international stop over vs. connection

Old Feb 22, 09, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

international stop over vs. connection

I always thought that AA considered a connection under 24 hours a connection and over 24 hours a stop over

recently i was booking an award flight and the AAgent insisted that anything more than 6 hours was a stop over.

is this a new rule?
Old Feb 22, 09, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by azmmza View Post
I always thought that AA considered a connection under 24 hours a connection and over 24 hours a stop over

recently i was booking an award flight and the AAgent insisted that anything more than 6 hours was a stop over.

is this a new rule?
It depends on when the next legal connection is. For example, on a NYC-LHR-TLV routing, as long as I take a flight that arrives in LHR after 7:30am, the next legal connection would be BA-162 at 10:30pm. Thus, I could get a free day in London and have it count as a connection not a stop-over (even though it was more than 6 hours later)
Old Feb 22, 09, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Not a new rule. Take a look at the stickies above.

The wiki is also a great resource for this type of info that is readily available
Old Feb 22, 09, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a new rule. 4 hours domestic and 6 hours international. It has always been like that.

The only exception is the Last flight in First flight out connection - then that can be up to the 24 hours. Otherwise, it is a strict 6 hours.

Search this Thread