FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/923983-longhaul-menu-menus-meal-experiences-requests-menus-2009-consolidated.html)

HNL Feb 20, 2009 8:16 pm

I had the sausage stuffed fillet in F flying LHR-ORD on February 7 - it was truly awful I took one bite and pushed the plate away. The FAs were very responsive an offered me one of the extra pasta entrees from J.

The combo of the beef and sausage revolting - IMHO of course.

elitetraveler Feb 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for the photos ^ It looked like the carrots were not overcooked and actually were visually well presented.

FedUp2 Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Sausage in a roulade?

Originally Posted by john93711 (Post 11292802)
although I usually enjoy American's food, I ended up just eating the filet around the outside and giving the sausage back...

A german roulade has no sausage inside it!

Deltahater Feb 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Tom911:

Good to see you in ORD.

The meals on the ORD-FRA route where different too. I had the shrimp and scallop Indian Curry and it was quite tasty. By the time they came to row 4 they were out of the beef fillets. (Thanks Weinskkb)

I know that the beer selection on AA is horrendous so I brought my own this time. I asked the FA to open and serve it and they gladly did so. I got some jealous looks from 1B though. :)

Our crew was outstanding and very very personable

Wexflyer Feb 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by TimUT78 (Post 11294088)
I had the same entree choices from LHR-LAX in J a few days ago. I tried the beef roulade and the lamb. I think I enjoyed the lamb most though it was kind of small. I was indifferent towards the beef.

I forget the wine list, but I think we had Pommery for champagne.

And how did you get to try two main courses?

Deltahater Feb 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Wexflyer (Post 11295949)

Very easy... you ask..

Airlines have more J class meals than J pax. The rest goes to the crew in many cases. If you ask nicely, they will give you another one if they have them

benzguy80 Feb 21, 2009 6:00 am

Originally Posted by john93711 (Post 11292802)
Thank you for the pictures, tom, they're much enjoyed.

I had the roulade a couple weeks ago, and although I usually enjoy American's food, I ended up just eating the filet around the outside and giving the sausage back. The carrots were also a little sweet for my liking.

The lamb is a much better choice, IMO.

I found the lamb to be a bit dry to my taste. The roulade was okay, but just that IMHO.

tom911 Feb 21, 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 11295927)
I had the shrimp and scallop Indian Curry and it was quite tasty.

I had that as my "dine on request" meal JFK-LHR last week, though it's one of those rare times I did not care for the curry and ate around it. PHOTO

tom911 Feb 21, 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 11295123)
I dunno about that ice cream Tom911.... you didn't get the nuts, berries and whip cream, man!!

I tend to rotate around. I've had the plain ice cream with amaretto poured over it, and other times the full sundae with the chocolate, whipped cream and nuts. Just depends how I feel at the time.

TimUT78 Feb 21, 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Wexflyer (Post 11295949)

I sampled from my traveling companion's meal. :p

thecleave Feb 21, 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 11297081)
I had that as my "dine on request" meal JFK-LHR last week, though it's one of those rare times I did not care for the curry and ate around it. PHOTO

It looks pretty good Tom - could just be your photography skills!

wrxmom Feb 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Looks tasty, unfortunately tonight I'm in "steerage" so my dining choices won't be as sumptious. But I'll take photos so you poor folks in J can see what you're missing. :)

billgrates3 Feb 21, 2009 6:09 pm

good pics, wish they had that meal on J flights to/from LHR that I've been on!
(hope you passed on the frozen sludge, as I would have)

deac83 Feb 21, 2009 8:52 pm

I did DFW-FRA in F in December and the food from FRA-DFW (which I was awake for) was some of the worst I've had on an international flight. Most of it was inedible.

I also noticed that the food and menu was basically the same as J so it was quite disappointing.

The method of service was the only thing I saw as differentiating between F and J.

elitetraveler Feb 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by deac83 (Post 11299780)
I did DFW-FRA in F in December and the food from FRA-DFW (which I was awake for) was some of the worst I've had on an international flight. Most of it was inedible.

I also noticed that the food and menu was basically the same as J so it was quite disappointing.

The method of service was the only thing I saw as differentiating between F and J.

It has to be AA related as LH does a good job ex-FRA