Interline to Iberia (IB)?

Old Mar 4, 09, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Interline to Iberia (IB)?

Hi all,
I have DCA-BOS-MAD-OPO flight coming up, with the DCA-BOS on AA eagle and BOS-MAD on Iberia. Does anyone have any experience with AA interlining checked baggage onto IB?

I have a 5 hour layover in BOS; would I be safer just checking in up to BOS, and then taking it over to the intl terminal myself and re-checking in? I'm a little paranoid because I don't want my vacation ruined because my bags did not show up, but at the same time I have just a little too much stuff to carry-on.
Old Mar 4, 09, 7:05 pm

You will be able to check your bags through.
Old Mar 4, 09, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
The AA Wiki is also an excellent source for this type of information:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...s_and_BPs_(AA)

Have a look and safe travels!
Old Mar 5, 09, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bags don't always show up no matter who/where/how you travel; if that's going to ruin your vacation, you may want to reconsider air travel.
Old Mar 7, 09, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
I agree your bags will be fine. But, how does the transfer look from AA or AE to IB? Arent they in different terminals? Im doing the same thing except MIA-BOS-MAD-TXL and am wondering if I will have to go landside to connect from AA to IB and collect a new boarding pass. Wondering what lounges are near the IB gates too.
Old Mar 7, 09, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I agree your bags will be fine. But, how does the transfer look from AA or AE to IB? Arent they in different terminals? Im doing the same thing except MIA-BOS-MAD-TXL and am wondering if I will have to go landside to connect from AA to IB and collect a new boarding pass. Wondering what lounges are near the IB gates too.
Im not sure about lounges near IB but I can tell you that you will have to go landside to connect from AA to IB.

Last edited by ethang801; Mar 7, 09 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 7, 09, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I see Eagle arriving Terminal B (same as AA domestic) and Iberia departing / arriving Terminal E (International, where AA international also arrives.) (Link to MASSPORT BOS pages.) Can one arrive at B and go to E without going landside and submitting to TSA formalities again at E?

Originally Posted by ethang801 View Post
Im not sure about lounges near IB but I can tell you that you will have to go airside to connect from AA to IB.
Old Mar 7, 09, 10:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

I suspect (but it has been a while, so I ask the question above) you will hit landside. As for lounges, BA has both a First and Terraces lounge in Terminal E, and if they are open, you should be able to use the appropriate one to your oneworld status - be sure to have your status card, as abroad BA lounge attendants have been known to act more like bouncers at a presumably chi-chi club. (As to BPs, iirc I usually get my IB BPs issued by AA at the beginning of my trip.)

Old Mar 7, 09, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I suspect (but it has been a while, so I ask the question above) you will hit landside. As for lounges, BA has both a First and Terraces lounge in Terminal E, and if they are open, you should be able to use the appropriate one to your oneworld status - be sure to have your status card, as abroad BA lounge attendants have been known to act more like bouncers at a presumably chi-chi club. (As to BPs, iirc I usually get my IB BPs issued by AA at the beginning of my trip.)
So, if I read correctly from BA's website, EXP can use the BA First Lounge and a PLT can use the BA Terraces Lounge when going Economy on IB? Are they each allowed a guest?
Old Mar 7, 09, 11:01 am

<redacted>

To the OP, whether to recheck bags seems to vary with airport and connection time---perhaps some FTer's with experience can tell you how well interline transfers go at BOS. I don't have experience at BOS, but lots at MIA---I've not had problems with AA to AA at MIA, but 2 weeks ago had a 3 hour connection on AA to LAN, and my bag didn't rejoin me for 8 days. In retrospect, since I had to reclear security anyway, I would have rechecked that bag, but YMMV....

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 09 at 2:05 pm Reason: redacted unecessary post quote and comment
Old Mar 7, 09, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds View Post
Wow, that was a really helpful comment.

To the OP, whether to recheck bags seems to vary with airport and connection time---perhaps some FTer's with experience can tell you how well interline transfers go at BOS. I don't have experience at BOS, but lots at MIA---I've not had problems with AA to AA at MIA, but 2 weeks ago had a 3 hour connection on AA to LAN, and my bag didn't rejoin me for 8 days. In retrospect, since I had to reclear security anyway, I would have rechecked that bag, but YMMV....
Well, YMMV is exactly what hillrider was saying -- there are just no guarantees when checking luggage, especially with connections. I had a 2hr 35min AA to AA connection last week, and my bag did not make it. The OP expressed great concern that delayed luggage would ruin his vacation. The answer just has to be that if you must check a bag, you must pack so that delayed delivery will not ruin your vacation.
Old Mar 7, 09, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
Well, YMMV is exactly what hillrider was saying -- there are just no guarantees when checking luggage, especially with connections. I had a 2hr 35min AA to AA connection last week, and my bag did not make it. The OP expressed great concern that delayed luggage would ruin his vacation. The answer just has to be that if you must check a bag, you must pack so that delayed delivery will not ruin your vacation.
Yep, your advice to pack so that 'delayed delivery will not ruin your vacation' is excellent advice, and is certainly what I try to do. For my trip this month that my bag didn't show for 8 days, I did quite well with what I had. OTOH, Hillrider's advice 'to reconsider air travel' was irrelevant to the OP's query regarding whether to re-check bags or not.
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Can one arrive at B and go to E without going landside and submitting to TSA formalities again at E?
Thanks everyone for your help...anyone know about the question above?

It appears there is also a NW World Club in E for members or those with Priority Pass.
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your help...anyone know about the question above?

It appears there is also a NW World Club in E for members or those with Priority Pass.
Yes, you will have to re-clear security and go landside if you land at Terminal B and want to depart Terminal B.
Sorry about my earlier typo. It has been corrected.
Old Mar 7, 09, 2:08 pm

That's the usual oneworld lounge access protocol (link.)

"American Airlines AAdvantage AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Equivalent to oneworld Emerald

Lounge access benefits: When travelling internationally* on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, an Emerald equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the oneworld airline pre-flight lounges, including First Class, Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.

* Solely North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations. This exception applies to AAdvantage members only and not to any other oneworld Frequent Flyer programme members."

(N.B. This may not apply when the lounge in question is a contract lounge not operated by the oneworld airline being flown.)

Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
So, if I read correctly from BA's website, EXP can use the BA First Lounge and a PLT can use the BA Terraces Lounge when going Economy on IB? Are they each allowed a guest?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: