Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

What are FEBO / ELFORB? Are they applied as rules or suggestions? (consolidated)

Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

THIS THREAD IS ARCHIVED, as FEBO is now only of historical interest, as FEBO has been superseded. Please see

New meal order system by flight direction & time zone - no FEBO (Sep '14)

The general rule of thumb for how meal orders are taken WAS:
  • FEBO: Front Even, Back Odd
    • Used on single aisle aircraft in the premium cabins
    • Used on two aisle aircraft in the premium cabins when orders are taken by two FAs simultaneously
  • ELFORB: Even Left Front, Odd Right Back
    • Used on two aisle aircraft in the premium cabins when orders are taken by just one FA

This thread is dedicated to questions about the FEBO and ELFORB rules, when they are applied, and how strict they are.
Additional information can also be found on the AA Food and Beverage FlyerGuide Wiki page.

Note that this thread is a consolidation of a couple of different threads, so some posts may be interleaved.

~AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

What are FEBO / ELFORB? Are they applied as rules or suggestions? (consolidated)

Old May 16, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
YOu should have FEBO, but as indicated, no written guarantee.

My own 90+ segment a year experience substantiates what was stated - it takes place over 90% of the time.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As it says on the tin, does it actually happen most of the time?

Or is it crew dependent?

I have just booked a TP (milage type affair) run with 5 sectors and looking at my seat selection...

Thanks,
Pretty much, yeah...it actually happens most of the time and it is crew dependent...

cheers!
Old May 16, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Thumper
YOu should have FEBO, but as indicated, no written guarantee.

My own 90+ segment a year experience substantiates what was stated - it takes place over 90% of the time.
^ my experience too. If I am traveling for work it never bothers me that much if a menu choice runs out before I am served. I can find something to eat on the tray. No big deal. Now for leisure travel we are more strategic as my SO has a food allergy, so we always pick seats in the middle of the F/J cabin hoping that we will still get a choice whether they start from front or back. So far, it has always worked and we have never been stuck with an option that is a problem.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
BBB, I've flown 34 meal flights this year and FEBO was followed on every one.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Thumper, AAir_head, davesam12 and SFO777,

Thank you for your replies. I have gone for seats nearer the start of the service end, but not the first row...

No doubt I will share my trip report of my SFO-ORD-MIA-MGA-MIA-SFO trip later in the year.

Best Regards,
Old May 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
On a recent SFO-MIA 763, the FA's followed FEBO for the Entree, but when it came to the desert, one FA went Front to Back in the A-D side, then Back to Front on the E-J side, and when it got to me in 4J they had run out of the cheese/cracker... DOH!.

BM
Old May 16, 2010, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
On a recent SFO-MIA 763, the FA's followed FEBO for the Entree, but when it came to the desert, one FA went Front to Back in the A-D side, then Back to Front on the E-J side, and when it got to me in 4J they had run out of the cheese/cracker... DOH!.

BM
Had the exact same thing happen to me about a month ago MIA-SFO on the same equipment, although I'm a sundae junkie and was not left disappointed.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by burtonmadness

BM
FEBO is the policy for the first service entreee orders. I've never seen it done for desserts or a follow on meal service on international flights.

The only times people don't usually do it is if there are enough meal choices to go around, there are enough empty seats in the cabin to make the choices even, or the person working the premium cabin never works up there and has no clue about FEBO. You'd all be surprised how many FAs that make up the latter group exist.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Doghound
Why don't you inform the FAs before take off that you are a vegetarian? That should help guarantee an available meal for you, me thinks.
Why should informing the FA's before hand get someone a meal that can not be reserved? The ordering should be done by FEBO, not because some claims to be vegetarian or a meatatarian.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note that according to a long time FT member FA, "FEBO" os AA Policy and the process is noted in the FA's reference handbook as "Preferences".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post5256156
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post5503535
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post6487278

(Mention of "FEBO" to an A FA may get one a strange look.)

Last edited by serfty; May 17, 2010 at 1:08 am
Old May 17, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why should informing the FA's before hand get someone a meal that can not be reserved? The ordering should be done by FEBO, not because some claims to be vegetarian or a meatatarian.
Agree. It shouldn't make a difference whether one is a lifelong meatlesstarian or just one after they hear the meal options.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
From my experiences only, FEBO is highly inconsistent on international flights. You got lucky that they offered you a meal from F!

Mike
Agree. I only got one meal from F once. I fly economy only may have something to do with it.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Note that according to a long time FT member FA, "FEBO" os AA Policy and the process is noted in the FA's reference handbook as "Preferences".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post5256156
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post5503535
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es#post6487278

(Mention of "FEBO" to an A FA may get one a strange look.)
I think what we're seeing is a symptom of AA's largest problem of being really bad at managing its workforce (and their unions).

AA is allowing the ~10% or so unprofessional FAs who provide nonstandard sub-par service to keep their job instead of being home collecting unemployment, all the while fully-trained FAs are at home on furlough and would love to provide professional service.

AA needs to take ownership of the broader front-line labor-management problem.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How many of X vs Y meals are typically on a flight? Last 2-4 seats dont get a choice if everyone else orders the more popular dish?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Had it happen on a DFW-PIT flight last week. Even number flight and the FA started food service from the back. Luckily, she had both options when she got to me but I did ask her why she started from the back when it was an even number flight? Her answer: "It depends . . ."

I left it alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.