Wiki Posts
Search

Counter agents pocketing baggage fees?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Counter agents pocketing baggage fees?

Don't usually read the AA boards, but my husband dropped off our guest from Africa this morning to catch LAX-ORD-BRU-KIN. BRU-KIN is on Brussels Airlines, and the ticket is a codeshare with AA. Our friend had 2 suitcases each weighing 70 lbs, and it was our understanding that AA would charge him $50 per suitcase. However, the agent also said she needed to collect an add'l $50 per bag for Brussels Airlines for the BRU-KIN leg, even though his luggage was checked through. My husband paid 1/2 with a credit card, and our friend paid $100 in cash. They were sent away to screening, but my husband came back to ask a question and saw the counter agent pocketing the $100 in cash. Anybody ever have to pay fees to one carrier for another carrier?? Any recourse?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
A few years back, I checked 3 bags, and had to pay for the additional piece of luggage. At that time, they broke down the charge as a certain amount for them, and a small amount for the final domestic HP segment.

I would have paid all of it on a credit card. I don't know how they account for a cash payment, but I would certainly get a receipt for it. If you didn't get a receipt, I would write to AA about it. A name, or at least a description would help them track down the employee.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELBABE
Don't usually read the AA boards, but my husband dropped off our guest from Africa this morning to catch LAX-ORD-BRU-KIN. BRU-KIN is on Brussels Airlines, and the ticket is a codeshare with AA. Our friend had 2 suitcases each weighing 70 lbs, and it was our understanding that AA would charge him $50 per suitcase. However, the agent also said she needed to collect an add'l $50 per bag for Brussels Airlines for the BRU-KIN leg, even though his luggage was checked through. My husband paid 1/2 with a credit card, and our friend paid $100 in cash. They were sent away to screening, but my husband came back to ask a question and saw the counter agent pocketing the $100 in cash. Anybody ever have to pay fees to one carrier for another carrier?? Any recourse?
Brussels Airlines flies to KIN??

mike
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Brussels Airlines flies to KIN??

mike
Sorry. My bad. Kinshasa is FIH. What is KIN by the way?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:25 pm

Sorry. My bad. Kinshasa is FIH. What is KIN by the way?
Kingston Jamaica
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
They were sent away to screening, but my husband came back to ask a question and saw the counter agent pocketing the $100 in cash. Anybody ever have to pay fees to one carrier for another carrier?? Any recourse?
Wow! LAX is just like FIH!!! I flew SFO-JFK-BRU-FIH in Dec.08 and nobody tried to strongarm me in the US... Kinshasa is a different story though. What a nightmare!! just about the worst airport experience I've had in my life. You have to pay off a few people to get into or outof the airport at FIH. When leaving I had to stand in 11 separate lines (including a line to a door leading to another line to stand in another line), starting 3 hours before departure. The day before I was bumped 'cuz I got there only 2.5hrs before departure.
SN or KQ don't control the airport checkin process, basically it's a bunch of conmen and gov't quasi officials (is there a difference?) who are all there to extract payoffs.

conclusion: AVOID FIH if you possibly can.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Was there a receipt given for all charges? That's the way to know it definitely was paid for the reason given by the agent. Collecting an OAL baggage fee is legitimate, basically when baggage rules are different at a connecting carrier than the originating carrier, especially on international itineraries. And being put in his pocket can just be a way to keep the money in his possession, and not floating around in a drawer. However, I'm not implying that it would be impossible for a true "pocketing" to have happened. If there was a receipt, the agent will be turning that fee in at the end of the day.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dc333
Was there a receipt given for all charges? That's the way to know it definitely was paid for the reason given by the agent. Collecting an OAL baggage fee is legitimate, basically when baggage rules are different at a connecting carrier than the originating carrier, especially on international itineraries. And being put in his pocket can just be a way to keep the money in his possession, and not floating around in a drawer. However, I'm not implying that it would be impossible for a true "pocketing" to have happened. If there was a receipt, the agent will be turning that fee in at the end of the day.
OK, that makes me feel much better. My husband did confirm that they both received receipts. I just have never heard of agents holding cash in their pockets, but maybe there is no cash drawer at the check-in counter.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:43 pm
tt7

Our friend had 2 suitcases each weighing 70 lbs, and it was our understanding that AA would charge him $50 per suitcase. However, the agent also said she needed to collect an add'l $50 per bag for Brussels Airlines for the BRU-KIN leg, even though his luggage was checked through. My husband paid 1/2 with a credit card, and our friend paid $100 in cash. They were sent away to screening, but my husband came back to ask a question and saw the counter agent pocketing the $100 in cash. Anybody ever have to pay fees to one carrier for another carrier?? Any recourse?
If it had been me, I would have paid it all with my credit card and have the friend give me the $100.

According to the Brussels Airlines website, luggage allowance is 46kg in economy and 64kg in business. 2 x 70lbs = 64 kg so presumably your friend was not in business, as there would be no charge for that. They charge 14 euros/kg for excess baggage (though it does say "Different charges may apply on codeshare flights and on some specific routes."), so if the friend's bags were 18kgs over the limit, it would be 252 euros, or about $325.

I've no idea what AA does about excess baggage charges when you're connecting to another non-oneworld airline and/or whether or not the fact that it's an AA codeshare flight to FIH makes a difference. The AA website is non-specific and says "contact reservations" - maybe worth a call to ask them what you would be charged on such an itinerary?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:20 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by tt7

I've no idea what AA does about excess baggage charges when you're connecting to another non-oneworld airline and/or whether or not the fact that it's an AA codeshare flight to FIH makes a difference. The AA website is non-specific and says "contact reservations" - maybe worth a call to ask them what you would be charged on such an itinerary?
Initial airline collects for all legs and issues a "two leg excess form" so the 2nd (or 3rd....) airline can receive their cut. It is a standard form most airlines that have the ability to thru check luggage has on hand at checkin counters.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
OK, that makes me feel much better. My husband did confirm that they both received receipts. I just have never heard of agents holding cash in their pockets, but maybe there is no cash drawer at the check-in counter.
As long as you got receipts this sounds like a perfectly legitimate transaction to me. It's not like they have cash registers at the ticket counters. Ta's, just like FA's on flights, probably often handle cash transactions out of pocket, then settle up at the end of their shift.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AMEX MR, Diners USA,, Delta MM SM, USAir Plat, AAir Plat, HHonors, Marriott Platinum
It does sound fishy!

However, merely putting the cash in his pocket does not mean he stole it.

Originally Posted by dc333

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.