Award Tix + Paid Travel on BA?

Old Jan 19, 09, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
Award Tix + Paid Travel on BA?

Thanks to all for the always helpful info here. I have kind of an unusual question. I thought I'd post here because it involves using AA miles

Due to schedule constraints and rule constraints, I am planning a trip from LAX to BOM that involves a combination of award travel and paid travel.

The plan is to purchase the LAX-LHR leg, on BA in economy, then use miles for a J award between LHR & BOM.

Are there any special considerations that I should be aware of? I plan to ask them to link the record locators but wasn't sure if there was anything else to be aware of.

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 09, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by MMB568 View Post
Thanks to all for the always helpful info here. I have kind of an unusual question. I thought I'd post here because it involves using AA miles

Due to schedule constraints and rule constraints, I am planning a trip from LAX to BOM that involves a combination of award travel and paid travel.

The plan is to purchase the LAX-LHR leg, on BA in economy, then use miles for a J award between LHR & BOM.

Are there any special considerations that I should be aware of? I plan to ask them to link the record locators but wasn't sure if there was anything else to be aware of.

Thanks.

Hi,

You will not get any AA miles for the paid BA flight LAX-LHR and vice versa ( transatlantic mileage restriction). Being an AA plat you will be able to use the BA CLub World ( business) check in at LAX and the OW Business lounge at LAX TBIT prior to LAX-LHR

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 19, 09, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

AA has a LAX-LHR non-stop flight. If you can change your flight around, you'll be able to get AA miles.

David
Old Jan 19, 09, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that but I guess I should have been more specific.

I know about the non-stop LAX-LHR flight and in fact took it the last time I did this route back in October. However, AA 136 arrives at 12:25 pm, missing the 11:00AM BA flight to BOM. You then have to wait for the 9:30PM flight. By taking the BA flight, one can arrive at 09:30 and make the earlier flight, saving a bunch of time.

Main issue is that the flight would be for my dad, not an AA Plat member like me, so for him, he'd rather have the shorter journey. I was just wondering if there was anything to be aware of (other than no miles!) in the combination of award + paid travel. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jan 19, 09, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA GLD - 1MM, BAEC SLV, SPG GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Did the same thing. Flew LAX-JFK-LHR on AA paid ticket then LHR-DEL on BA award ticket.

All I did is when I got to the counter at LAX told the AAgent that I want my bags to be tag'd all the way to DEL. And all was ok.

I would assume with BA that would be the same situation.
Old Jan 19, 09, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Similar to the above, I did RDU-LHR (paid) and LHR-CPH (award). In addition to checking my bag through to CPH, the AAgents at RDU were even able to check me in and issue my BP for the BA flight, which was very nice.
Old Jan 19, 09, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

So it sounds like it's pretty easy and there aren't any real pitfalls to be aware of. I'm especially glad to hear that its pretty easy to check thru bags and so forth.

Thanks to all for the info.

Search this Thread