Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:33 am

I have a couple of questions regarding this (these) newly configured 757's.

1). Any word if AA will be doing the entire 757 fleet or is AA creating a "subfleet" similar to what they did with the DC-10's on the Hawaiian routes years ago?

2). The "new" first class configuration will apparently be 16 seats. With that said, any ideas, rumors as to what type of first class seats are going to be installed, pitch, recline, IFE, etc? Everyone else is talking about coach. I have not seen anything regarding the first class seats.

Just curious.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:40 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bishope2

1). Any word if AA will be doing the entire 757 fleet or is AA creating a "subfleet" similar to what they did with the DC-10's on the Hawaiian routes years ago?

2). The "new" first class configuration will apparently be 16 seats. With that said, any ideas, rumors as to what type of first class seats are going to be installed, pitch, recline, IFE, etc? Everyone else is talking about coach. I have not seen anything regarding the first class seats.

Just curious.
The seats are the NGBC seats cound in F/J on the 763 and J on the 777.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:55 am

Just curious.
Answer to #1- subfleet of 18 aircraft
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Skyman65
WOW! A bi-fold lav door! I've certainly never seen one of THOSE before!

I'm so used to the old lav configuration with the French doors, I hope I hope I won't have any trouble figuring out these new-fangled bi-fold doors!

I thought the same thing.... who hasn't had those doors forever? It's always fun watching people try to figure out how to open them. I personally was hoping for little Star Trek doors that would make that "whoosh" sound when opening... maybe on the next retrofit....
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't believe it's a typo. The union fought for 144 and got their way. This will also allow the plane to be used on flights over 8 hours, because it will allow for crew rest.
Uhh, no. It is a typo. AA didn't remove 22 coach seats to satisfy the FAs.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:20 am

Yes.

Assuming the union story is true, I would assume they would install a pair of crew rest seats in the forward area, like on the 763. Though I've been hearing conflicting stories as to what the deal is with the configuration. There doesn't seem to be a straight answer. We'll know soon enough.

The rest of the extra space will benefit Y passengers in leg room. As I mentioned earlier, I have been told the new 75Ls are supposedly going to have very generous Y pitch. Though we'll know for sure in a few days.

Regardless of whether it is 144Y or 166Y, the Y pitch will be increased thanks to the new seat design.
We have our answer: the plane has been loaded on DFW-JFK. It's 166Y.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Legroom is not being reduced. In fact, the 75L will probably have the most generous Y pitch in AA's fleet because the new seats are so slim they take up much less space.
Sorry, I don't believe this. If the new config is 166Y, making the already thin seats (with negative back support) thinner, I can't see any way that articulated seats will give more leg room.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Sorry, I don't believe this. If the new config is 166Y, making the already thin seats (with negative back support) thinner, I can't see any way that articulated seats will give more leg room.
I don't see how you don't believe this.

The new seats are slim-line seats and the Y cabin is identical in capacity - 166Y - and occupies the same exact area as the on the domestic 757s. Seat pitch is more generous.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
I don't see how you don't believe this.

The new seats are slim-line seats and the Y cabin is identical in capacity - 166Y - and occupies the same exact area as the on the domestic 757s. Seat pitch is more generous.
Don't you actually mean "physical legroom is more generous using the same seat pitch"?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by passinginterest
Don't you actually mean "physical legroom is more generous using the same seat pitch"?
I agree. MAH4546 is confusing actual seat pitch with "effective seat pitch." The actual seat pitch will remain the same at 32" yet the effective seat pitch (perceived legroom) will seem slightly greater since the seatbacks will be razor-thin. But there's still only 32" between the non-soft portions of each seat (like the attachment points).
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
We have our answer: the plane has been loaded on DFW-JFK. It's 166Y.
what dates? i didnt see in early feb when i am flying the route - just a mad dog
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
what dates? i didnt see in early feb when i am flying the route - just a mad dog
I dont see dates in the near future as well, but I do see some later on.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
I dont see dates in the near future as well, but I do see some later on.
07APR
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:40 am

Thanks for the replies. It is too bad that AA will have this "subfleet" of 757's instead of doing their whole fleet. Will type of routes will these planes be used on? (i.e. cross country, international, Hawaii, etc)

As for the seats, I am alittle surprised they are using the NGBC on the 757's. I am curious as to how wide the aisle will be. I know that the 767's are alittle tight but workable. I guess time will tell.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the replies. It is too bad that AA will have this "subfleet" of 757's instead of doing their whole fleet. Will type of routes will these planes be used on? (i.e. cross country, international, Hawaii, etc)

As for the seats, I am alittle surprised they are using the NGBC on the 757's. I am curious as to how wide the aisle will be. I know that the 767's are alittle tight but workable. I guess time will tell.
Actually the 757s provide more room for the seats. Remember that on a 757 you are only trying to put 4 premium seats in the same width as 6 coach seats. On the 767 its 6 seats in the place of only 7 coach seats. Thats why the 767 NBGC seats are narrow compared to even domestic First seats on the 757 or 737 (not sure about a Mad Dog comparison).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.