Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA950 flying germ warfare lab. My worst nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
AA950 flying germ warfare lab. My worst nightmare.

AA 950 from GRU-JFK two weeks ago. Seated in 8H. For those unfamiliar with the 777 layout, the 8H/J pair of seats surrounded on three sides by obstructions: wall of the aircraft to the right, bulkhead in front, and closet to the left (across the aisle). So I like the seats in that they are a bit isolated and the galley/lav noise has never been an issue.

Except on this flight last week. The PAX seated next to me appeared to be somewhere between Contagion and Night of the Living Dead. He's an obvious flu case: ill-looking, ague, coughing, sweaty, febrile. The guy looks like hell.

Now this is my worst nightmare. Crammed into a metal cigar tube, hemmed in on three sides by structure, and 18" away from a living virus factory. It doesn't help I'm a germaphobe to begin with -- but I think anyone would be concerned here. I took a flu shot, but I know the immunity is limited and who knows if this is some Brazilian strain not covered in that year's vaccine as always seems to happen.

Ring FA call button. FA comes over. I talk to her a few feet away. I need to change seats. FA informs me J and F are full and she doesn't even think there's anything in Y. I said ask a Y PAX if they want to trade for a J seat. She refuses. I want to go back myself and start asking people to trade but we're now pushing back and I'm shooed into my seat. So I'm stuck.

And the coughing - sweating - germ spreading guy next to me kicks back and passes out. I take out my lysol wipes. Swab down everything in sight. Station the Purell on my armrest. Sit there, terrified. Don't eat anything for fear of airborne virus particles getting in the food. Don't drink out of glasses for the same reason. The only thing I can manage to do is sip water furtively out of my issued bottle, quickly capping and uncapping it.

One lucky break though. I'm a CPAP user, and use it on overnight flights. (FYI, a CPAP is a cantaloupe-sized device that delivers pressurized air to me through a hose/mask while I sleep to help keep my airways open.) I'm able to put the CPAP machine all the way behind me since it has a six foot hose, closest to the (hopefully) less germ laden air in the cabin. The CPAP also (thankfully) has a HEPA filter, so hopefully it's pulling out all the bad germs. So with CPAP on, and a blanket over my head, I spend most of the flight cowered under cover and breathing remotely.

Long story short, got to NY. Immediately called my doctor's after hours number and got a Tamiflu prescription. Took that and some extra C and D vitamins and I seem to be OK.

As to the zombie walker who considerately chose to take his flight while suffering the symptoms of plague, a pox upon you sir. You didn't succeed in infecting me, but I'm sure you got a few people on that flight. And it's not only inconsiderate or downright rude, it's a life-threatening disease to some. So next time, stay home and skip the trip.

As for me, I've learned my lesson. Two isolation facemasks are now added to my travel kit. They don't pack much bulk and just might save me next time.

Last edited by phil_flyer; Feb 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:06 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps a first class seat will suit you better next time. No one will be seated next to you.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
AA 950 from GRU-JFK two weeks ago. Seated in 8H. For those unfamiliar with the 777 layout, the 8H/J pair of seats surrounded on three sides by obstructions: wall of the aircraft to the left, bulkhead in front, and closet to the left (across the aisle). So I like the seats in that they are a bit isolated and the galley/lav noise has never been an issue.

Except on this flight last week. The PAX seated next to me appeared to be somewhere between Contagion and Night of the Living Dead. He's an obvious flu case: ill-looking, ague, coughing, sweaty, febrile. The guy looks like hell.

Now this is my worst nightmare. Crammed into a metal cigar tube, hemmed in on three sides by structure, and 18" away from a living virus factory. It doesn't help I'm a germaphobe to begin with -- but I think anyone would be concerned here. I took a flu shot, but I know the immunity is limited and who knows if this is some Brazilian strain not covered in that year's vaccine as always seems to happen.

Ring FA call button. FA comes over. I talk to her a few feet away. I need to change seats. FA informs me J and F are full and she doesn't even think there's anything in Y. I said ask a Y PAX if they want to trade for a J seat. She refuses. I want to go back myself and start asking people to trade but we're now pushing back and I'm shooed into my seat. So I'm stuck.

And the coughing - sweating - germ spreading guy next to me kicks back and passes out. I take out my lysol wipes. Swab down everything in sight. Station the Purell on my armrest. Sit there, terrified. Don't eat anything for fear of airborne virus particles getting in the food. Don't drink out of glasses for the same reason. The only thing I can manage to do is sip water furtively out of my issued bottle, quickly capping and uncapping it.

One lucky break though. I'm a CPAP user, and use it on overnight flights. (FYI, a CPAP is a cantaloupe-sized device that delivers pressurized air to me through a hose/mask while I sleep to help keep my airways open.) I'm able to put the CPAP machine all the way behind me since it has a six foot hose, closest to the (hopefully) less germ laden air in the cabin. The CPAP also (thankfully) has a HEPA filter, so hopefully it's pulling out all the bad germs. So with CPAP on, and a blanket over my head, I spend most of the flight cowered under cover and breathing remotely.

Long story short, got to NY. Immediately called my doctor's after hours number and got a Tamiflu prescription. Took that and some extra C and D vitamins and I seem to be OK.

As to the zombie walker who considerately chose to take his flight while suffering the symptoms of plague, a pox upon you sir. You didn't succeed in infecting me, but I'm sure you got a few people on that flight. And it's not only inconsiderate or downright rude, it's a life-threatening disease to some. So next time, stay home and skip the trip.

As for me, I've learned my lesson. Two isolation facemasks are now added to my travel kit. They don't pack much bulk and just might save me next time.
Yeah, umm, this kind of thing happens when you travel. Those who are hypersensitive (as you even admitted to being) either need to acknowledge it, fly private or stay grounded.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
LOL you had me laughing during a meeting while reading this on the sly. But how true! I keep masks with me on those rare occasions. Tho it was as bad as a flight I had to take from LHR to Casablanca once on Air Maroc. The guy next to me hadn't showered in three months. The stench was so bad it burned my eyes. To make matters worse he had the nerve to take his shoes off. I flew three hours with a jacket to my face. I couldn't even eat. Ill never complain about US airlines again after that episode. I had to burn my clothes after arriving.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
Perhaps a first class seat will suit you better next time. No one will be seated next to you.
Must be Monday

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
believe me, the other pax felt more miserable than you did.

AA won't let me change flight last time when I got a cold, and I was so poor buying another ticket would mean I had to beg in street for 3 months, so I had to endure 10+ hour flight being sick, the pain in my ears almost killed me during landing...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mingw
believe me, the other pax felt more miserable than you did.

AA won't let me change flight last time when I got a cold, and I was so poor buying another ticket would mean I had to beg in street for 3 months, so I had to endure 10+ hour flight being sick, the pain in my ears almost killed me during landing...
Exactly. Have never received a favorable response when requesting a schedule change due to illness. OP certainly could have stepped off the plane. I have been denied boarding due to injury, however, which was rather annoying.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Suggest change title to: "AA Almost Killed Me"
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 869
Exactly. Have never received a favorable response when requesting a schedule change due to illness. OP certainly could have stepped off the plane. I have been denied boarding due to injury, however, which was rather annoying.
What kind of injury?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Sorry, but airliners are naturally germ carriers. Whether the person next to you is sick or not is kind of irrelevant in the long run. There are a million ways to get sick on an airplane and my seat mate is usually not the main concern. You can rest assured knowing there are nasty germs on pretty much everything you come in contact with throughout the airport and on board. It's a public space shared by thousands of people every year. Only your good health will mitigate any infections. Think lav handles, arm rests, recycled air, even the seat surface. Then, once you factor in travel stresses possibly weakening your immune system, before you know it, you're sick. It's happened to all of us. Best thing you can do is take care of yourself, live a healthy lifestyle, wash hands frequently, and keep your hands away from your face/mouth as much as possible. Your family doctor is able to stay healthy being around nothing but sick people all the time because s/he practices those simple steps.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
I said ask a Y PAX if they want to trade for a J seat. She refuses. I want to go back myself and start asking people to trade but we're now pushing back and I'm shooed into my seat. So I'm stuck.

You thought it was a health risk?

What were you going to say to the Y pax? I'll trade you my seat next to a very sick passenger who may be contagious? I suppose with full disclosure the trade idea is fine.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by blakepilot
Sorry, but airliners are naturally germ carriers. Whether the person next to you is sick or not is kind of irrelevant in the long run. There are a million ways to get sick on an airplane and my seat mate is usually not the main concern. You can rest assured knowing there are nasty germs on pretty much everything you come in contact with throughout the airport and on board. It's a public space shared by thousands of people every year. Only your good health will mitigate any infections. Think lav handles, arm rests, recycled air, even the seat surface. Then, once you factor in travel stresses possibly weakening your immune system, before you know it, you're sick. It's happened to all of us. Best thing you can do is take care of yourself, live a healthy lifestyle, wash hands frequently, and keep your hands away from your face/mouth as much as possible. Your family doctor is able to stay healthy being around nothing but sick people all the time because s/he practices those simple steps.
Best advise. Having a fully stuffed metal tube with people is not the most healthy environment. I wash my hands frequently and soon as I hit a hub I'm off for a shower at the AC to get the airplane grime off of me.

Given that people need to be somewhere and that a non refundable ticket is usually on the line most people are going to fly even when sick. Short of flying private there is not much you can do about it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sts603
What kind of injury?
PM
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 869
PM
But now we're all very curious what kind of injury would get us denied boarding...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have certainly paid change fees to change travel plans when I become sick (maybe 3 times in my life). Other times, it's just difficult to change travel plans. So, I just go and try to minimize the effects on fellow passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.