FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   seat assignment changed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/911857-seat-assignment-changed.html)

joeydolan Jan 18, 2009 8:10 pm

seat assignment changed

I just logged into AA and noticed my seat assignments for my next 4 flights changed. 3 days ago I had 9E on all for flights over the next month and they all changed to 17F. They appear to be the same model 757 that I book it for. I know sometimes they will change a seat assignment, any ideas why all my seat assignments would change? I books these reservations about 3 weeks ago. I called AA and they said I never had 9E on any of the flights.

Pedro M Jan 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by joeydolan (Post 11100439)
I just logged into AA and noticed my seat assignments for my next 4 flights changed. 3 days ago I had 9E on all for flights over the next month and they all changed to 17F. They appear to be the same model 757 that I book it for. I know sometimes they will change a seat assignment, any ideas why all my seat assignments would change? I books these reservations about 3 weeks ago. I called AA and they said I never had 9E on any of the flights.

Did you buy the ticket through a travel agent? Maybe they looked at your seat assignment and thought they did you a favor by putting you in an exit row.

mvoight Jan 19, 2009 12:02 am

Originally Posted by joeydolan (Post 11100439)

Do you have emails from aa confirming 9E or did you not book on aa.com?

PanAmFT Jan 20, 2009 10:43 am

Are you simply asking for a possible explanation? Or is the real issue that you tried to change your seats back, and they're gone? Or that you're non-status and can't get any exit row seat other than the one you've got?

Regardless of how the ticket was purchased, you should be able to pull up the reservation and re-select your seats. You don't have to guess on the equipment - it shows for each segment above the seat map, and the exit rows are marked. If you're elite, these are 757's, and 9E/9B are gone, I'd pick a seat in row 10 or 18 over 17 any day.

If you have no status, you can't do much but try for a better exit row seat at the airport. Though if you want to sleep on any flight, you may want to move to a regular row window seat if/while they're open. 17F has extra legroom, but it doesn't recline.

Only reason I can think of for seat changes on multiple trips/flights are equipment changes on all, or that all PNR's were separated after a non-status pax originally booked them all with an elite.

aamilesslave Jan 20, 2009 11:17 am

Equipment changes may not be obvious, either. It is not at all uncommon for equipment changes to switch to a different aircraft type and then switch back to the original equipment. This can result in a seat shuffle for no apparent reason.

AMA Jan 20, 2009 10:35 pm

one more reason to either print the reservation immediately after paying for it, or at least do a screen grab(via ALt-PrtSc buttone) and paste it into an MS Word type document for later retrieval.

Can't afford to believe that anything -on- the web will -stay- on the web indefinitely, especially easy to wipe out/change seating reservations.

travelismylife Jan 29, 2009 4:27 am

Changed my seat

I am on a three segment rt ticket and I just logged into aa and I see that they change one of the seats. I was sitting in 3b and they switched me to 3h (762). I know seats aren't guaranteed but I have no idea why they'd change it a month out, if the flight didn't change at all- I'd like my seat back. Waiting to call, first I want to find out if anyone had had luck getting their original seat assignment back when it was changed by aa- what to say. Thanks.

bdemaria Jan 29, 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by travelismylife (Post 11162547)
I am on a three segment rt ticket and I just logged into aa and I see that they change one of the seats. I was sitting in 3b and they switched me to 3h (762). I know seats aren't guaranteed but I have no idea why they'd change it a month out, if the flight didn't change at all- I'd like my seat back. Waiting to call, first I want to find out if anyone had had luck getting their original seat assignment back when it was changed by aa- what to say. Thanks.

Getting bumped from 3B usually means you've been FAM'd and there is no way to get that seat back. However, I'm not sure they would make a FAM seat assignment a month out.

mlgagne Jan 29, 2009 6:34 am

Originally Posted by travelismylife (Post 11162547)

Why on earth are you waiting to call?????

travelismylife Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm

No luck

I was waiting to call, to see if people had any tips on what to say to get my seat back. Well, I tried and nobody could help me or knows why they moved me and as we all know "seat assignments are not guaranteed" blah blah blah (that's the phrase I heard over and over). It's just more convenient for me (and others) as my computer plug is on the left and sometimes juts into the aisle.

Good Guy Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 11162811)
Getting bumped from 3B usually means you've been FAM'd and there is no way to get that seat back. However, I'm not sure they would make a FAM seat assignment a month out.

The guys (FAM's) I know normally get their schedules a month out.