Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rescuing an expiring non-refundable ticket: What's AA's cheapest fare this week?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rescuing an expiring non-refundable ticket: What's AA's cheapest fare this week?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Problem: I have a non-refundable ticket that is about to expire Friday. According to AA I have to book a ticket with travel commencing before Friday otherwise I lose the value of the entire ticket.

Solution (?): Can I book a one-way non-refundable ticket for travel this week and have the remaining value of the ticket issued as a voucher which can then be used up to a year from now?

Question 1: What is the lowest one-way fare AA is currently selling (I've looked on the east coast (JFK-BOS) and TX (DFW-AUS) and $127 seems like the lowest fare before Friday.

Question 2: Say I don't fly the JFK-BOS leg does that inactivate my voucher?

Thanks so much for your help with this!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nged-once.html
(Search terms: non refundable expire. This was the first of many threads that came up.)

For the general question part.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Allusha
Question 1: What is the lowest one-way fare AA is currently selling (I've looked on the east coast (JFK-BOS) and TX (DFW-AUS) and $127 seems like the lowest fare before Friday.
There's plenty of $59+ one way fares SFO-LAX for Friday.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Tom there is actually a $39 fare on Tuesday. I guess my question now is is the voucher in anyway affected if I don't travel on the LAX-SFO flight?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:41 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I booked a refundable ticket two weeks ago for this very reason. Processed it with the voucher about to expire and then transferred the balance into a new voucher with a new expiration date. AA makes it sooooo easy ...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TxLobo
I booked a refundable ticket two weeks ago for this very reason. Processed it with the voucher about to expire and then transferred the balance into a new voucher with a new expiration date. AA makes it sooooo easy ...
What about the refundable ticket then? Can you get refund to another voucher? Or the refundable ticket is tied to the date of the original voucher, thus it would not generate a new voucher when you cancel the refundable?

Last edited by Happy; Feb 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.