Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Standby on direct vs overnight connection

Return flight is (all the same ticket):

XXX-YYY @8pm, Day 1 -> Overnight
YYY-ZZZ @7am, Day 2 ->Early morning

Can you go standby for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1?
Can you get Confirmed Flight Change (confirmed standby) for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1 (and US$50 fee)?

Last edited by kazakie; Feb 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes, as long as xxx-yyy is the last flight in and yyy-zzz is the first flight out. If so, you have avoided a stopover, and a confirmed flight change (yes, $50) to route xxx-zzz should be possible.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, MR Gld, SPG Platinum
3Cforme is correct. Your ticket is for travel XXX-ZZZ on Day 1 (doesn't matter that you aren't scheduled to arrive until Day 2).

I myself did this a few months back. My original first flight was an 11:55pm redeye LAX-ORD.

I ended up hopping on the 9am LAX-ORD, then made my connection and got home well over 12 hours before my originally scheduled arrival time.

Naturally - if confirmed standby isn't available you run the risk of sitting at the airport for a long time until your original flight.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, as long as xxx-yyy is the last flight in and yyy-zzz is the first flight out. If so, you have avoided a stopover, and a confirmed flight change (yes, $50) to route xxx-zzz should be possible.
Does yyy-zzz have to be the first flight out? Say there is a 6am flight which is of a higher fare than 8am, so logically people will choose the 8am (time permitting).

I remember something specific on the fare rules that you can use to determine whether its considered a stopover or not. Does anyone remember what to look for?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kazakie

Return flight is (all the same ticket):

XXX-YYY @8pm, Day 1 -> Overnight
YYY-ZZZ @7am, Day 2 ->Early morning

Can you go standby for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1?
Can you get confirmed standby for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1 (and US$50 fee)?
Yes, and you can also standby for $0 if available.

I don't know why people refer to the $50 confimred change as "confirmed standby". AA doesn't call it that and there is no standing by.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Confirmed Change for => 3 legs & overnight to two legs same day?

Thanks for the clarity.

Here's another variation, all the same ticket:

BBB-CCC
CCC-DDD overnight
DDD-EEE next morning

Can you do one US$50 Confirmed Flight Change (or go standby) and get:
BBB-QQQ
QQQ-EEE
(all the same day)
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kazakie
BBB-CCC
CCC-DDD overnight
DDD-EEE next morning

Can you do one US$50 Confirmed Flight Change (or go standby) and get:
BBB-QQQ
QQQ-EEE
(all the same day)
I called AA, and they said as long as the origination and the destination are the same - regardless if there's an overnight or not - and there's availably then you can change it for US$50
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Does this hold for the domestic portion of an international ticket too?

Ticketed:
day 1: AAA-BBB-CCC
day 2: CCC-DDD
where AAA is a long haul international origin, and BBB-CCC and CCC-DDD are last flight in/first flight out domestic connections.

I want to standby for the direct BBB-DDD on day 1. Is this possible?

edited to add: I see that the fare rules say "Reservations are required for all sectors. Standby not permitted." How flexible are AA in reality about this issue regarding domestic portions of international tickets, and in particular at MIA either at the gate or the Admirals Club?

I'm happy to try my luck - Confirmed Flight Change would be nice, but free standby would be good too.

EF shows lots of availability for the flights in question -- I just can't choose the direct flight on day 1 from BBB-DDD without a huge price hike (probably married segments, I guess).

I won't have checked bags, if that helps.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 2, 2009 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Does anyone know the answer to this? Many thanks...

Originally Posted by salut0
Does this hold for the domestic portion of an international ticket too?

Ticketed:
day 1: AAA-BBB-CCC
day 2: CCC-DDD
where AAA is a long haul international origin, and BBB-CCC and CCC-DDD are last flight in/first flight out domestic connections.

I want to standby for the direct BBB-DDD on day 1. Is this possible?

edited to add: I see that the fare rules say "Reservations are required for all sectors. Standby not permitted." How flexible are AA in reality about this issue regarding domestic portions of international tickets, and in particular at MIA either at the gate or the Admirals Club?

I'm happy to try my luck - Confirmed Flight Change would be nice, but free standby would be good too.

EF shows lots of availability for the flights in question -- I just can't choose the direct flight on day 1 from BBB-DDD without a huge price hike (probably married segments, I guess).

I won't have checked bags, if that helps.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by salut0
Does anyone know the answer to this? Many thanks...
Inasmuch as it appears to be against the fare rules, it will depend on the specific agent you talk to on that day. As such, I'm not sure that any answers you get here (in the affirmative or negative) will have any bearing on what actually happens to you on that day, except that one side will end up being correct.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.