Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Admirals Club discounts - $25-50 off at select clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
isn't there some sort of renewal for renewing at the just opened club in Term B at IAD?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
isn't there some sort of renewal for renewing at the just opened club in Term B at IAD?
Yup - listed on the AC website: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...duAdmirals.jsp

We're celebrating the opening of our newest Admirals Club® lounge in Washington Dulles International Airport with a limited-time discount offer -- $50 off a new membership or $25 off a renewal membership. To qualify for the discount you must purchase your new membership or renew* your existing membership in person at the Washington Dulles lounge between February 1, 2009 and April 30, 2009.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by cruisereg
When the AC became available to AMEX Plat card holders, it was a no brainer for me. I let my AC membership expire and upgraded my AMEX Gold to AMEX Plat (I generally have no other reason to have the AMEX Plat). Supposedly, I can't confirm this, during irregular ops, supposedly the AC staff auto rebooks AC members. I think this may have happened with me a few times, but definitely not enough to justify the extra expense in my situation.
Amex - $450/year versus AC - $250/year. No Wifi in domestic AC lounges for Amex. Unless one flies multiple airlines, AC makes more sense.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by qazw1
Amex - $450/year versus AC - $250/year. No Wifi in domestic AC lounges for Amex. Unless one flies multiple airlines, AC makes more sense.
The PLT Amex price may vary if one is a corporate cardholder (e.g. $300 with a former employer).
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, UA 1P, HH Gold, HGVC
Done some searching and have come up empty - any discounts anywhere for new memberships as opposed to reneweing?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How can paying $250 for lounge access when it comes included with the AMEX card be reconciled with the statement of cutting expenses wherever possible?
Dave
I agree, in that having the Amex had been key to my decision not to renew at $300. I discussed this issue with the A/C staff in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and they argued to me that there is an advantage to membership because in irregular ops they rebook the A/C members first, before nonmembers who came in using amex cards. They claimed a list of A/C members who were on a canceled flight is given to them immediately when a flight cancels. But that wasn't enough to convince me not to cancel at that price. And they did not offer any discount despite it being clear price was the reason I was not renewing.

So I did also factor in the Amex access as a factor in deciding nevertheless to renew at $250 at DFW yesterday. I decide to renew at that price, in part because (1) I have doubts about how long the Amex partnership will last, especially since it is such an incentive for A/C members to quit; (2) I am considering cutting the Amex when it comes up for renewal unless they offer a significant break on fee; (3) if either (1) or (2) come to pass I assume I would have to pay initiation fee plus nondiscounted dues to A/C in order to rejoin.

A pretty close call as evidenced by the fact that $250 vs. $300 made the difference, and I certainly see your point.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I was offered the $50 discount at LAX 2 weeks ago.
Same here. Although I eventually decided to renew with miles.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Got it for 250 at lax on sat.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I was offered the $50 discount at LAX 2 weeks ago.
how did you get this? I mean did you ask? did they flat out offer when you checked in???
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by funnyman1515
Done some searching and have come up empty - any discounts anywhere for new memberships as opposed to reneweing?
Citibank Business card is $50 off for new membership and $25 off for renewals. You can check and see if that is still available.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The PLT Amex price may vary if one is a corporate cardholder (e.g. $300 with a former employer).
That's nice! If it was only a difference of $50, probably would choose the Amex option for those one in a while trip with another airline.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I called the IAD club, and they gave me the $25 "in person" discount when I renewed over the phone. I am upset, however, that I did not know some clubs were giving $50 off. I renewed last month before I lost EXP, so I paid $275.

My justification in renewing instead of using my Plat Amex is that since I always use the wireless in the AC, I would have to pay $19.99/month for T-Mobile access ($240). I figured the extra $35 was worth it on the off chance I benefit from that silly "priority" handling during irrops one day this year.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: IC Plat RA
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why not just use the AMEX card?
There are a few threads discussing this. But, FWIW I know that with AMEX you don't get free Wi-Fi or drink coupons.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, UA 1P, HH Gold, HGVC
Thanks qazw1, I'll check that out. Cheers!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: IC Plat RA
Originally Posted by qazw1
Sorry for the above. Just caught this post on the re-read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.