JFK T4 (International) Security Line

Old Jan 18, 09, 12:39 am
Original Poster

JFK T4 (International) Security Line

A few weeks ago, I was traveling on an AA codeshare from JFK-AMM on RJ metal in Y. As an AA Plat, I assumed that I was entitled to use the J security line at the terminal (it's for both J and F), particularly because I was ticketed on an AA flight number, but when I went to do so, the TSA agent turned me away. I showed her my AA Platinum card and that my boarding pass was marked "Sapphire" but was still turned away, being told that it "doesn't work that way in this terminal" and that I could only use the line if I was holding a J or F boarding pass.

Not being in a rush and not wanting to make a stink about it, I went ahead and moved to the other line.

I'd like to call AA and complain about this, but before doing so, I wanted to make sure that I'm rightfully annoyed. As far as I could tell based on the OW policies, I should have been able to use the J security line since I'm entitled to use the J check-in line:

AAdvantage Platinum® members will be entitled to the following benefits across the oneworld network:

* Priority check-in at Business Class check-in desks (where available), regardless of the class of service flown.

Found a real old thread semi-related to this topic from many years back, having to do with check-in lines and not security lines, hence the new topic.
Old Jan 18, 09, 4:28 am
Suspended

T4 is not a OW terminal, but the general International terminal at JFK and is in fact operated by the same operator that operates AMS. The security lines are generic for all airlines as they have multiple carriers so in my recollection - it has been about six months since I went through T4 the priority lane is restricted to just passengers traveling in F and J and not other elites traveling in Y for the airlines flying there. At BA T7 and AA T8 you would have had access.

The priority security is enforced unevenly anyway. At the old T1 Flight Connections center at LHR there was a priority lane for BA F, J Gold and Silver fliers. OW elites in Y could not use it.
Old Jan 18, 09, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by wooblewobble View Post
A few weeks ago, I was traveling on an AA codeshare from JFK-AMM on RJ metal in Y. As an AA Plat, I assumed that I was entitled to use the J security line at the terminal (it's for both J and F), particularly because I was ticketed on an AA flight number, but when I went to do so, the TSA agent turned me away. I showed her my AA Platinum card and that my boarding pass was marked "Sapphire" but was still turned away, being told that it "doesn't work that way in this terminal" and that I could only use the line if I was holding a J or F boarding pass.

Not being in a rush and not wanting to make a stink about it, I went ahead and moved to the other line.

I'd like to call AA and complain about this, but before doing so, I wanted to make sure that I'm rightfully annoyed. As far as I could tell based on the OW policies, I should have been able to use the J security line since I'm entitled to use the J check-in line:

AAdvantage Platinum® members will be entitled to the following benefits across the oneworld network:

* Priority check-in at Business Class check-in desks (where available), regardless of the class of service flown.

Found a real old thread semi-related to this topic from years back, having to do with check-in lines and not security lines, hence the new topic.
You have no grounds to complain to AA as access to elite security lines is not a published OneWorld benefit (just access to the business class check-in lines as you mentioned).

I have never used JFK T4 so don't know what the particular policy is there but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with AA. Each airport has a different policy - in some cases (eg LHR T3), the elite line is reserved for those passengers ticketed in F/J and your elite status alone will not get you access.
Old Jan 18, 09, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As britenbsas said above, F/J check-in based on your OW status does not equal access to F/J security lines...that varies by airport & terminal.

The most constructive thing you could do, if you really want to talk with AA about this, is write them not to complain, but suggest that as an added benefit the oneworld airlines should work with JFK T4 to allow OW elites access to the F/J security line.

For example, in 2007 here in Europe SAS negotiated with LHR to allow us EBGs (*G) access to the fast track security lines in T3. They published it in the monthly newsletter as a new add'l perk.
Old Jan 18, 09, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input. I guess my "full F/J privileges minus the seat itself" assumption was incorrect (the person at the RJ counter in T4 had no problem giving me a pass to the Oasis lounge upon check-in, for example). Understanding that the security checkpoint staff have nothing to do with the airlines, I will give AA a call, and politely make the suggestion.
Old Jan 19, 09, 1:05 am
Suspended

Thanks all for the input. I guess my "full F/J privileges minus the seat itself" assumption was incorrect (the person at the RJ counter in T4 had no problem giving me a pass to the Oasis lounge upon check-in, for example). Understanding that the security checkpoint staff have nothing to do with the airlines, I will give AA a call, and politely make the suggestion.
Actually RJ didn't need to provide you lounge access if Oasis was a third party lounge. There are many stations around the world where the priority security is only for pax traveling in premium cabins, and does not include pax with status in Y.
Old Jan 19, 09, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
Actually RJ didn't need to provide you lounge access if Oasis was a third party lounge.
I didn't have to ask for the pass; it was offered to me. Oasis is indeed a contract lounge for RJ and a bunch of other airlines, but it comes up on the OW website and the lounge itself has the RJ (and LAN) logo on the sign at the entrance.
Old Jan 19, 09, 9:52 pm
Suspended

I didn't have to ask for the pass; it was offered to me. Oasis is indeed a contract lounge for RJ and a bunch of other airlines, but it comes up on the OW website and the lounge itself has the RJ (and LAN) logo on the sign at the entrance.
My point was RJ wasnt obligated to give you lounge access since it wasnt a OW operated lounge.
Old Jan 19, 09, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
the TSA agent turned me away
FWIW, the TSA agents do not police who uses which line.
Old Jan 19, 09, 11:01 pm

A few weeks ago, I was traveling on an AA codeshare from JFK-AMM on RJ metal in Y. As an AA Plat, I assumed that I was entitled to use the J security line at the terminal (it's for both J and F), particularly because I was ticketed on an AA flight number, but when I went to do so, the TSA agent turned me away.

Don't feel too bad.

The last time I used the T4 C/F line, (flying SQ in F) it was shorter than the regular lines, but with the constant rush of flight attendends using the C/F line as the staff bypass line, the short line kept getting longer. Then each time they finished, another gaggle of FAs would restretch the line.

Finally, I had to stop giving way and ask the FAs to let me through as I had catch my flight (lounges are annoying pre security). I mentioned that the plane won't leave out them but SQ will without me!

Search this Thread