Wiki Posts
Search

GA: Standby Charge Starting in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
GA: Standby Charge Starting in June

I didn't see anything on search about this, and I know GAs are not always the best source of information, but as I was working my way onto a flight yesterday, the LGA-ORD GA said of the 83 person standby list, "I wonder what is going to happen when we start charging for standby in June?"

I didn't have time to inquire more, but she did mention that it would be a nominal charge. I don't know if it's a charge to get on the list or a charge to get confirmed (or even if it really will happen).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:24 pm

Flame away but if true I think that this is a great idea.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

I am ambivalent. For people like me, who often just get to the airport early and want to go home a few hours earlier, I have no problem with it. Either I pay or I don't, my choice. However, so many people I see on standby are the non-elite, my flight got canceled / delayed, and now I am stuck at O'Hare types. These people seem so stressed and agitated that I would hate to see them charged a fee. It might just send them into some sort of psychotic breakdown.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
If my company reimburses me no issues from me. Problem is I don't know if they will. They are begrudgingly reimbursing for checked luggage (not for me obviously, I'm EXP, but they only recently sent out a change of policy to cover this for others).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cparekh
I am ambivalent. For people like me, who often just get to the airport early and want to go home a few hours earlier, I have no problem with it. Either I pay or I don't, my choice. However, so many people I see on standby are the non-elite, my flight got canceled / delayed, and now I am stuck at O'Hare types. These people seem so stressed and agitated that I would hate to see them charged a fee. It might just send them into some sort of psychotic breakdown.
The $$ for standby will probably not be insituted for irrops but folks like you that get in earlier and want to catch the earlier plane. On bad weather days I try to do it because more often than not I'm hosed if I don't.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
A fee for voluntary same-day standby is a wonderful idea, as long as elites are exempt.

I remember hearing a GA complain to a colleague about dozens and dozens of pax on the standby list on a LGA flight. Her explanation was: "they all book the cheapest flight and then stand by on the flight they really want!"

I think that having a charge (perhaps half the CFC fee) would make it seem less adventageous to book the 6am or 10pm flight and then try to get on another flight at a more reasonable hour.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aspex
The $$ for standby will probably not be insituted for irrops ...
"probably" is even too strong a statement as this was told to me by a GA who was also asking me if she looks green today. I imagine you're right, though. IRROPS would have to be excluded, but sometimes you do standby to avoid IRROPS. I flew in to ORD last night. I went early because it was going to snow that night.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I wonder what is going to happen when FT starts charging for unconfirmed FA/GA rumors in June?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
I wonder what is going to happen when FT starts charging for unconfirmed FA/GA rumors in June?
Zing!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
How would this logistically work? CFC works becuase it can be done by phone or at the ticket counter with a credit card. Standbys can only be cleared at the gate and the gate agents don't have the ability to accept credit cards (and probably cash for that matter too).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
gate agents don't have the ability to accept credit cards (and probably cash for that matter too).
I purchased upgrades from a gate agent with a credit card yesterday.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
How would this logistically work? CFC works becuase it can be done by phone or at the ticket counter with a credit card. Standbys can only be cleared at the gate and the gate agents don't have the ability to accept credit cards (and probably cash for that matter too).

The gate definitely can accept credit cards. It happens when mileage upgrades clear at the gate and the copay has to be processed, OR when a sticker upgrade clears but the member doesn't have enough stickers and needs to buy more right at boarding.

ANY airport agent (TA, GA, AAngel, Premium Svc, etc.) with a SABRE console can process credit card transactions.

Don't know about cash, but I don't see why a GA couldn't accept cash.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As a comparative basis, note that DL, NW, CO and US all charge for standby. CO doesn't (or at least didn't at EWR last summer) process payment at the gate - they send one to a passenger service center.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Too bad FT doesn't have awards for best posts. You'd win in most categories. Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Lets differentiate between SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGE and just STANDBY i.e being at the gate at boarding time without luggage.In the earlier situation htere is a $ 25 fee and in return PAx has ability to check in luggage. In the latter case the imposition of a fee would be irrational (except more nickeling and diming ) because the pax does not receive any service in return ( a few keystrokes on a computer is not a service ). One could make the case that I should be credited with showing up for an earlier flight with unsold seats because I offer the airline the enhanced operational flexibilty i.e the avoidance of potentialy paying pax compensation for an over-booked later flight or the ability resell my reserved seat for the later flight again and potentially at FULL fare for a last minute buying customer. The value decay for an unsold seat is 100 % like in $ 0 after check-in cut off time. BTW I do understand that airlines do not operate by logic but what they can get away with. Next : a coin slot (4 x 25 cents) next to onboard bathroom door for use of toilet. Remember it does actually cost money to clean toilets after landing. RYAN Air actually contemplated that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.