Late for flight from LHR?

Old Jan 19, 09, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXPLT, BD: SILVER, GOLDPOINTS+: SILVER, MARRIOTT: SILVER, ICH: RA
Late for flight from LHR?

We are booked onto AA47 from LHR-ORD using EVIPs into J tomorrow. We are booked on BD to LHR from DUB, however the weather is bad today and predicted bad tomorrow. There is no AA service from DUB tomorrow so we had to book seperate tickets.

If there was a long delay on our DUB-LHR flight and we missed the ORD flight what is AA likely to do? ie Put us on the next flight, make us buy new tickets etc?
Old Jan 19, 09, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by circusboy View Post
We are booked onto AA47 from LHR-ORD using EVIPs into J tomorrow. We are booked on BD to LHR from DUB, however the weather is bad today and predicted bad tomorrow. There is no AA service from DUB tomorrow so we had to book seperate tickets.

If there was a long delay on our DUB-LHR flight and we missed the ORD flight what is AA likely to do? ie Put us on the next flight, make us buy new tickets etc?
Was it not possible to buy this on a single ticket, even with different carriers?
That would be the best way to do this.

I suspect AA would let you go standby on the next day's flight.
The alternative would be to having to pay the change fee and additional fare cost. THis assumes you didn't buy a freely changeable ticket. Other rules of the fare purchased might also affect this.
Old Jan 19, 09, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Was it not possible to buy this on a single ticket, even with different carriers?
That would be the best way to do this.

I suspect AA would let you go standby on the next day's flight.
The alternative would be to having to pay the change fee and additional fare cost. THis assumes you didn't buy a freely changeable ticket. Other rules of the fare purchased might also affect this.
I tried to buy a single ticket, called the Irish number and was told the only option was to travel the next day. It seemed to me that the call went to a Spanish call centre as have all my calls of late, instead of London.
Old Jan 19, 09, 4:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically AA would try to accomodate you on the next flight - in this case it's AA91 which departs in the 16:30ish timeframe. AA47 is the 14:15 departure.
Old Jan 19, 09, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Typically AA would try to accomodate you on the next flight - in this case it's AA91 which departs in the 16:30ish timeframe. AA47 is the 14:15 departure.
Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear. I don't think we are going tohave any problems though, the weather is forecasted as not too bad for tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 19, 09, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
What do you base that on?

These are two separate tickets, on a non-OWairline.This is no different than the OP missing his flight for personal reasons, overslept or othewise. I would not count on AA doing anything for you. They are certainly not required to let the OP go stand by.The eVIP is most likely lost, unless there is C class available on that next flight and the agents are very, very accommodating, but the OP has no rights in respect to AA if BD gets him late to LHR, no matter what the reason.
Old Jan 19, 09, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
however the weather is bad today and predicted bad tomorrow.
the weather is forecasted as not too bad for tomorrow.
Has the forecast changed, or merely your interpretation of it?

Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
What do you base that on?

These are two separate tickets, on a non-OWairline.This is no different than the OP missing his flight for personal reasons, overslept or othewise. I would not count on AA doing anything for you. They are certainly not required to let the OP go stand by.
Hope I'm not putting words in HNL's mouth, but I don't believe he said (or even implied) that AA was required to do anything. He only said that they probably would try to accomodate the OP. IMO his prediction is a good one. While AA is not required to assist in these situations, it's been my experience that they generally do.

Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
The eVIP is most likely lost, unless there is C class available on that next flight and the agents are very, very accommodating, but the OP has no rights in respect to AA if BD gets him late to LHR, no matter what the reason.
I'm not sure what would happen to the eVIP, but if it were me I would at least attempt to get it back. As for rights, you are correct. The OP has no rights in respect to AA if he arrives late, he would certainly be at their mercy.
Old Jan 19, 09, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
AA in lhr have often been sticklers for charging change fees and not allowing standby on anything but full fare tickets. In my experience they've not let me go on the next flight for free whfn we were stuck in traffic for 1.5hrs to lhr when this would easily have qualified for the flat tire rule stateside. Not sure if weather and late arriving separate ticket connection changes things for them. Good luck. Hope it works out but don't expect aa at lhr to be helpful.
Old Jan 19, 09, 8:12 pm

Programs: Ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond, ex-SPG Ambassador. Happy to be grounded after 5 years in the air
Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
AA in lhr have often been sticklers for charging change fees and not allowing standby on anything but full fare tickets. In my experience they've not let me go on the next flight for free whfn we were stuck in traffic for 1.5hrs to lhr when this would easily have qualified for the flat tire rule stateside. Not sure if weather and late arriving separate ticket connection changes things for them. Good luck. Hope it works out but don't expect aa at lhr to be helpful.
I have heard/experienced this same thing at LHR, and with the Euro call centers.

If it looks like your flight is definitely going to be late, OP's best bet (IMHO) is to call the stateside call center (EXP desk in OP's case) as soon as OP able to determine that they will miss the flight (i.e., while waiting at the terminal in DUB). Explain the situation, say that you are likely to miss the flight, and ask if they can do anything over the phone. One of my colleagues was recently in OP's situation, and while he was not EXP he managed to get results by calling the regular service desk.

I'm not EXP so I don't know how to access the EXP desk overseas. My general MO for accessing stateside assistance (i.e., the US call desk which normally has only an 800 number) has been to use my laptop and Skype, which offers free calls to US 800 numbers from anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 20, 09, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you know everything turned out fine. We arrived at DUB early and managed to get on the first flight out. I did check on EF and the flight we were supposed to take arrived in LHR early. Murphys law!

Search this Thread