Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
When you are logged into aa.com, it will ALWAYS try to re-fare and get you a lower price. Thus, Works As Designed.

To avoid this, either have an agent book it for you, or

LOGOUT of aa.com. Enter your PNR, and all your credit card info MANUALLY, and it won't do a re-fare.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN, DL
Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
The sabre system will cancel a duplicate reservation in the system, whether it's purchased or not. Additionaly, you cannot use an EVIP unless the tkt is actually purchased. The system recognizes these things. I'd suggest you call the EP desk if you want to do something like this in the future.
Technically..... it's not Sabre canceling dupe bookings. It's a service they contract from an Amadeus company. UA, DL, and about 40+ other airlines use the same service.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
** This post based on about 30 SWU upgraded flights over the past few years - ALWAYS initially held ECON in AA.COM - all INTL with domestic segments, ALL with SWU applied and RE-HELD and ALL purchased later, within the window - some on AA.COM and some (most) via agent.
Nice summary.

I have always purchased before applying SWUs, but I assume you want to make sure you got allocated any C availability before purchase?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nbevan
Nice summary.

I have always purchased before applying SWUs, but I assume you want to make sure you got allocated any C availability before purchase?
Can't speak for Madison Guy but certainly that was my intention at the least.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by nbevan
Nice summary.

Originally Posted by dazza189
Can't speak for Madison Guy but certainly that was my intention at the least.
Yes, I don't want to be stuck with a non-refundable TATL that I cannot upgrade! (Or worry about if I can upgrade = waitllist.) EXP really has spoiled me!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:06 am

Yes, I don't want to be stuck with a non-refundable TATL that I cannot upgrade! (Or worry about if I can upgrade = waitllist.) EXP really has spoiled me!
Since I travel mainly TATL 4 or 5 times a year, I book the lowest (non O/Q) fares, then hope for upgrades on the flights that I select (only missed one so far). The complementary nature of these strategies provides a win/win situation for both approaches. ^
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
+1
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:27 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Upfared held itinerary downfares at purchase

OK, just had the same problem upfaring an itinerary for an Award Upgrade. Booked Hold Reservation into OO/NN (outbound/return) online; called and had a Reservations agent upfare the outbound to NN/NN. Tried to complete purchase online and AA.com tried to downfare the outbound back to OO/NN. I tried logging out and pulling it up by PNR as suggested above, and it still refared to OO/NN.

Called Reservations who directed me to Web Services. (Agent suggested the logout trick, too, and reconfirmed that it didn't work for her either). Agent then had me go ahead and purchase the ticket online at the reduced fare with her on the phone; she then re-upfared the outbound, confirmed price with me, and processed the transaction. Purchased reservation now shows as the desired NN/NN fare. Just waiting for it to go to Ticketed now so I can upgrade! ^

I did a similar upfare a month ago and had no problem completing the purchase online. In that case, the entire itinerary was upfared (OO/O to QQ/Q), so I don't know if that made the difference or not (cf. Madison Guy's item #3 above)
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by dstan
Agent then had me go ahead and purchase the ticket online at the reduced fare with her on the phone; she then re-upfared the outbound, confirmed price with me, and processed the transaction. Purchased reservation now shows as the desired NN/NN fare.
So did the agent charge you for the upfare? If so, did you pay a telephone booking fee?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:09 am

Upfare in UK?

Has anyone managed to upfare in the UK (or elsewhere outside the US)?

Apparently there is no longer a web services group in the UK, and web services in the US don't like making changes to international bookings which create fare changes.

If the fare is still available one could rebook by phone (for a fee if not EXP), but this could be a problem if the itinerary includes a W fare.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by beerup
So did the agent charge you for the upfare? If so, did you pay a telephone booking fee?
Just got the receipts and there was no additional charge. (Of course, you're right, I should have confirmed that explicitly, but since she understood what I was trying to do and that I couldn't complete it online, charges were never discussed.)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club Gold
trying to book into Q inventory, website keep on showing O

I have read the wiki, upclass should be possible through the phone but is that possible with to do that completely online? I am outside the states right now.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by jackywhatever
I have read the wiki, upclass should be possible through the phone but is that possible with to do that completely online? I am outside the states right now.
Is there a local AA number for where your at? Why do u want Q instead of O?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Online there's no way to demand a specific fare code. The best would be to put whatever they are offering on "hold" (don't buy yet), then call them to make the change, then buy if everything looks good.

Shouldn't have to be so round about but that's life. Good luck.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackywhatever
No, it is sometimes possible to force a higher fare class online, but not a particular higher fare class. This has to be done by phone. Suggest Skype or other similar services, or many countries have phone numbers in those countries. If you have to make a toll telephone call, put your reservation in O on hold, jot down the PNR, then call, give the AAgent the PNR and ask for the price to upfare the segment or segments you desire to Q. Once you get an agent, shouldn't take but a minute or two. If you are in another time zone, it is often convenient to call around 2 A.M. Central time, and your call normally has no wait time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.