Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eVIP v 500-mile upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Isn't an upgrade from econ to biz class now in "R" inventory on domestic 3-class 762 flights? That seems to be what our FT wiki is saying...
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Um, of course it is.
Sorry, but mentioning international travel is indeed irrelevant to the original topic regarding sticker vs. eVIP priority.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Isn't an upgrade from econ to biz class now in "R" inventory on domestic 3-class 762 flights? That seems to be what our FT wiki is saying...
Yes, as long as you are talking about 762 flights that are sold and operated with 3 classes of service, AND the daily JFK-BDA-JFK flight (2 classes but the front is sold as Business), which might be seasonal.

So, the quick-turn JFK-MIA-JFK each day on the 762 would upgrade into X becuase it is operated with 2 classes of service.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Sorry, but mentioning international travel is indeed irrelevant to the original topic regarding sticker vs. eVIP priority.
Are sticker upgrades not allowed on, say, JFK-AUA?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
For eVIP upgrades on LAX/JFK, it's coming out of C. I used two eVIPs this month; each came out of C. It's R for the regular EXP upgrade.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Feb 19, 2009 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Are sticker upgrades not allowed on, say, JFK-AUA?
Sure, since it is treated as domestic for upgrade purposes.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:48 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what's a sticker?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
The question I have and there may not be a standard answer, but if I'm inside the 100 hour window, which tends to clear first C class or R class for a flight from say San Juan.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Sure, since it is treated as domestic for upgrade purposes.
Well, I'm not sure why it needs to be treated as "domestic." The Platinum guide says:

Complimentary and 500-Mile Upgrades
As an AAdvantage Platinum member, you may request a complimentary upgrade for yourself and one companion on eligible* American Airlines flights when you are both traveling on full-fare Economy Class tickets (fares
beginning with Y or B, excluding military/government fares).
* Upgrades are subject to capacity controls and seating limitations and are valid for travel within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda and between the U.S. and Central America.

I think it's quite clear that sticker upgrades are permitted on international flights. In fact, I'd even go so far as to guess that there are more international routes where you CAN use sticker upgrades than where you cannot.

Back to my original point -- it is entirely relevant to mention international travel in the context of the original post and sticker vs. eVIP priority.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Just to clarify, because there was a bit of imprecision in an earlier post that led to this discussion and, perhaps, some confusion, the full list is:

Upgrade to cabin sold as Business
C = mileage award upgrade; eVIP/SWU upgrade
R = sticker/500-mi electronic upgrade; EXP complimentary upgrade

Upgrade to cabin sold as First
A = mileage award upgrade; eVIP/SWU upgrade
X = sticker/500-mi electronic upgrade; EXP complimentary upgrade

I think this is clear on the wiki Inventory page, but feel free to rephrase if that isn't the case. This is also described on the wiki Upgrades page.

What changed was that sales (kiosk) upgrades used to book into R, but since that is now being used for a revenue bucket on certain intl flights, those upgrades now book into C. And I see that hillrider has just updated the Inventory page to detail this more clearly! ^

[Edited: In retrospect, I'm not sure the part about "certain travel agency certificates" was correct - removed it]

Last edited by dstan; Feb 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.