Wiki Posts
Search

denied boarding pass - 9 1/2 hours early

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, UA/MP
denied boarding pass - 9 1/2 hours early

I have a couple of questions for you AA flyers.
My daughter just checked in at Madrid for MAD-JFK-DCA. It will be Iberia/AA metal. She got her MAD-JFK seat assignment, but at check in (9.5 hrs prior to connection) that the JFK-DCA leg was oversold and she was not given a boarding pass.

The questions are:

If she can't get home tonite (denied boarding) is she owed a hotel for the nite and a free ticket?

If a free RT ticket, is it for the itinerary (MAD-WAS) or just a domestice RT?
Since its IB/AA metat (IB booking) who is responsible for the free ticket?

There are Delta and UA flites to either DCA or JFK available right now for later tonite, does she have the right to demand they book her on one of those flights?

Thanks for all your help.

Sheldon
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sg7z
I
There are Delta and UA flites to either DCA or JFK available right now for later tonite, does she have the right to demand they book her on one of those flights?

Thanks for all your help.

Sheldon
No. Absence of a boarding pass nine hours before the flight doesn't mean she will be denied boarding.

As for compensation, search here or aa.com for 'involuntary denied boarding'.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
as she has a problem with the domestic sector -not the international any compensation will be based on a domestic trip.
I'd respectfully suggest she doesn't "demand" but calls aa (if an aa flight number -you didn't say) and asks what they can do

Reservations
902 115 570

AAdvantage
902 115 575
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
It's fairly common not to get the boarding pass for another carrier when checking in at an international location. Usually you just pick up the boarding pass at the flight connections desk at the gateway.

I have experienced this most when traveling on AA metal to Europe and then changing to a OW carrier in Europe. Sometimes I get the continuing boarding pass, sometimes not (one time the AA TA refused me the BP, but the GA at the same airport gave it to me). However, even when I did not get a BP at my originating city, I have never been denied a BP at the gateway.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Is JFK-DCA an AA flight or is it American Eagle?

What leads you to the assumption that a free round trip ticket would be in order here?

*If* the flight is oversold (and I agree w/the other posters - there are lots of reasons for not getting boarding pass yet) AA will first seek people willing to be bumped and offer volunteers vouchers. In the event there are not enough volunteers, then some pax will be involuntary bumped. You can find out AAs conditions/options for this on AA.com, using the search term "oversold" there is a lengthy list of options on the conditions of carriage page.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:01 am

As others have mentioned, denied boarding is unlikely. In any case, there is a seat for sale on the 10:35pm JFK-DCA flight today, so in the worst case she could be bumped to that flight and no overnight stay required.

IDB compensation, being cash, is a great deal IMO. I would love to be denied boarding.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA will assign only a percentage of available seats - it may be that there are seats, and in case of denied boarding, and as a through passenger she would likely have priority over a purely local pax (assuming the entire trip is on the same booking.) I don't see any major reason to put the cart before the horse at this time.

(One more reason some of us like to select seats as soon as we book, not to mention getting a better / well situated seat.)
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have a couple of questions for you AA flyers.
My daughter just checked in at Madrid for MAD-JFK-DCA. It will be Iberia/AA metal. She got her MAD-JFK seat assignment, but at check in (9.5 hrs prior to connection) that the JFK-DCA leg was oversold and she was not given a boarding pass.
The flight may or may not be overbooked, but it is not oversold unless more passengers show up on time at the gate holding confirmed tickets than there are seats on the aircraft. So she cannot possibly know if her JFK-DCA leg is oversold while checking in at Madrid. She would find that out at the gate at JFK.

If it is oversold, AA will ask for volunteers to bump. AA will try very hard to make an offer that is enticing enough to secure enough volunteers. She does not have to volunteer if she does not want to. If there are not enough volunteers, AA will involuntarily deny boarding to passengers, but that is very rare. I cannot remember the last time that there was an IDB on a flight I was on.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
If a free RT ticket, is it for the itinerary (MAD-WAS) or just a domestice RT?
Since its IB/AA metat (IB booking) who is responsible for the free ticket?
As others have stated, there is little chance that your daughter will be denied boarding, but if it were to happen she would be accomodated on the next available flight to DCA. This could possibly even be on another carrier. What will [redacted] happen is that she will NOT be given a free round trip ticket to any destination, domestic or international.

(Btw, where did you get the idea that IDB compensation includes a free round trip ticket?)

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Mar 14, 2009 at 11:17 am Reason: to remove the double-negative that didn't work the way I intended it to work
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
What will NOT happen is that she will NOT be given a free round trip ticket to any destination, domestic or international.
Did you really mean to put two "NOTs" in that sentence?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What will NOT happen is that she will NOT be given a free round trip ticket to any destination, domestic or international
So she will get a free ticket?

Edited to add: Pipped to the post!!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
Did you really mean to put two "NOTs" in that sentence?
Oops. At the time I posted, I actually thought using a double-negative made sense. Upon rereading, I see your point.

Originally Posted by britenbsas
So she will get a free ticket?

Edited to add: Pipped to the post!!
Okay, okay. I'm NOT going to NOT edit the darn thing.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:54 am

As others have stated, there is little chance that your daughter will be denied boarding, but if it were to happen she would be accomodated on the next available flight to DCA. This could possibly even be on another carrier. What will [redacted] happen is that she will NOT be given a free round trip ticket to any destination, domestic or international.
I agree that it's very unlikely she won't be accommodated (she's checking in early, is a through-passenger, and they almost always get VDBs if required), if she were denied boarding she'd be owed IDB compensation. (Up to $800, depending on the cost of the ticket and the length of the delay.)

I think UA offers a free domestic ticket for domestic VDB compensation, so maybe that's where OP is getting confused.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
I think UA offers a free domestic ticket for domestic VDB compensation, so maybe that's where OP is getting confused.
Now that you mention it it, I believe AS also offers flight vouchers for VDB. You are probably correct that the OP has confused AA's policies with those of other airlines. (As well as VDBs with IDBs.)

It's certainly understandable. Unless someone deals with these things frequently - or is one of us FT freaks - it would be easy for it all to become a bit muddled.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
[QUOTE=duchy;11412267]as she has a problem with the domestic sector -not the international any compensation will be based on a domestic trip.
/QUOTE]

are you sure about this? It is an international ticket originating in the EU.. EU rules would apply, not US domestic rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.