Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by martin33
Won't they also do it as part of a divorce decree?

Either way, not much help for our OP...

For a balance that isn't huge, one could imagine a scheme whereby the AA miles xfer to Diners Club, then (during BA promotion season), to BA, which allows household accounts. The transfer would be efficient, cost wise, but the purchasing power of BA miles is typically less than that of AA miles.
AA will do it if ordered to by a court, but that generally doesn't happen. In a division of community property, most individual items of property don't get divided, they get valued and assigned to one party or the other. The same thing happens to miles - they normally get valued and stay with the individual who owns the account.

But technically, you're right. OP could marry the family member he wants to give his miles to (provided it is legal in his state), then divorce them and get the judge to direct that his miles go to his family member. Having been through one divorce, I felt I was offering him the easier option in my earlier post.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
at least status isn't transferable and thus can't be considered community property. taking my miles would be one thing, but EXP? over my dead body!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
AA will do it if ordered to by a court, but that generally doesn't happen. In a division of community property, most individual items of property don't get divided, they get valued and assigned to one party or the other. The same thing happens to miles - they normally get valued and stay with the individual who owns the account.
It is common to have the court divide FF accounts, bank accounts, investments, etc in a divorce settlement and award any portion of the miles in one account to a spouse. But this does not make it exempt from a fee. The same fee that applies to a deceased estate transfer of mileage is also applicable to this type of settlement. AA is not part of that litigation and the court is not telling AA to transfer the miles. That decree is between the two parties involved in the litigation. AAdv will accommodate such a request when such a document is presented, but the applicable fee applies.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by benzguy80
at least status isn't transferable and thus can't be considered community property. taking my miles would be one thing, but EXP? over my dead body!
EXP, perhaps not, but if they had accumulated MM or 2MM, in any way, they'd get status.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
EXP, perhaps not, but if they had accumulated MM or 2MM, in any way, they'd get status.
So a 2MM lifetime Plat goes through a divorce and bam! drops to 1MM and the ex walks away with 1MM. Brutal stuff
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:58 am
Original Poster

just wondering, if it matters, i have the platinum AA CC, i am thinking of downgrading to bronze to avoid the annual fee because I don't use my AA CC that much, i use the chase freedom for almost all purchases because it gives the best value cashback

besides the 1-1 miles/dollar for platinum CC, is there any significant reason I should not downgrade to the bronze CC? and does downgrading affect my credit score? (i don't think so, right?)
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by azepine00
So a 2MM lifetime Plat goes through a divorce and bam! drops to 1MM and the ex walks away with 1MM. Brutal stuff
thats not how I read it

I have 2MM and if I got divorced and had to transfer with the fee,she'd have 1MM and gold..but i'd still have earned my 2MM
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by odom4president

besides the 1-1 miles/dollar for platinum CC, is there any significant reason I should not downgrade to the bronze CC? and does downgrading affect my credit score? (i don't think so, right?)
No reason at all not to make the change. I did it several years ago with no problems. I'm fairly certain that this does not involve another credit inquiry, so no effect on credit score that way. Also, I believe it's treated as the same account, so it won't start a new account record or decrease average account age. I'd call the new account people and ask them as they're the ones likely to be most familiar with these details.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
I have 2MM and if I got divorced and had to transfer with the fee,she'd have 1MM and gold..but i'd still have earned my 2MM
True. However, if you were to get divorced at 1.9MM, that could be a long uphill climb back from 0.95MM. Moral: Be super-nice to your spouse after 1.5MM.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
True. However, if you were to get divorced at 1.9MM, that could be a long uphill climb back from 0.95MM. Moral: Be super-nice to your spouse after 1.5MM.
there's got to be a joke about running off with a PLT blonde floozy in here somewhere ...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzguy80
there's got to be a joke about running off with a PLT blonde floozy in here somewhere ...
what is PLT? u mean power line technician?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
No reason at all not to make the change. I did it several years ago with no problems. I'm fairly certain that this does not involve another credit inquiry, so no effect on credit score that way. Also, I believe it's treated as the same account, so it won't start a new account record or decrease average account age. I'd call the new account people and ask them as they're the ones likely to be most familiar with these details.

Cheers.
yes, i made the change, and had no problems whatsoever, it does indeed get treated as the same account
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Your lifetime miles counter would still be at 1.9 million, which is what counts.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
That's not how it works at all, two different things are being confused here. Your lifetime counter would not go down, only the actual miles in your account would possibly be split in a divorce. For example, you could have 2MM lifetime miles but only 20,000 miles in your account. The spouse might get 10,000 miles, not 1MM, and your counter would remain at 2MM.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by photodave
Your lifetime miles counter would still be at 1.9 million, which is what counts.
aw, c'mon man. this might be the slender thread keeping some couples together, the idea that splitting up would cause one or the other to get their miles halved and not make LT GLD or PLT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.