Search

Substituting BOB for F/J entree / main

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Substituting BOB for F/J entree / main

Both of the entrees choices on both my JFK/LAX and then LAX/JFK flights were not exactly over appealing to me. I was very hungry so skipping the full meal was not really an option. Actually the Asian Chicken Wrap being sold in Y sounded better to me.

Has anyone, or would anyone, ask to substitute the BOB for the entree in J/F?

I would have felt weird doing so, I just stuck with the choice that was not as bad.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It all depends on the FA. Some will allow you to do it w/no questions asked while others will state flatly "no" or say that you must wait until everyone in Y has had the opportunity to purchase the BOB sandwich.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would have felt weird doing so...
My god, why?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I regularly ask to buy the potato chips from Y instead of having the warm nuts. I'm getting really tired of the warm nuts. Usually, the FA will go back to Y and get the chips for me.

I ALWAYS offer to pay for the chips and wait until Y has been "served". Rarely do they wait for Y to be fully served before getting the chips for me and rarely have I had to pay. In the past year, I've probably had to wait for Y to be served once or twice and I've probably paid three or four times, this would be across about nearly 100 domestic segments.

I have not tried to buy any of the meal options from Y, but I would expect that the success rate would be about the same. I do think it helps that I always do offer to wait and pay.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by woojink
I do think it helps that I always do offer to wait and pay.

I think that is the ticket... and of course being your charming and polite self
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Today on AA 283 MIA-LAX in J, me and at least four others substitued the entree in F for a BOB turkey sandwhich. I wasn't charged; I presume the others were not either.

The reason? Both entrees had pork. That's ridiculous that in F, on a route that caters to Entertainment industry traffic, which is guaranteed to have a large number of Jewish passengers that AA serves two pork entrees.

And I know this is stereotyping, but even the FA mentioned to me that when both entrees are pork on any flight from Miami to New York or Los Angeles, he always has numerous requests for BOB substitues.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
AA should actually institute a free BOB meals for F/J passengers policy. Sometimes people "up there" are not that hungry for the regularly catered full meal, but a sandwich would do.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Today on AA 283 MIA-LAX in J, me and at least four others substitued the entree in F for a BOB turkey sandwhich. I wasn't charged; I presume the others were not either.

The reason? Both entrees had pork. That's ridiculous that in F, on a route that caters to Entertainment industry traffic, which is guaranteed to have a large number of Jewish passengers that AA serves two pork entrees.
I questioned this a few weeks ago LAX-JFK when the two J choices were a Pulled Pork Sandwich or the Antipasto Plate (Proscuitto/Salami etc.=Pork) I will eat pork, but.......two pork entrees, and to boot, both of them aren't the greatest choices. Hard to complain when upgrade was comp., but somebody at GG or AA should add some consideration to these things during menu planning.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by woojink
I'm getting really tired of the warm nuts.
Wow, amazing! I think the warm nuts are the best part of the whole service... well maybe... it's the custom sundae, not sure.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Robt760
I questioned this a few weeks ago LAX-JFK when the two J choices were a Pulled Pork Sandwich or the Antipasto Plate (Proscuitto/Salami etc.=Pork) I will eat pork, but.......two pork entrees, and to boot, both of them aren't the greatest choices. Hard to complain when upgrade was comp., but somebody at GG or AA should add some consideration to these things during menu planning.
That was the same menu on AA 283. I was baffled. Even totally discounting the Kosher factor, it is simply idiotic to make both choices the same meat.

Last edited by MAH4546; Mar 18, 2009 at 1:09 am
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT
Well count me in as one who declines the warm nuts almost every time. I used to love them, but now I am tired of them.

Also, and more relevantly here, was it my imagination or did I hear BOB offered over the PA when there was no meal offered in F? Due to a death in the family I had to run to the airport on a moments notice and just grabbed the first flight out. I was starving, but it was a non-mealtime flight (or perhaps just a short segment, I can't recall). I considered asking the FA if I could purchase something from BOB to tide me over but just ate the boring nuts and drank booze instead. I wonder if I would have been charged had there been no scheduled meal in F......and also pondered the rules regarding what flights offer BOB as compared to what flights have meals in F.....which thankfully I am more familiar with, LOL
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Wow, amazing!
The only amazing thing is your level of surprise that not everyone shares your tastes.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
The only amazing thing is your level of surprise that not everyone shares your tastes.
Right.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760
You can pre-order special meals on the transcons, so if one needs kosher or halal it can be accomodated.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
You can pre-order special meals on the transcons.
Yes, but that still doesn't excuse them from offering two of the same meat in the entrees, IMO.

I don't keep Kosher, but I don't eat pork (and such is probably more common among American Jews than keeping Kosher), so it never would dawn on me to have to pre-order a special meal. Just like many people who don't eat red meat would never think that they would have to pre-order a special meal, because it's pretty much assumed both entree choices won't be red meat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.