FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   787 deliveries pushed back to 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/944336-787-deliveries-pushed-back-2013-a.html)

tom911 Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

787 deliveries pushed back to 2013

In 2008, the Company entered into a new purchase agreement with Boeing for the acquisition of 42 Boeing 787-9 aircraft. Per the purchase agreement, and before delays due to the recent Boeing strike as discussed below, the first such aircraft is scheduled to be delivered in 2012, and the last is scheduled to be delivered in 2018. The agreement also includes purchase rights to acquire up to 58 additional Boeing 787 aircraft, with deliveries between 2015 and 2020. Based on preliminary information received from Boeing on the impact of the overall Boeing 787 program delay to American’s delivery positions due to the strike in 2008, the Company now believes the first of the initial 42 aircraft will be delivered during the second half of 2013.
http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/6...ar0331-10q.htm

kappa Apr 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I think the additional language below should also be noted. The bolded wording effectively allows AMR to cancel the purchase if it is not satisfied that the contract with pilots will allow it to “satisfactorily” operate the aircraft.

Under the 787-9 purchase agreement, except as described below, American will not be obligated to purchase a 787-9 aircraft unless it gives Boeing notice confirming its election to do so at least 18 months prior to the scheduled delivery date for that aircraft. If American does not give that notice with respect to an aircraft, the aircraft will be no longer subject to the 787-9 purchase agreement. These confirmation rights may be exercised until May 1, 2013, provided that those rights will terminate earlier if American reaches a collective bargaining agreement with its pilot union that includes provisions enabling American to utilize the 787-9 to American’s satisfaction in the operations desired by American, or if American confirms its election to purchase any of the initial 42 787-9 aircraft. While there can be no assurances, American expects to have reached an agreement as described above with its pilots union prior to the first notification date. In either of those events, American would become obligated to purchase all of the initial 42 aircraft then subject to the purchase agreement. If neither of those events occur prior to May 1, 2013, then on that date American may elect to purchase all of the initial 42 aircraft then subject to the purchase agreement, and if it does not elect to do so, the purchase agreement will terminate in its entirety. [Bolding emphasis added]

lobo411 Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm

They'll be idiots if they do pass on the 787. Crude's not going to stay this cheap forever.

zman Apr 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 11595418)

787 delays are NOT new.
No one is getting any per their original request dates.

Anyone want to guess how long these will be in temporary storage?

"Of the operating aircraft listed above, four owned Airbus A300-600R aircraft were in temporary storage as of March 31, 2009"

millionmiler Apr 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 11595809)
They'll be idiots if they do pass on the 787. Crude's not going to stay this cheap forever.

Some/many of them have been idiots with these kinds of issues in the past. Since that time they have thrown out their old "hardline" leadership and replaced them with "even harder-liners".

Unless there is a massive pilot brain transplant I fully expect them to hold the gun to their head and pull the trigger - with the hope that they bullet will pass through their head and hit management.

zman Apr 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler (Post 11598971)
Some/many of them have been idiots with these kinds of issues in the past. Since that time they have thrown out their old "hardline" leadership and replaced them with "even harder-liners".

Unless there is a massive pilot brain transplant I fully expect them to hold the gun to their head and pull the trigger - with the hope that they bullet will pass through their head and hit management.

May also be the reverse.
Unless there is a massive management brain transplant I fully expect them to hold the gun to their head and pull the trigger - with the hope that they bullet will pass through their head and hit the union members. Except their families will end up with lots of $ from the bonus plans.

FWAAA Apr 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 11598899)
787 delays are NOT new.

Actually, the delay noted in the 10-Q was also published in the 10K two months ago.

"Of the operating aircraft listed above, four owned Airbus A300-600R aircraft were in temporary storage as of March 31, 2009"

Until AA finds a buyer for them. As you may know, AA is retiring its entire AB6 fleet by September of this year.

zman Apr 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 11599131)
Actually, the delay noted in the 10-Q was also published in the 10K two months ago.

Until AA finds a buyer for them. As you may know, AA is retiring its entire AB6 fleet by September of this year.

Storage or Permanent Storage would have been more accurate.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm

787 delays are NOT new.

Based upon current market conditions, I don't see the A300 making a comeback. All of sudden, international routes seem to be suffering for all airlines, particularly premium travel. So IMHO those 762/763/757s (and maybe even a 777 or two) being put on the A300s route for now have no where else to be redeployed. But then again Mr. Arpey never has and never will ask MHO.

Looks like we will be flying in 762/763s well into the middle of next decade.

FWAAA Apr 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 11599142)
Storage or Permanent Storage would have been more accurate.

Perhaps, but AA doesn't use those terms in its SEC disclosures.

N830MH Apr 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 11599279)
Based upon current market conditions, I don't see the A300 making a comeback.

No, they doesn't comeback to making A300 anymore. It went out of production. Because its has been already retired older A300 series. Hopefully AA will considering order newest A350-900R/1000. Perhaps, AA will look for another new model 787-10/11/12 sometime in the future. It would be replacement of A300. I think AA will looking for largest order of 777-200LR/300ER needing more capacity growth for international routes.

I think AA will looking for newest route for ORD-DXB/TLV/AMM/BOM/HKG/SIN/BKK & DFW-SYD/AKL/HKG/SIN/BKK. It would be enough more demand growth. It will be take the advantage where AA will looking for largest aircraft.

zman Apr 18, 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 11601189)
No, they doesn't comeback to making A300 anymore. It went out of production. Because its has been already retired older A300 series. Hopefully AA will considering order newest A350-900R/1000. Perhaps, AA will look for another new model 787-10/11/12 sometime in the future. It would be replacement of A300. I think AA will looking for largest order of 777-200LR/300ER needing more capacity growth for international routes.

I think AA will looking for newest route for ORD-DXB/TLV/AMM/BOM/HKG/SIN/BKK & DFW-SYD/AKL/HKG/SIN/BKK. It would be enough more demand growth. It will be take the advantage where AA will looking for largest aircraft.

As long as Arpey is in charge the unions will NOT authorize any flights
longer then current contracts allow. So no need for any LR's or any aircraft for long routes. AA has pleanty of 777-200ER planes/capacity since they removed a number of 777 on the LHR routes (DFW/BOS/RDU).
What AA will need everntually is a better trans-con aircraft. They will either use the 767-300ER when/if they get replaced with 787 or AA will want a small fuel effecient 787 for transcon.

aamilesslave Apr 19, 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 11595809)

At one time one might have said the same about DFW-PEK...