• Total # of carousel is 10
  • I was surprised to find my baggages not delivered yet(about 45min after deplane)
  • My baggages were delivered after about 55min from deplane.
  • Clearing customs was smooth, there was a few short lines.Took a few min.

So far, I rate new MIA FIS is better than ORD but worse than DFW.

I recommend minimum 2 hour layover for non US citizens connecting at MIA.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Aug 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I went through the new facility yesterday and was pleased. It took me less than 5 minutes to go through immigration - note though that I'm a US citizen. The visitors line was long but they had every station open over there - they only had 4 lines open for US citizens. Customs I waited maybe two minutes. The slowest part for me (other than getting to immigration) was luggage. Bags started coming off the belt within 5 minutes of arriving at the luggage claim area but even though it was tagged priority, one of my bags took a while to come (the other two were among the first off). Original connection was 2.5 hours but flight was delayed over an hour and still managed to make it. Even those in our group with a 2 hour connection managed to make it to their flight - but we were all US citizens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.