Duplicate charge for checked baggage

Old Jan 22, 09, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate charge for checked baggage

So on my last AA flight, I checked in 2 bags and I got charged $15, $15, and $25 on my credit card. I remember the agent swiped my card twice, saying the first time it did not work.

I've called AA and they weren't able to help me.

Any ideas on a different phone number I can call?

Thanks,
-James
Old Jan 22, 09, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Dispute the charge at your bank/cc company?
Old Jan 22, 09, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
This is one of the few times that I have seen this put forward that I would agree.

One thing to check though is whether they have actually debited $15 twice or whether they have 2 $15 holds of which one will drop off. If the latter, then just wait a few days and see whether it disappears

Dave
Old Jan 23, 09, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
One thing to check though is whether they have actually debited $15 twice or whether they have 2 $15 holds of which one will drop off. If the latter, then just wait a few days and see whether it disappears

Dave
Why on earth would there be a hold? I thought holds were used when the final transaction amount is not known at initial card approval time, like prepay gas, restaurants where you may tip, hotel incidentals, etc.

Does AA expect you to tip the gate agent on top of the bag charge?
Old Jan 23, 09, 9:58 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by swag View Post

I don't think it's AA's expectation at all. It's a question of whether one wants to penalize the employee (who has helped with lifting bags) for the policy of the employer, a policy that the employee has no say about. It's not AA's expectation; it's a personal decision.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 09, 10:09 am

You could try the # for AA baggage services - 1-800-535-5225. The primary function is for lost/delayed baggage, but maybe they could help, especially if you still have the two baggage claim checks with the #s.
Meanwhile, I would definitely dispute the dupe charge with my CC company. AA won't be able to come up with a third baggage claim #, so what grounds would they have to charge it back?
Old Jan 23, 09, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swag View Post
Why on earth would there be a hold? I thought holds were used when the final transaction amount is not known at initial card approval time, like prepay gas, restaurants where you may tip, hotel incidentals, etc.

A hold is placed on the Card as soon as an authorisation code is acquired. If the merchant does not submit the charge within a specified timeframe then the hold is released

If, for example, the 1st attempt partly went through, it may well have taken an authorisation and when the 2nd attempt took place another authorisation was taken. If AA only submits, as they should, the 1 charge for $15, then the other will just drop off in a few days

If they did actually submit 2 charges to the card company, then a dispute with the card company would be in order if AA will not deal with the issue

Dave
Old Jan 23, 09, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
This clearly is the right answer in this circumstance. No reason to waste your time calling AA again. Your credit card issuer will (1) ask you if you've attempted to contact the merchant (to which you truthfully will answer yes), (2) open an investigation, which will involve notifying AA of the disputed amount and giving AA the opportunity to demonstrate that it was correct, and (3) post a provisional credit to your account, pending AA's response.
Old Jan 23, 09, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by worth View Post
So on my last AA flight, I checked in 2 bags and I got charged $15, $15, and $25 on my credit card. I remember the agent swiped my card twice, saying the first time it did not work.

I've called AA and they weren't able to help me.

Any ideas on a different phone number I can call?

Thanks,
-James
If the amount is held on your card, there is little you can do to speed the process, as AA probably indicated. In reality, it is probably difficult to track down and process an incorrect authorization.
Presumbly they could issue you a credit, but really should do so unless there is an actual charge.
If there is actually a charge then disputing it with your cc company would be the path to take. You CC company can tell you how long the hold will remain.

Search this Thread