buyAAmiles 30% bonus Feb & Mar 2009

Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

buyAAmiles 30% bonus Feb & Mar 2009

Per page 67 in the new February InsideFlyer mag, Feb 1 through Mar 31 for each 5000 miles you buy you'll get 1500 bonus miles. By my math that's a 30% bonus. It says details will be at www.aa.com/buyAAmiles, but it's not mentioned there yet (and it's one day before Feb 1 as I write this!).
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, LH SEN
Great finding
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Great indeed! Thank you! …If you're planning to buy miles, it's not going to get better than this. Agreed?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Great indeed! Thank you! …If you're planning to buy miles, it's not going to get better than this. Agreed?
I believe I heard the same sentiment a month or two ago, when it was a 20% bonus.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:16 pm
In memoriam

This is interesting. Will probably bring the cost down to around 2 cents a mile. Not a bad deal if you need the miles. If not urgent, probably not that great an idea. Don't forget taxes and service charge. (I think they add up to around $85 on a $1,000 purchase.)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by gemac
I believe I heard the same sentiment a month or two ago, when it was a 20% bonus.
Maybe, but not from me. The 20% bonus seems to be a regular thing the past few years. I haven't seen 30% before. ^^
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Per page 67 in the new February InsideFlyer mag, Feb 1 through Mar 31 for each 5000 miles you buy you'll get 1500 bonus miles. By my math that's a 30% bonus. It says details will be at www.aa.com/buyAAmiles, but it's not mentioned there yet (and it's one day before Feb 1 as I write this!).
From the link and assumed that it was a 30% bonus, I still don't think it is a good deal (MHO). Say I buy 20,000 miles for $500. With the bonus, my total miles is 26,000. If you need miles for current use (when fares are generally low now), it does not make much sense to buy even with the 30% bonus. However, if you are just a bit short in miles for an immanent award travel, then the bonus is added bene.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by allset2travel
From the link and assumed that it was a 30% bonus, I still don't think it is a good deal (MHO). .
As always with valuing miles depends on your usage patterns. If you mostly use them for coach flights, 2c is probably not great. If you tend to use them for J or F tix, you usually get better than 2cpm value. Also helps those working towards life gold/plat
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2 MM, Marriott Titanium, Admirals Club, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum
30 per cent bonus on purchased AA miles

There is a bonus of 30% on purchased AA miles starting today. I don't believe anyone has started a thread on this. I haven't seen a bonus for purchase at this level for a while. Bonus paid 6 to 8 weeks after the promotion ends.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldvolvo
I don't believe anyone has started a thread on this.
You need to question your beliefs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2009-a.html
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2 MM, Marriott Titanium, Admirals Club, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum
I was only looking at today's posts. i was surprised no one had mentioned it. I'll delete it in a minute if I can figure out how.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update:

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It says details will be at www.aa.com/buyAAmiles, but it's not mentioned there yet (and it's one day before Feb 1 as I write this!).
Well, now on Feb 1 it actualy mentions it there, but only if you click through to the "buy miles now" link, which leads to:

https://buy.points.com/AAdvantage/in...A09landingpage
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
deleted - thread merged while I was posting.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
As always with valuing miles depends on your usage patterns. If you mostly use them for coach flights, 2c is probably not great. If you tend to use them for J or F tix, you usually get better than 2cpm value. Also helps those working towards life gold/plat
Indeed. I'm pretty close to my 1 million milestone and don't have any travel planned for a couple of months. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some changes (for the worse!) to the rules on these things in the near future and am very tempted to jump onto this offer.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Interestingly, the annual purchase cap has been lowered back to 40,000 miles per year, and the bonus is capped at 12,000 miles. It seems odd to me that they'd increase the bonus offer while at the same time lower the annual purchase cap from 60,000 to 40,000 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.