Wiki Posts
Search

Worth paying for an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Worth paying for an upgrade?

Hi,

I will be travelling from Delhi to ORD by AA and was looking to upgrade to Business class. I am a regular AA frequent flier and it looks the upgrade will cost me 40K miles and $350, is it worth the money and miles? or is there a way to buy upgrades at the airport for less money?

And also, I have an AA voucher worth about $100, can I use it for upgrade payment?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have never seen an upgrade I didn't like. Definitely do it.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:08 am

If you can access Coupon Connection (you have minimal posts) you may have something to trade with a eVIP holder.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anamica
Hi,

I will be travelling from Delhi to ORD by AA and was looking to upgrade to Business class. I am a regular AA frequent flier and it looks the upgrade will cost me 40K miles and $350, is it worth the money and miles? or is there a way to buy upgrades at the airport for less money?

And also, I have an AA voucher worth about $100, can I use it for upgrade payment?

Thanks
How could someone else answer this for you?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
How could someone else answer this for you?
I did my best. I have a hard time traveling LGA-ORD in Y. I can't imagine doing it DEL-ORD.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
as others have pointed, it's up to you to decide the relative worth of J vs Y

me, I'd go for the upgrade in a heartbeat, even though it does soak up 40k miles each way plus the $350 co-pay. sitting for approx. 15 hrs (14:40 going, 15:25 rtn) in AA's coach has no appeal to me whatsoever. I had a particularly unpleasant 13+ hr ride from BOM to LHR in Y once. it was torture, although a lot of that wasn't so much the endpoints as the conditions (dysentery, belligerent drunk, seats that didn't recline, smoking section).

as usual this is just my 2 cents worth, but I'd consider this to be a very good use of miles (Y -> J)

bon voyage
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Blumie

Said to perfection!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Somewhere during the flight, after 7 hours in AA's economy class, w/ almost another 7 hours to go, and all the fun of the Dehli airport awaiting on arrival, I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't at least tried for it.

On a TATL flight, possibly more of a grey or debate-able question. ORD-DEL is, IMHO, a no brainer.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I’ll and my voice to the fiscally responsible camp. The “correct” answer should be based on your financial situation.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Since nobody seems particularly interested in answering this question, I looked up the answer for you. Took less than a minute to find the answer. The answer is yes, you can use a voucher to pay an upgrade copay.

If you would like to be able to look things up also, I found it here:

Forum Unofficial User's Guide: thread links, Glossary & new member info.

This contains the answers to frequently asked questions, and is a gold mine of information.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
it's been awhile since I last used a voucher for upgrade payment but back then (2005?) I had to hand over the voucher to a ticket agent at the airport. no doing this over the phone, at least then.

hope things work out for your trip and upgrade
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Hi,

Thanks
Have you checked w/AA to see if there is upgrade availability for your particular flight?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Originally Posted by Blumie
Amen on that one.... Couldnt agree more. Especially on that long a flight!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 2:00 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
To OP: If there eaver was a subjective decision, this is it. We all like upgrades, we like to hoard miles, and we like cash. When to exchange them is an intensely personal decision.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
This is the longest of all AA flights. Figure that in coach!

As has been pointed out in other threads (search, search; nudge, nudge) the travel time in combo with late day arrival definitely would merit an upgrade. Personally, I would change travel dates to make upgrade possible, if required.

Go C!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.