FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   DEQM: It's baaaack... 2x EQM 3/18-6/15 2009! (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/932963-deqm-its-baaaack-2x-eqm-3-18-6-15-2009-consolidated.html)

brp Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 11890491)
Or possibly a whit? :)

Seriously, who gives a ...Oh wait, I can't say that :D

Cheers.

gemac Jun 11, 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by pvcnco (Post 11890303)
Me three! Outraged!! :P I was sooo hoping. I have a July 1 planned trans-pac. Hope it posts by thenat least.

Wierd thing is, i will make EXP this year, have 8 Sys-Wide UG's, something i have been working toward for 6 yrs (came close 88k with no time for MR, twice). Now, I may start flying J due to company/policy change. So, the eVIP might not be so essential anymore... life is funny isnt it? Maybe i will save my budget and do eVIP upgradeable fares on a few. I knw weare not allowed to sell, but are we allowed to exchange with FT-ers say if i give you mine for 2010, you give me back in 2011 or 2012?

EXP = J -> F.

FT rules allow you to exchange 2010 eVIPs for 2011 or 2012 (in Coupon Connection), but AA rules do not allow barter, which this would be. AA allows you to upgrade someone for free. It allows them to upgrade you for free. It doesn't allow you to upgrade them in exchange for them upgrading you later. If they suspect you, your account can be frozen while they investigate, and everything in it is subject to forfeiture. The problem with trading is if they are investigating the person you are trading with, they also investigate everybody they have traded with. Several FTers have gotten caught up in this.

You are also assuming that the person you trade with will earn 2011 or 2012 eVIPs to upgrade you with in the future (as they can't possibly have them now). While they may plan on that, in today's uncertain economic times, plans can change with surprising speed.

Lastly, know that later-dated eVIPs are valued more highly than current-dated eVIPs. This is often true as the current-dated ones approach expiration. You may not get a one-to-one exchange rate.

Given all that, if you will be doing all your international travel in J, I would either use eVIPs to upgrade a traveling companion or use them to move myself from J to F. YMMV.

CO FF Jun 11, 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by daeus (Post 11890005)
This post will serve as a placeholder post for all of the outrage and shock over DBEQM not posting on 6/11.

This post will serve as a placeholder for all current EXPs booking reservations between now and whenever the batch run is completed who don't have extra EXPs with equal upgrade priority, and for all current PLTs who aren't moving up to EXP, and are relieved to have a few more days not being bumped downwards in upgrade priority.

brp Jun 11, 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 11890564)
EXP = J -> F.

It doesn't allow you to upgrade them in exchange for them upgrading you later.

I agree that the rules imply this in the "no barter" clause. I just wonder how seriously they'd police this if not done as a habit. A few years ago, when I was short a SWU (then VIP), I had an EXP agent suggest that, if I knew someone who had one now, I could have them use it for me on this trip, and use one of my new ones, when I got them, for their trip.

I would guess (and this is, in no way, confirmed by anything official) that, unless the person you're working with is being investigated for gross misconduct (as gemac suggests) this would not be a big deal. Further, odds are that someone doing things requiring investigation wouldn't want to simply exchange one of theirs for one of yours, for each other.

Never do third party things, of course ("Hi, I'll let you use one of mine, and you upgrade my friend.")

Cheers.

rockhound Jun 11, 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by CO FF (Post 11890569)
and for all current PLTs who aren't moving up to EXP, and are relieved to have a few more days not being bumped downwards in upgrade priority.

just my case. I have my last MR this weekend as PLT so maybe a slight more chances to get upgrade. :)

demkr Jun 11, 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by pvcnco (Post 11886100)
So is tomorrow the day? Is tomorrow the day? So excited! I will become EXP for the first time! Thanks DEBEQM 2009!!!

If I remember correctly, the actual mileage post was done on 4/25 (but only miles through 4/18 were posted) -- so maybe it won't happen for another week if this person is correct

pvcnco Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 11890777)
If I remember correctly, the actual mileage post was done on 4/25 (but only miles through 4/18 were posted) -- so maybe it won't happen for another week if this person is correct

Thanks for clarification demkr. My last trip was June 7th, so as long as they batch June 11, i will be good. Looks like i should check account next week instead.

pvcnco Jun 11, 2009 10:11 am

< J to F >

Well, I realize that, but if I tavel I fare discounted biz, wont b able to use it... And probably not a good idea to do F on 777 with todler. I find the J seats more convenient.

Still, i think i am worring about nothing. Pretty sure a few trips back and forth, it will be easy to burn it up.

Panamajon513 Jun 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 11890491)
Or possibly a whit? :)

That's what I meant :D

vitacura Jun 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Patiently waiting here, I just hope they post before my next trip June 30th.

jrmstr33 Jun 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

After speaking with customer service, I learned from a supervisor that the batch was scheduled to start tonight around 10p and would run through the weekend.... How many days did the first batch span? I can't imagine it would take 4 days to process this... I'm so close I can taste it! (96K BIS miles, just need one of my three trips to post!) I'll reach it with BIS miles this Sunday!

Robt760 Jun 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Pure speculation:

It would be terrible news if AA were doing this to build up the AAdvantage program with elite flyers with the more than the intention to get members to fly more, gain status, and be more loyal to AA. I shouldn't think "bad thoughts" (but) what if the real motive was to make their frequent traveler program have one of the higher percentages of elite members, then turn around and sell off the AAdvantage due to it's higher value?

Regardless, I'm happy that they offered DBEQM. As of now, I'm 1k EQM short of EXP (before calculating in the next round kicks in.

tom911 Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 11892537)
I shouldn't think "bad thoughts" (but) what if the real motive was to make their frequent traveler program have one of the higher percentages of elite members, then turn around and sell off the AAdvantage due to it's higher value?

Wonder how much they could fetch for AAdvantage on the open market.

rollthere Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 11892537)
(but) what if the real motive was to ...

They're Lemmings, all the others did it. That was the motive.

thurst0509 Jun 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Been a lurker for a while, but this is my first post on FlyerTalk.

I am currently AA Platinum due to completing a Plat Challenge in May. I've been traveling roundtrip DFW-BDL every week since April and have accumulated 27k EQMs in this period.

Somehow I missed this promotion until today. I should still get DBEQM credit for 2 flights but can't help from feeling that I missed out big time by not being aware of this promo earlier... Is there any chance I might be able to retroactively get DBEQM credit for my flights between April and now if I called customer service?

Thanks in advance.
-Tim