Platinum Phone Line - On Hold 30+ minutes May 2 2009

Old May 2, 09, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Platinum Phone Line - On Hold 30+ minutes May 2 2009

I am trying to book tickets (9:00pm PST) that need agent assistance. I have called into the AAdvantage Platinum line three times. On hold for 30+minutes the first time (hung up) , called back: disconnected the second time and on hold 30 + minutes the third time, although a nice sounding lady comes on te line every 2 or 3 minutes aksing if I am a member of the AAdvantage program - and if not, I can join and get miles for every flight.

Could it be the weather in Dallas causing this lapse in customer service??

Last edited by sfbarry; May 2, 09 at 11:10 pm Reason: corrected spelling and grammar errors
Old May 2, 09, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by sfbarry View Post
Quite possibly, yes.
Old May 2, 09, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
Quite possibly, yes.
I agree it; the weather here in Dallas has been non-stop storms for about 4 hours.
Old May 2, 09, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, VX Elevate Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG/Marriott Platinum
I think the DFW weather is your culprit - I just deplaned AA 48 (DFW-CDG) after it was canceled. Almost all of the 200+ pax were asked to stand in line at D33 for rebooking, and I bet over half got on the phone to AA reservations, since there was only 1 agent working the line. I myself was on hold for ~ 10 min to the EXP line. Agent mentioned on the intercom there were > 25 cancellations and diversions, including several international flights.
Old May 3, 09, 8:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Not sure if the Platinum line has only a single CS location. The EXP line is manned in Dallas; Windsor, CT; in either Tuscon or Phoenix; and Raleigh. Thus, I've never experienced what seemed to be a localized weather glitch to the system. It will, however, glitch plenty on its own. If the call goes to music -- hang up and redial, you're in an endless loop.
Old May 3, 09, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Danwriter View Post
Not sure if the Platinum line has only a single CS location. The EXP line is manned in Dallas; Windsor, CT; in either Tuscon or Phoenix; and Raleigh. Thus, I've never experienced what seemed to be a localized weather glitch to the system. It will, however, glitch plenty on its own. If the call goes to music -- hang up and redial, you're in an endless loop.
I don't think the posters above are saying that the Plat line was clogged because the weather was bad in Dallas AND the call center is based in Dallas. Regardless of the call center location, bad weather in Dallas (or any other major AA hub) will cause much higher than normal call volumes, therefore resulting in much higher than normal wait times -- often even with the EXP line.
Old May 3, 09, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How many hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of people do you suppose were calling the same operators (they respond to several lines, including the plain white card line, Gold line and Platinum line,) to get some help for their missed connections, delays, expected problems even prior to boarding DFW-bound flights, etc.?

Would it have been crucial to book last night and not possible to do so today?

Did you read this thread: AA DFW flights in/out delayed- weather May 2 2009 prior to posting?

Apologies, but you opened the topic and asked the question - to me, your post seems quite "me-centric" and not actually considering the realities of yesterday's DFW (the airline's main hub!) meltdown (70 MPH winds, severe thunderstorms, even SkyLink shut down at some point.)

Sorry; we know you were upset on hold and may not have known DFW was melting down - but now with 20-20 hindsight, it might prove interesting to read ahead a bit before complaining or ranting about the inevitable.

I am trying to book tickets (9:00pm PST) that need agent assistance. I have called into the AAdvantage Platinum line three times. On hold for 30+minutes the first time (hung up) , called back: disconnected the second time and on hold 30 + minutes the third time, although a nice sounding lady comes on te line every 2 or 3 minutes aksing if I am a member of the AAdvantage program - and if not, I can join and get miles for every flight.

Old May 5, 09, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
How many hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of people do you suppose were calling the same operators (they respond to several lines, including the plain white card line, Gold line and Platinum line,) to get some help for their missed connections, delays, expected problems even prior to boarding DFW-bound flights, etc.?

Would it have been crucial to book last night and not possible to do so today?

Did you read this thread: AA DFW flights in/out delayed- weather May 2 2009 prior to posting?

Apologies, but you opened the topic and asked the question - to me, your post seems quite "me-centric" and not actually considering the realities of yesterday's DFW (the airline's main hub!) meltdown (70 MPH winds, severe thunderstorms, even SkyLink shut down at some point.)

Sorry; we know you were upset on hold and may not have known DFW was melting down - but now with 20-20 hindsight, it might prove interesting to read ahead a bit before complaining or ranting about the inevitable.
Wow... chill dude.....
Old May 5, 09, 8:57 pm

Wow... chill dude.....
And here I was thinking about offering you the same advice...

On hold for 30+minutes the first time (hung up) , called back: disconnected the second time and on hold 30 + minutes the third time, although a nice sounding lady comes on te line every 2 or 3 minutes aksing if I am a member of the AAdvantage program - and if not, I can join and get miles for every flight.
Old May 5, 09, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Wow... chill dude.....
Hmmm... "chill dude" from the ranter who started a thread, utilized multiple crazy emoticons to hammer home the point, etc. Ummm, ok...

Perhaps following your on advice prior to posting might have been in order, no?

Regards
Old May 6, 09, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Clearly a case where I should have written the post (to vent) - but not hit "send" until the next day.
Old May 6, 09, 12:41 am

but not hit "send" until the next day.
Or maybe ever...
Old May 6, 09, 12:46 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
at least it didn't refer to the platinum desk. then we could have had another page or two.
Old May 6, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
Originally Posted by abk View Post
at least it didn't refer to the platinum desk. then we could have had another page or two.
Indeed!

To keep everyone happy, perhaps AA should stop referring to it as the Platinum Desk in its printed materials and Platinum Membership Guide

Just take a look at how it's been marketed:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

Don't they know that it troubles so many FT'ers to hear "Platinum Desk"?!!
Old May 6, 09, 10:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by miamigrad View Post
Indeed!

To keep everyone happy, perhaps AA should stop referring to it as the Platinum Desk in its printed materials and Platinum Membership Guide

Just take a look at how it's been marketed:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

Don't they know that it troubles so many FT'ers to hear "Platinum Desk"?!!
They probably did have a Platinum Desk when the elite materials were first published. With the present economy and the cost of platinum, though, they've likely had to downgrade to a less valuable metal, something like aluminum.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: