Search

American Airlines Pilots Plan CHAOS If Mediation Fails

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post American Airlines Pilots Plan CHAOS If Mediation Fails

The union that represents American Airlines pilots says it's conducting drills, preparing to disrupt the airline's flight schedule if federal mediation fails to bring a new contract agreement with management.

Union President Lloyd Hill said his group has decided against an all-out strike that would shut down the airline completely. Instead, the union is instead looking at a strategy to create random disruption and chaos at the nation's second largest airline, he said.

"If I were the company, I wouldn't be underestimating what's going on," he said.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/...ion-Fails.html
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Nice timing.

And unless AA is lying or misrepresenting the data, they're the highest paid in the US (or least productive) of all us airlines, bar none, by a large margin: http://www.aanegotiations.com/pilotblock.asp
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by hillrider
Wow. Nice timing.

And unless AA is lying or misrepresenting the data, they're the highest paid in the US (or least productive) of all us airlines, bar none, by a large margin: http://www.aanegotiations.com/pilotblock.asp
I wonder how they compare to worldwide airlines (outside the US)?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chanp
I wonder how they compare to worldwide airlines (outside the US)?
If they want to go after a higher paying job elsewhere, they are free to go.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

on the thread title.....how does one organise chaos?

Dave
Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
You have got to be kidding me!

500,000 jobs were vaporized 2 weeks ago. The unemployment rate is RISING!

The country is in a recession where recovery may not START until early 2010 (That's a year from now Captain Hill).

The world is in a recession where recovery may not start until late 2010/early2011.

Get a grip! Read a paper! Reality is not a concept!

My guess is that these guys are not going to get a lot of sympathy if there is any kind of job action. Or perhaps union leadership is so smart, they are trying to replicate the success that the UAW has brought to the U. S. auto industry.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
All the pilots want is a contract. Now what can be agreed upon is another story. I find it amazing that everyone on FT wants to blame the pilots all the time. AMR corporation is just as responsible for dragging out these negotiations. For some reason AMR loves to flight with it's union employee's.

This is going way back to the Bob Crandall days. The truth is leadership starts at the top and right now CEO Gerald Arpey has refused several invites to sit down with APA.

Now I am not saying times are not bad. Yes I read the paper, watch CNBC, Mad money and everything else. However if AMR wanted to get a deal done, any deal, they would be sitting in a room non-stop getting it "done" Truth is that is not happening. I am a EXP AA loving die hard like the rest of us but come on get a deal done. Get out of Dallas and go to some off site meeting place. Lock both sides in a room and nobody comes out until a deal is worked out.

**Off topic a little**

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Herb Kelleher at a local bar one night a few years ago here in Dallas. Herb was having his normal wild turkey whiskey and the conversation was everything about the airline industry. One thing I remember him saying is he ALWAYS sat down with the pilots early to hammer out a deal. He understood the concept of happy employees take care of the customer which in turn takes care of the company. The unions at SWA and Herb had mutual respect. Maybe someday someone at APA and AMR will read the book "NUTS"

Last edited by mach92; Feb 25, 2009 at 5:59 am
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I'll fly some other airlines for the moment.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
One thing I remember him saying is he ALWAYS sat down with the pilots early to hammer out a deal. He understood the concept of happy employees take care of the customer which in turn takes care of the company.
Indeed. Some would argue that's why Southwest has enjoyed much of the success that it has.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Work-to-rule stoppage is easy enough to accomplish. And how well did UA SFH or NW CHAOS work... in the long run?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Any type of chaos or job action will simply end up shooting themselves in the foot. The economy is such that any reason to cancel a trip will be taken, people who have to travel will not book on AA, and more jobs will be lost. We've seen how well such actions and belligerence on part of the unions has worked in the past or in industries like auto. Most US-based professionals I know don't have contracts, it is employment at will. Get over it and get to work
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
In the end, can't AA just claim mechanical malfunction on the aircraft where chaos has been "organized". It just seems that whatever havoc they could cause would be minimal.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ValiantFlyer
In the end, can't AA just claim mechanical malfunction on the aircraft where chaos has been "organized". It just seems that whatever havoc they could cause would be minimal.
But how can you claim or even predict such an outcome without knowing the "plan"?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mach92
All the pilots want is a contract. Now what can be agreed upon is another story. I find it amazing that everyone on FT wants to blame the pilots all the time. AMR corporation is just as responsible for dragging out these negotiations. For some reason AMR loves to flight with it's union employee's.

This is going way back to the Bob Crandall days. The truth is leadership starts at the top and right now CEO Gerald Arpey has refused several invites to sit down with APA.

Now I am not saying times are not bad. Yes I read the paper, watch CNBC, Mad money and everything else. However if AMR wanted to get a deal done, any deal, they would be sitting in a room non-stop getting it "done" Truth is that is not happening. I am a EXP AA loving die hard like the rest of us but come on get a deal done. Get out of Dallas and go to some off site meeting place. Lock both sides in a room and nobody comes out until a deal is worked out.

**Off topic a little**

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Herb Kelleher at a local bar one night a few years ago here in Dallas. Herb was having his normal wild turkey whiskey and the conversation was everything about the airline industry. One thing I remember him saying is he ALWAYS sat down with the pilots early to hammer out a deal. He understood the concept of happy employees take care of the customer which in turn takes care of the company. The unions at SWA and Herb had mutual respect. Maybe someday someone at APA and AMR will read the book "NUTS"
It is indeed amazing how such a strong feeling against the union or workers of AA prevails on this board.

Not that I am supporting either one, as I certainly don't have all the details to make a judgment. But I do doubt that everyone else (who is making such strong claims) does either.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:37 am

If there is an organized "chaos" for the AA system...

it will directly involve the federal government more than it already has (isn't that what everybody nowadays, anyway???). With all commercial flights on an IFR flight plan, it could possibly throw an already taxed, undermanned and underautomated flight following system into chaos, leading to other possible delays with other aircraft also in the flight system, spiralling downward (until the electrical grid goes offline, cats live with dogs, global cooling starts again - just kidding about that part!). If there is an organized plan that will start affecting others in the flight system, the government will probably act in the safety of the flying public.

Swimmin' M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.