What do you do with the free headsets?

Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
I leave them unused as I carry my own or use the Bose.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
As I mostly fly out of JFK transcon or TATL, I use them for the first and last hour of the flight (before and after they collect the Bose headsets and personal media players on 763s). Wasteful? A bit. But they are quite horrible.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
As I mostly fly out of JFK transcon or TATL, I use them for the first and last hour of the flight (before and after they collect the Bose headsets and personal media players on 763s). Wasteful? A bit. But they are quite horrible.
Before, yes. After using Bose it's a shock to my ears using these toy-like headsets.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I usually offer mine to a kid as they walk through First.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does AA do with the used headsets? Do they clean them? Ever since I started reading FT, I've refused pillows, blankets, and also headsets.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
What does AA do with the used headsets? Do they clean them? Ever since I started reading FT, I've refused pillows, blankets, and also headsets.
I'd be very surprised if AA doesn't throw them away. Given the amount they buy, they probably cost less than a buck each.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:28 am

Based on the quality and packaging, they are tossed out. It would cost far more to collect them, ship them to a cleaning facility, sterilize them, re-fold them into the nice loops, seal them and them ship them back to the airport. I am sure they cost $0.0000001 per unit (yes, exaggeration) out of Asia somewhere.

OT: Wonder if the NRT outbound flights mule them back to the US.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why does AA bother to collect them?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:35 am

I have never see the FAs collect the dinky ear bud headsets. IIRC, they announce that you are free to bring them back on your next AA flight.

Being based out of DFW, there is no way you can be mistaking another airline. Just to be clear, this is for the dinky earphones that come in the off-yellow transparent packaging we are talking about.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
So why does AA bother to collect them?
They don't, IME. If I use them, I either take them off myself and throw them away, or give them to the FA on the final trash pickup. I've never had them try and collect the headsets. In fact, if in coach one buys and owns them.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
I have a pair of Bose QC3 headphones I always travel with, so I just leave the freebies in my seatback pocket.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jurisdr
I leave them unused as I carry my own or use the Bose.
+1.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:14 pm
dlx

Programs: us airways gold, marriott gold, hilton gold, radisson silver
Wink

I hand them to any kids coming down the jetway but first ask the parent & they're always happy to get them. I'll take them off with me & as I wait in the boarding area, I pass some out there too to spread the headphone wealth. If you give them to the flt attendants, I see them put them back into their bag!!!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I have a couple of them stashed in my computer bag, in case I ever forget my Shure SCL3's. Other than that, I ususally just leave them.

One time, seated in Y, I was in an exit row next to a nice young couple. It was the husband's first flight, and the wife's third (IIRC). I handed my spares to them, and they were very grateful.

Also, welcome to FlyerTalk, dlx!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.