Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby on AA Codeshare operated by Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Standby on AA Codeshare operated by Alaska?

Hello my friends,
I am on a flight from PDX-LAX that is a codeshare on American Airlines operated by Alaska Airlines. I was hoping that one could inform me what my options will be for standing by for an earlier flight at my point of origin, PDX. Many thanks for your help.
Rupesh
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Since it's AS-operated, AS rules apply. You may have better luck on the AS board with this question.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Agree with the above AS rules will apply. Good luck.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Also, since AS flights earn EQM/EQP/segments, you shouldn't need to worry if the earlier flight is not an AA codeshare.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, DL PM
Any recent experiences with this?

Flying SEA-LAX on an AA codeshare operated by AS.

AS reservations says that the itinerary would be ineligible for a same-day confirmed flight change because, as the ticket was issued by AA, it can only be changed/reissued by AA.

(Of course, standby is no longer possible for those lacking MVP Gold status and traveling on inflexible fares.)

Last edited by G.RAES; Sep 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm Reason: Bad grammar.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by G.RAES
Flying SEA-LAX on an AA codeshare operated by AS.

AS reservations says that the itinerary would be ineligible for a same-day confirmed flight change because, as the ticket was issued by AA, it can only be changed/reissued by AA.

(Of course, standby is no longer possible for those lacking MVP Gold status and traveling on inflexible fares.)
I flew AS (AS flight numbers on AA ticket stock, issued by a travel agent) in June (just before AS stopped allowing non-elites to standby). I tried to do same day confirmed over the phone and through the AS web site at check in and was not allowed to because the ticket was on AA ticket stock. (I tried calling AS twice less than 12 hours before departure and got the same answer from both agents.) I did, however, get on an earlier flight by stand by at the airport.

You could try to pay the fee at the airport, since they won't let you stand by anymore.

ETA: the second phone agent I spoke to specifically said that they can't do same day confirmed over the phone at all; you can only do it if offered at online check in, which I wasn't.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
My experience (last week):
  • Can't do it in advance over the phone
  • $25 fee at the airport, but it's a confirmed seat
  • The RULES say you can't do it at the gate (since sometime this summer), but after paying my $25, I stood by and watched a GA allow a passenger to standby for free. YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ldpeters
  • The RULES say you can't do it at the gate (since sometime this summer), but after paying my $25, I stood by and watched a GA allow a passenger to standby for free. YMMV.
May have been an MVPG or IRROPS-disrupted passenger, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.