Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

QF Op Ups / Qantas Operational Upgrades for AA elites (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Op Ups / Qantas Operational Upgrades for AA elites (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by magic111
I guess the assasssains have been laid off in a cost cutting measure.

I was given a double op-up on Monday from row 47 in econ to 26 in business.
Complete bypass of premium econ on the SYD-SFO flight. The agent commented when checking in that I had received an OOU (oversold operational upgrade)
Qantas are currently not selling Premium Economy between SYD and SFO, so it was, in fact, a single Upgrade. (Y+ starts from early July)

It appears they may have subbed a 4 class 744 for a 2 class for your flight - still only selling Y and J. Row 26 is the first row of Coach on a 2-class configuration.

Seeing as I received an op-up lax-syd, for premium econ, will have to say that the system they use for op-ups seem to work like magic.
Quite, although op-ups on Qantas for status PAX seem to have become more common less rare this year:

Last edited by serfty; May 27, 2009 at 9:08 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
My 1st QF flight is coming up this week.

1.) I booked through AA.com on QF coded-flights, not AA-coded in Y (in the lowest fare class; O) on the 380 LAX to SYD this coming Sunday.
2.) Y is completely sold out. It's booked to or above authorization (i.e. severly overbooked)
3.) I have my AA Plat (aka 1W Sapphire) number in the res
4.) I dont have a seat assignment

What are my chances of an op-up?

Am I better off not trying to get a seat assignment as it would make me more prominent on the list of possible op-ups?
How do you know it is booked "to or above authorization"?
Since Y+ is not yet available on the route, then I put the odds at above 0, but a lot less than 1 percent, IF the flight really checks in oversold.
Now, if AA would start flying to Australia, you odds would be much better.
I remember years ago when I had to change the dates of a business class award on CO as they were stopping flights to Cairns. Your best bet for getting an op-up is to be an elite member of the carrier you are flying.

Seriously speaking, my biggest concern at this point wouldn't be the op-up, it would be a middle seat in the back row, since you mentioned you don't have an assigned seat.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Qantas are currently not selling Premium Economy between SYD and SFO, so it was, in fact a single Upgrade. (Y+ starts from early July)

It appears they may have subbed a 4 class 744 for a 2 class for your flight - still only selling Y and J. Row 26 is the first row of Coach on a 2-class configuration.

Quite, although op-ups on Qantas for status PAX seem to have become more common less rare this year:
As I said when we met in Cairns I enjoy your very informative posts.

I was wondering why expert flyer was not showing W0 or WC. You have answered my question before it can be asked ^
Old May 27, 2009, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Slight OT. Is there any difference in OP Ups for OW Emeralds depending on who you hold status with: for example BA Gold vice AA EXP?
Old May 27, 2009, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Slight OT. Is there any difference in OP Ups for OW Emeralds depending on who you hold status with: for example BA Gold vice AA EXP?
Not when flying QF
Old May 27, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: United 1MM
I've done the US-AUS route on Qantas a few times as an AA PLT, as well as other QF longhauls (MEL-SIN, SIN-LHR). I never once was OP-UP'd on any of them. I have been treated quite nicely by Qantas though with them coming to my seat and welcoming me (which was awkward as well with other non-OW-sapphire/emeralds sitting around me).

Similarly, I've flown some longhauls on BA and Cathay and never got OP-UP'd. Doesn't seem to happen on OW from my limited experience (was Gold for one year and PLT for 2 years). In total, 0 for 10 on OW partners as AA PLT.

I was twice OP-UP'd on AA longhauls. My OP-UP % on AA longhauls as PLT was quite high (50%), but is from a small sample set (2 OP-UPs out of 4), and both times were at very peak times (early Jan, and July).

Since I switched to *A as a United MP member and become 1P, and I've been OP-UP'd to business 3 times (once on Lufthansa once and SingAir twice) out of 24 longhaul segments (12.5%). I've had the exact same % on UA longhauls, going 2 for 16, all on AUS-US legs.

The reason I switched was simply because AA's change in mileage earning policy in 2004 for discount economy class fares. It was pitiful!
Old May 27, 2009, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briank1973

The reason I switched was simply because AA's change in mileage earning policy in 2004 for discount economy class fares. It was pitiful!
What change was this? I always get full miles on my TATL trips and some of them have been quite cheap.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by mvoight
What change was this? I always get full miles on my TATL trips and some of them have been quite cheap.
I think briank1973 is referring to Transpac routes on QF/CX in discounted economy that generates next to zero miles accural (EQM and RDM).
Old May 27, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1MM
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
I think briank1973 is referring to Transpac routes on QF/CX in discounted economy that generates next to zero miles accural (EQM and RDM).
Yes. QF and BA flights were getting very few EQM and RDM. After the change in 2003, I was getting (I think) 50% EQM and RDM for QF, and 25% for BA. It was appalling!

Check out: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ishAirways.jsp for BA

and http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...tasAirways.jsp for Qantas. You'll see exactly what I mean.

Before the change, I was getting 75% on QF and 100% on BA, which was acceptable to me and I was able to get to PLT with this. My biggest mileage accruals are TPAC to AUS and AUS-Europe, neither of which are AA routes.

Also, I flew once Cathay from FRA-HKG-MEL and I got ZERO miles (yes, that's right... ZERO, because anything below H in Cathay gives you ZERO on AA). That was the last time I flew OW except for Qantas domestic in Australia.

AA is GREAT if you only fly AA!! In that case, I prefer it over UA, no doubt!! However, if you fly the OW partners a lot and in low-fare tickets, AA is really really bad.
Old May 27, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, DL-SLV, JL-SAPPHIRE, Hyatt Diamond, *wood Gold
I was given a double op-up on Monday from row 47 in econ to 26 in business.

Seeing as I received an op-up lax-syd, for premium econ, will have to say that the system they use for op-ups seem to work like magic.
Same here. My wife and I were upgraded from coach class to row 25 in business class on Monday (SYD-SFO) although we were not lucky enough to receive an upgrade on LAX-SYD.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
I would expect the low low fares from the US to OZ (http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...t_cam=us:qf:15) is causing a surge in Y pax ... causing the opups for OW Emeralds.

Wow! If you are going to land on an opup, that is one of the best routes to land them on.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like I'll be flying in business SYD-SFO in about 90 minutes due to coach being oversold. Was also upgraded to premium economy LAX-SYD on the way out here two weeks ago

Tom in the restaurant having lunch at the Qantas F lounge at SYD, enjoying the Qantas experience
Old May 30, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
2 op-ups from Y to business with QF out of maybe 4 RTs between US and Australia. One was given in lounge, another at boarding. Only one op-up ever with CX, and never with BA.

Also been stung by zero miles on CX, when a mere $200 more on the fare would have netted them.
Old May 30, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by tsuruke
Same here. My wife and I were upgraded from coach class to row 25 in business class on Monday (SYD-SFO) although we were not lucky enough to receive an upgrade on LAX-SYD.
Per expertflyer, that flight went out completely full in all classes. I was also lucky enough to get the op-up on it, as was my seatmate. My seatmate was apparently not a frequent flier, but had recently flown that route on a paid business ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (2.6 Million Miles), Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, & Hertz Platinum
Upgraded to business on Qantas Flight # 11 SYD - LAX

Lucky me. Was booked in Premium Economy with a bulkhead window seat on the new A380.

They called for elite boarding in Sydney and sitting on the counter was about 20 boarding passes all in Coach.

Mixed in with the others was my new business class boarding pass. I could not believe that I was upgraded!

Flying business on the new A380 was wonderful. Tons of room.

The Qantas team did an excellent job and you could tell they enjoyed their new airplane.

The A380 was very quiet.

Sometimes you get lucky!

BTW - being Executive Platinum allowed me to have access to the Qantas First Class Lounge. Can you say Wow! Before breakfast, I had a 60 min massage in the spa. All services in the lounge were free, including spa treatments! By far one of the best lounge experiences I've had. Definitely worth the visit before your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.